Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
10 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

A lot have pulled this trick recently, 2015 seems to have been the first summer which showed this pattern (mostly cloudy and unsettled but short lived heat spikes). Really hoping this doesn't become the new norm, I do dislike summers like that.

I think this coming summer could well have short lived heat spikes like recent years as the heat is already building over Spain early.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 19/05/2022 at 00:13, Frost HoIIow said:

Problem I've noticed is the sun. If it's a completely sunny day with no cloud then even in low 20s it can really heat upstairs and take an age to cool down especially if the bedroom is south or west facing and that's even if the night's end up cool as the night's are just too short now before the sun is up again. It's just not cool for long enough to put a dent in the day time solar heating. It's not so bad if it's been like the last few days with cloud mixed in as it's been hovering around 21-22C here upstairs today which is fine but ideally still prefer about 18-19C for a good rest. During that full week of hot weather last July it was 28-29C upstairs some nights, far too uncomfortable for me, some people may like that tropical feel but the duvet was well and truly retired to the wardrobe. 

Luckily for me my bedroom is north facing so I don’t have that problem. It’s been around 20-21 in the bedroom which has been okay, wouldn’t want it any warmer though. 

It has been very sunny today here and despite the forecast high only being 17°C it got very warm in the bathroom as it’s west facing, have to open the window but then sometimes you get wasps flying in.

16 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst I have been happy with this spring for the most part, I must admit that I am a little disappointed with the way May is panning out. Temps have been pleasant and many areas have had some welcome rainfall, but it has been pointlesly cloudy a lot of the time when it was dry.

It reminds me of last August. Pleasant temps but cloudy a lot of the time.

I don't at all mind it being cloudy if it is raining, but if it's going to be dry then what's the point?

I don’t think the sunshine has been too bad really, had a few sunny days here so far this month. And I’d take Cloudy and dry over Cloudy and wet any day!

9 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

grotty morning here rainy cold wind +4c..hopefully brightens up later 

Cold over there in Canada. Colder than most of last winter in the U.K.!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
12 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

A lot have pulled this trick recently, 2015 seems to have been the first summer which showed this pattern (mostly cloudy and unsettled but short lived heat spikes). Really hoping this doesn't become the new norm, I do dislike summers like that.

Not sure if it's me but I get the impression there's a subtle difference between the mostly unsettled summers from 2015-21 (2018 excepted) and the mostly unsettled summers from 2007-12. The 2007-12 summers seemed to have more in the way of overall cool weather (cool by day and by night, compared to the cool day, warm night combination of recent years) and very few extreme short lived heatwaves. There seemed to be more NW-ly types in 2007-12 while perhaps 2015-21 has been more SWly?

The last fifteen years have been pretty poor for summers here.

2007: Poor

2008: Poor

2009: Ok

2010: Ok

2011: Ok

2012: Poor

2013: Good

2014: Good

2015: Poor

2016: Poor

2017: Poor

2018: Good

2019: Poor

2020: Poor

2021: Good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
12 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The last fifteen years have been pretty poor for summers here.

Would rate them similarly in most cases, but slightly differently in one or two, a sign of the differing conditions between north and south.

2007: Poor

Agreed, poor June, poor July, average August.

2008: Poor

Agreed, good June, poorish July, poor August.

2009: Ok

Probably yes overall, though the worst weather occurring right in the middle of summer, in July, perhaps made it seem worse than it was. Good June, wet July, dry but often cloudy and cool August.

2010: Ok

Agreed, good June, average July (dry but rather cloudy) and poor August (cool and increasingly wet)

2011: Ok

Worse in the south, all three months were cool and cloudy with above average rainfall. Ironically in such a persistently warm year, the summer was persistently cool!

That said, none of the three months were absolute shockers. They were all cool-ish, wet-ish and dull-ish.

2012: Poor

Agreed, June 2012 was atrocious and much of July also. From around July 21 to the end of the summer it was better, about average.

2013: Good

Goodish yes, though June was cool and cloudy and August while dry had only average sunshine.

2014: Good

Probably better than 2013 overall in the sense that both June and July were good. Most of August, starting with an ex-hurricane around the 10th, was poor though. Some similarities with 1994, 2006 and 2018 in the sense that August was much worse than the other months.

2015: Poor

Poorish I would say. Nice June, first 10 days of July ok, then July became increasingly unsettled as time went on, and was yet another cloudy July. A poor August.

2016: Poor

Slightly better here, perhaps due to the anticyclonic westerly type in July. Atrocious dull, wet June, but July, while cloudy and often cool, was very dry. August was warm and fairly dry but again only average sunshine, nonetheless, with 2013, it was the only August I'd call at all summery since 2010. Would probably rate this summer average overall.

2017: Poor

Poorish overall. June had a notable hot spell though was unsettled early and late. July was warm and sunny for 10 days, then warm and cloudy before an extreme wet spell of the 2007 or 2012 type began on July 18th, enough to make July poor overall. Cool unsettled August.

2018: Good

Good but not as good as 1983, 1989 or 1995 IMO. Dry but generally cloudy in June until the 20th, though the last 10 days were very sunny, enough to make it sunnier than average. Hot and generally sunny July, though also frequent cloudier days - it wasn't as settled as a month like August 1995. August had a fine warm first week and then was generally cloudy with occasional wet spells.

2019: Poor

Another poorish one, which I missed the first half of due to being overseas. Just as well really by the sounds of it. June sounds like it was very cool and wet, except a brief heat spike at the end. Most of July sounds dry and cloudy, with a more unsettled last two weeks interrupted by that silly heat spike (I think it's a big injustice that this silly spike stole the record from the genuine fine summer of 2003). August was generally unsettled though had one warm sunny week leading up to the bank holiday.

2020: Poor

And another poorish one. A warm but cloudy and unsettled June followed by a dry but cool and cloudy July and a dull wet August aside from around a week of oppressive humid heat.

2021: Good

Poorish here. As is well documented last summer was very different north to south. The first two weeks of June were fine, other than that it was generally cool by day, cloudy and damp, aside from another week of oppressive humid heat in July (very like the 2020 episode) and a dry last 10 days or so of August.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A very warm and muggy 29°C today despite thundery showers overnight. Cooler for the weekend but still a very pleasant 22-23°C forecast.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Almost 16 hours of daylight to 8 hours of darkness now and we're getting those 8 hours of clear sky tonight, rather than during the day. Talk about terrible luck! Would have been a lovely mostly sunny day tomorrow if that clear patch was another 8 hours away!

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

A very warm and muggy 29°C today despite thundery showers overnight. Cooler for the weekend but still a very pleasant 22-23°C forecast.

That would do me! 

• Like 1

Posted

Bordering on chilly today. Grey. Windy. 15c. Quite rubbish for late May. Needed the old winter jacket on again. As for tomorrow.  Met Office says a sunny interval at 20:00. Rest of the day cloud. And cold feeling 16/17. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
18 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Poorish here. As is well documented last summer was very different north to south. The first two weeks of June were fine, other than that it was generally cool by day, cloudy and damp, aside from another week of oppressive humid heat in July (very like the 2020 episode) and a dry last 10 days or so of August.

Summer 2021 was dreadful in the SE, and it probably felt worse because May was cool and unsettled and April was frostier than many winter months. Possibly the worst growing season I've experienced since I took on an allotment in autumn 2012. The first half of June was warm/hot and sunny, but some locations received double their monthly average despite hardly a drop of rain falling in that first half, which means the second half of June must have been close to four times wetter than normal for some places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, al78 said:

Summer 2021 was dreadful in the SE, and it probably felt worse because May was cool and unsettled and April was frostier than many winter months. Possibly the worst growing season I've experienced since I took on an allotment in autumn 2012. The first half of June was warm/hot and sunny, but some locations received double their monthly average despite hardly a drop of rain falling in that first half, which means the second half of June must have been close to four times wetter than normal for some places.

Well, considering last summer gave me my best-ever suntan it couldn't have been that bad?

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, considering last summer gave me my best-ever suntan it couldn't have been that bad?

Suffolk is not the SE. Here in W Sussex it was a poor summer outside the first two weeks of June

3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

There was an abrupt split south of the M4, some places to 2 times there entire summer rainfall from mid June to mid July. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Here in the West Country it was very much a half way house. A lot of the summer’s rainfall came in a few days, particularly in August (which had the longest period of no rain for the whole summer).

The sunny periods were the first half of June and the 12th-23rd July with odd days dotted around August, which spilled into early autumn. 

So I will never view it as a bad summer, just not a good one. Quite ‘meh’ overall. The biggest disappointment was lack of thunder and dry cloudy anticyclonic days in August that are more befitting of September onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
5 hours ago, al78 said:

Suffolk is not the SE. Here in W Sussex it was a poor summer outside the first two weeks of June

So where is Suffolk? Midlands? NE? How is the SE determined?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 hours ago, al78 said:

It is (or was when I last looked) in the southeast of the UK. Or have I slept through some major shifting among the globe's tectonic plates!? Och aye, there's a first time for everything, I suppose!

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, RebsAbbo said:

So where is Suffolk? Midlands? NE? How is the SE determined?

Suffolk is in Eastern England:

640px-East_of_England_in_England.svg.png
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The SE covers the home counties, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Berkshire, Hampshire, maybe Buckinghamshire.

In the context of the region which experienced a wet summer in 2021, the Met Office summer rainfall anomaly map will do:

2021_14_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
8 minutes ago, al78 said:

Suffolk is in Eastern England:

640px-East_of_England_in_England.svg.png
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The SE covers the home counties, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Berkshire, Hampshire, maybe Buckinghamshire.

In the context of the region which experienced a wet summer in 2021, the Met Office summer rainfall anomaly map will do:

2021_14_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.png

I suppose I’m more of a history person rather than a geographer, and as I thought ‘Suffolk’ literally means ‘Southern Folk’, you can see my reasons for the query. If in modern terms we divide the country as you have stated, then fair point ??

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The county of Suffolk (Sudfole, Suthfolc, meaning 'southern folk') was formed from the south part of the kingdom of East Anglia which had been settled by the Angles in the latter half of the 5th century. The most important Anglo-Saxonsettlements appear to have been made at Sudbury and Ipswich. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

I suppose I’m more of a history person rather than a geographer, and as I thought ‘Suffolk’ literally means ‘Southern Folk’, you can see my reasons for the query. If in modern terms we divide the country as you have stated, then fair point ??

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The county of Suffolk (Sudfole, Suthfolc, meaning 'southern folk') was formed from the south part of the kingdom of East Anglia which had been settled by the Angles in the latter half of the 5th century. The most important Anglo-Saxonsettlements appear to have been made at Sudbury and Ipswich. 

I think we are both right depending on the era. The regions have changed historically and I think Suffolk was once classed as a south east county. For current administration purposes today, it looks to be classed as eastern England.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Often accents are tied to a geographical area. Not sure what people from Suffolk sound like, if they sound more like someone from Norfolk then definitely it's more a Eastern/East Anglian county rather than SE but if they sound more like people from Essex then definitely SE. Not to do with above but Lincolnshire is a funny county as I know people in the north of it definitely sound like northern folk but in the south of the county there's a bit of an East Anglia influence. It's quite a long county by area so that's why. Probably not on topic so I'll leave it there.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

The administrative map just muddies the water tbh and is only for governmental convenience and really is not geographically representative, it just pigeon holes for want of a better description! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 hours ago, Alderc said:

There was an abrupt split south of the M4, some places to 2 times there entire summer rainfall from mid June to mid July. 

The infamous July 12th - over 70mm of rain falling in 6 hours here.

historic_rainbyyear.thumb.png.c1135b2915907081a2b810263c57772d.png

• Like 1

While not surprising once again the strong sea breeze is doing us no favours. Temps pinned back to just 15-16C right on the coast and was defo a mistake to wear just shorts and tshirt for my beach walk….

Posted

23c, gentle breeze, sunshine, what's not to like? been a great spring, hopefully it'll carry on through summer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Ahh, today almost made it to a full wall to wall sunshine day but unfortunately from around 4pm, mammoth convection has rendered the sky to a dull grey sheet now. Was still a brilliant day overall, just ends on a sour note with the last 4 and a half hours of daylight being overcast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So long as it staid like this for the rest of Summer with the odd wet spell that would be perfect......one can pray it does, i for one don't want the crap Spain has been enduring recently, must have been so uncomfortable.

• Like 2