Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

A lot of moaning going on but may has been above average temp wise, for spring it’s been really good in my view, after may 2021 I just cannot complain as I know how bad it actually can be, and tbh those desperate for blue skies and 27° should move abroad, technically even in the height of summer the average temp is only 23° across the London south east area, so even if we stuck to averages we wouldn’t even see a 27 or 30 

And it’s reached 19° here in London despite the cloud and rain, real muggy feel! Again could be the opposite, cold and wet and only 12° 

my garden is very happy to get the rain, think some people just like moaning 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have no complaints about today as we have had many dry sunny usable days and am sure there will be plenty more to come. The odd rainy day here and there is what gives us such beautiful green and lush countryside, and is also essential for farmers and gardeners. 

Obviously I wouldn't want a washout for weeks on end, but I do think people tend to underestimate the importance of rain.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

6 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I have no complaints about today as we have had many dry sunny days and am sure there will be plenty more to come. The odd rainy day here and there is what gives us such beautiful green and lush countryside, and is also essential for farmers and gardeners. 

Obviously I wouldn't want a washout for weeks on end, but I do think people tend to underestimate the importance of rain.

Exactly the thing I love about the uk is the lush Green that we get unlike places like Spain which just so dry! I don’t want that here, lush and Green and the only way is through wet days, we do need periods of wet and unsettled weather, it’s a good thing! And it has been extremely dry here, we are quite a bit down on rainfall, even today has only given me 1mm, no where near enough! My only hope now is catching a thunderstorm 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, kieranweatherfan said:

A lot of moaning going on but may has been above average temp wise, for spring it’s been really good in my view, after may 2021 I just cannot complain as I know how bad it actually can be, and tbh those desperate for blue skies and 27° should move abroad, technically even in the height of summer the average temp is only 23° across the London south east area, so even if we stuck to averages we wouldn’t even see a 27 or 30 

And it’s reached 19° here in London despite the cloud and rain, real muggy feel! Again could be the opposite, cold and wet and only 12° 

my garden is very happy to get the rain, think some people just like moaning 

Not everyone can move abroad.

Most people don’t have a choice, mostly because of financial and family ties.

1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I have no complaints about today as we have had many dry sunny usable days and am sure there will be plenty more to come. The odd rainy day here and there is what gives us such beautiful green and lush countryside, and is also essential for farmers and gardeners. 

I don’t think they do. After what was a damp and wet autumn and early winter, we are due a nice long dry period of sunny and even hot weather.

Yes, today is ok, but I wouldn’t be happy if we had a number of days every week being wet and unsettled until August. 

8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not everyone can move abroad.

Most people don’t have a choice, mostly because of financial and family ties.

I don’t think they do. After what was a damp and wet autumn and early winter, we are due a nice long dry period of sunny and even hot weather.

Yes, today is ok, but I wouldn’t be happy if we had a number of days every week being wet and unsettled until August. 

Although here in London we still have got the best of the weather this spring, been an above spring, above average sun through march and April and below average rainfall so on balance I am bloody pleased with spring, and I am a nice brown colour now as had plenty of sunbathing days too! 

Posted
1 minute ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Although here in London we still have got the best of the weather this spring, been an above spring, above average sun through march and April and below average rainfall so on balance I am bloody pleased with spring, and I am a nice brown colour now as had plenty of sunbathing days too! 

Yes I can’t knock the spring, with the sunny spells in late March and during April. It’s been a gradual improvement, with the chilly air still lingering until a week or so ago. 

Now the nights and mornings are starting to get warmer. Hopefully the cold nights won’t be back until September. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful late spring day here with 23°C reached, barely a cloud in the sky and just a very light breeze. Absolutely lovely  

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

Is that for real? 

Yes. Interesting to hear Darren Bett this evening talk about how they hadn't "got the detail right" today. Good fella. However, it feels to me like a wee bit more than "detail". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shuggee said:

Yes. Interesting to hear Darren Bett this evening talk about how they hadn't "got the detail right" today. Good fella. However, it feels to me like a wee bit more than "detail". 

The BBC got the forecast wrong today.  The forecast was for 22 degrees and sunny weather when I checked the BBC website this morning.  The Met Office forecast was much more accurate.  I was in London today and you could tell that a lot of people must have been caught out by the BBC forecast.  I lot of people in shorts and T shirts not expecting the rain .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Horrible grey day weather wise but had a great day with friends and family ! Hopefully better sunnier weather is a'coming

Posted

Back in Lancaster since the 5th and it has been generally been cooler and cloudier/windier than back home in Devon, sometimes by several degrees (e.g. a few days of 19-21C there have been low teens up here here). 

The exception is yesterday which was lovely and today which was fairly warm, probably touched 20C.

It is usually better in the south. With that context it's interesting the strongest moaning usually comes from the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 hours ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Exactly the thing I love about the uk is the lush Green that we get unlike places like Spain which just so dry! I don’t want that here, lush and Green and the only way is through wet days, we do need periods of wet and unsettled weather, it’s a good thing! And it has been extremely dry here, we are quite a bit down on rainfall, even today has only given me 1mm, no where near enough! My only hope now is catching a thunderstorm 

Agree. 2018 was grim with everything scorched yellow and brown. I loved watching the greenery slowly come back once the weather broke.

• Like 1

A spectacular night with the added bonus of proper rain. Why can’t it be like that all the time. Overnight TS dumping lots of rain. Defo don’t need anymore rain for a few weeks now, vegetation will be going wild. 

Posted

This spring has been vastly better than last spring, but still a little disappointing IMO.

Saturday was beautiful though - 21 degrees which felt like 30 because i'm so used to it being cool and rank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

A spectacular night with the added bonus of proper rain. Why can’t it be like that all the time. Overnight TS dumping lots of rain. Defo don’t need anymore rain for a few weeks now, vegetation will be going wild. 

Lucky   it missed us in Exeter by 30 miles, all we had was very light rain for 10 minutes and could see the flashes far in the distance, can't remember the last time we had torrential rain here, maybe since last autumn and it's been over 2 years since we had a decent thunderstorm

Posted

Apart from Tuesday, the forecast looks absolutely diabolical with little to no sunshine 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Apart from Tuesday, the forecast looks absolutely diabolical with little to no sunshine 

Diabolical? Seriously?

I don't know where you are in the south east but look at the Met Office forecast for Sevenoaks - it's not exactly wall to wall sunshine but it's pleasantly warm and mostly dry:

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Sevenoaks 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

Diabolical? Seriously?

I don't know where you are in the south east but look at the Met Office forecast for Sevenoaks - it's not exactly wall to wall sunshine but it's pleasantly warm and mostly dry:

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Sevenoaks 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UV

I'm not complaining about the temperature or lack of rain, more so about the lack of sunshine coming when i have 5 days off work from Thursday. Perhaps "diabolical" is not the right word but its more out of frustration that every day i have off in May is overcast or mostly cloudy.

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

Diabolical? Seriously?

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

If its not sunny, then 21-24c is a waste.

I really hope we don't get stuck into another dull summer set up, which was basically the majority of summer 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, SunSean said:

I'm not complaining about the temperature or lack of rain, more so about the lack of sunshine coming when i have 5 days off work from Thursday. Perhaps "diabolical" is not the right word but its more out of frustration that every day i have off in May is overcast or mostly cloudy.

That's fair enough, I'd also prefer that it was sunny - and yes, your use of the word 'diabolical' was a little OTT but perfectly understandable. It can though be difficult to forecast cloud cover so wait and see what it's really like on Thursday onwards, it may be okay. I find that cloud cover forecasts change almost hourly, especially a few days ahead.

30 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

If its not sunny, then 21-24c is a waste.

I really hope we don't get stuck into another dull summer set up, which was basically the majority of summer 2021.

Agreed, but I could put up with it if it's also warm and dry. I would though prefer warm, dry AND sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

So much for the "low cloud first thing becoming bright and warm later" forecast..

Turned into full-on cyclonic SWly now, low cloud most of the day so far and now drizzle showers. Second consecutive day with poorer weather than anticipated.

Essentially, the weather has now been predominantly unsettled since last Tuesday. And now they're talking about the next front making inroads tomorrow, rather than Wed as originally anticipated. A poor week indeed!

And GFS 06Z is rather changeable for the remainder of the month - not terrible, but two separate low pressure areas, one around the 23rd-24th and another around the 28th-29th. High chance I suspect that this month will end up somewhat wetter than normal in this part of the country. With the frequent claggy, humid southwesterlies, it's more akin to a typical modern August than a typical May, which ought to be seeing more in the way of northerlies, easterlies and low-DP anticyclonic conditions. Maybe we'll have typical May synoptics in August. One can live in hope...

There always was a signal for an unusually westerly month from the models at the end of April, but it seems to have turned more cyclonic than anticipated.

In better news, there was some thunder overhead around 11-12pm last night. Not sure if it's compensation for the grot we endured yesterday and today though!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
17 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

So much for the "low cloud first thing becoming bright and warm later" forecast..

Turned into full-on cyclonic SWly now, low cloud most of the day so far and now drizzle showers. Second consecutive day with poorer weather than anticipated.

Essentially, the weather has now been predominantly unsettled since last Tuesday. And now they're talking about the next front making inroads tomorrow, rather than Wed as originally anticipated. A poor week indeed!

And GFS 06Z is rather changeable for the remainder of the month - not terrible, but two separate low pressure areas, one around the 23rd-24th and another around the 28th-29th. High chance I suspect that this month will end up somewhat wetter than normal in this part of the country. With the frequent claggy, humid southwesterlies, it's more akin to a typical modern August than a typical May, which ought to be seeing more in the way of northerlies, easterlies and low-DP anticyclonic conditions. Maybe we'll have typical May synoptics in August. One can live in hope...

There always was a signal for an unusually westerly month from the models at the end of April, but it seems to have turned more cyclonic than anticipated.

In better news, there was some thunder overhead around 11-12pm last night. Not sure if it's compensation for the grot we endured yesterday and today though!

16522.thumb.jpg.64ecc163859062e46d1aecff320ff129.jpg

Very poor forecasting. BBC from an hour ago has it clear everywhere and isolated showers. Instead we've got a big lump of cloud working its way up with attendant rain.

• Thanks 1