Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
20 hours ago, markyo said:

I second that, a wet Summer with the odd warm spell is much needed, rainfall totals have been shockingly low. Plus it would help with the flipping hay fever which is a real pain.

Spare the rain, it makes my hayfever worse...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
20 hours ago, markyo said:

I second that, a wet Summer with the odd warm spell is much needed, rainfall totals have been shockingly low. Plus it would help with the flipping hay fever which is a real pain.

Sod you and the horse you rode in on   I'm hoping for a warm sunny summer with a weekly night time thunderstorm to water the gardens, that would be my ideal

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
42 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Sod you and the horse you rode in on   I'm hoping for a warm sunny summer with a weekly night time thunderstorm to water the gardens, that would be my ideal

Each to their own......I'll saddle up now and get riding

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 hours ago, Scorcher said:

The apparent collapse of what looked like a much needed strong area of high pressure next week is certainly pushing me towards taking a break from model watching.

Basically two potential very warm/hot spells have gone up in smoke in the space of a 10 days or so. This seems extraordinarily unlucky, even for the UK.

After a sunny April, this is looking like it's going to be a very dull May now in these parts- which is a massive shame in what is usually one of the sunniest months of the year.''

It just makes me question the point of model-watching. At least the man on the street doesn't experience the disappointment that we do. In this case I definitely think ignorance is bliss. Being attached to outcomes is a recipe for frustration in life.

I'm nae bothered if the next month is unsettled, so long as it's warmer than average. Perfect growing conditions?

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Scorcher said:

The apparent collapse of what looked like a much needed strong area of high pressure next week is certainly pushing me towards taking a break from model watching.

Basically two potential very warm/hot spells have gone up in smoke in the space of a 10 days or so. This seems extraordinarily unlucky, even for the UK.

After a sunny April, this is looking like it's going to be a very dull May now in these parts- which is a massive shame in what is usually one of the sunniest months of the year.''

It just makes me question the point of model-watching. At least the man on the street doesn't experience the disappointment that we do. In this case I definitely think ignorance is bliss. Being attached to outcomes is a recipe for frustration in life.

This is the problem with looking too far ahead ("too far" being more than two days given how rubbish the models often are with changes in weather patterns, especially in situations like high pressure being encroached upon by low pressure). I do share your sentiments, it's incredibly disappointing, especially when most of the models show really nice conditions a few days out only to suddenly change.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm nae bothered if the next month is unsettled, so long as it's warmer than average. Perfect growing conditions?

Warm and wet not my cup of tea in the summer unless the rain comes at night then ideal! 

• Like 2

Posted

Even though the projected warm spell has watered down a bit (no pun intended),  the month overall could be near record breaking in terms of temperature. There's never been a 14C CET May, could be on the cusp of something very rare if the warmth continues. 

This May has felt completely different to the one previous so its a bit strange we still haven't reached >20C yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Even though the projected warm spell has watered down a bit (no pun intended),  the month overall could be near record breaking in terms of temperature. There's never been a 14C CET May, could be on the cusp of something very rare if the warmth continues. 

This May has felt completely different to the one previous so its a bit strange we still haven't reached >20C yet.

The record for May is 15.1C from 1833. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
30 minutes ago, Frigid said:

We had one day (at Manchester airport) in April when it reached 20C, 19C on my weather station but other than that no higher so far this year officially at the airport. Not unheard of though to be cool up until this point. I think we have a chance of possibly equalling that 20C in the next 5 days but it's doubtful it will get any higher in our region at this stage but small tweaks to the air mass can still happen. Despite the strong May sun we're still not in the warmest part of the year until around late June to late August so there's ample time to get temps well above 20C. It's like in 1995 there was about 3 days in May or thereabouts where it was warm and a bit above 20C but other than that it was poor for proper warmth until after mid June then the rest is history and I believe it's still the hottest summer in our region ranking above 1976 and 2018.

1995 temp graph for Manchester airport. Rather impressive.

klibild?WMO=03334&ZEITRAUM=16&ZEIT=31081

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

can’t wait for Sundays BBQ…what a complete mess this has turned into. Can’t even make this garbage up. One of the biggest model backtrack I can remember. 

4ED6961B-6F14-4741-A78A-52FDC8CBA8A2.thumb.jpeg.91acd70de33168369ad88942b2346529.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

can’t wait for Sundays BBQ…what a complete mess this has turned into. Can’t even make this garbage up. One of the biggest model backtrack I can remember. 

4ED6961B-6F14-4741-A78A-52FDC8CBA8A2.thumb.jpeg.91acd70de33168369ad88942b2346529.jpeg

It will be a boil-B-q. Heat up the rainwater fallen inside the BBQ and you could do all manner of things. Boiled steak anyone?

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
41 minutes ago, Alderc said:

not the first GFS run to show max of 11 degrees, can be warmer in Dec to Feb

• Thanks 1

Posted

Still wearing a heavy coat and 4-5 layers to work every day. Still taking vitamin D supplements because there's very limited sun.

We genuinely have the most depressing climate on the planet.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, all I can say is that the models of late have made a real dog's breakfast of the forecasts if looking more than 48 hours ahead. Shockingly bad.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Still wearing a heavy coat and 4-5 layers to work every day. Still taking vitamin D supplements because there's very limited sun.

Yup, booked today off last Friday when the forecast was infinitely better. Rolled up to the golf course just now, windy, cold low Cu rapidly filling. Not fun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Sounds like you have an extreme cold intolerance. If you need 4-5 layers and a heavy coat to deal with temperatures well into double figures in May when the sun is strong, how do you cope in even an average winter cold snap?

We have nowhere near the most depressing climate on the planet. Anyone who makes a statement like that is giving the impression they have little knowledge of the world outside the UK. Lets see how happy you'd be if this sort of thing occurred occasionally in our climate:

D310-0736-1181_435050.jpg
WWW.WORLDVISION.ORG

Typhoon Haiyan, also known as Typhoon Yolanda, hit the Philippines on Nov. 8, 2013, as a Category 5 storm. It killed 6,000 people and affected 14 million.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, al78 said:

Sounds like you have an extreme cold intolerance. If you need 4-5 layers and a heavy coat to deal with temperatures well into double figures in May when the sun is strong, how do you cope in even an average winter cold snap?

We have nowhere near the most depressing climate on the planet. Anyone who makes a statement like that is giving the impression they have little knowledge of the world outside the UK. Lets see how happy you'd be if this sort of thing occurred occasionally in our climate:

WWW.WORLDVISION.ORG

Typhoon Haiyan, also known as Typhoon Yolanda, hit the Philippines on Nov. 8, 2013, as a Category 5 storm. It killed 6,000 people and affected 14 million.

Maybe the most depressing is a strong statement, but I do agree that our climate is one of the most dreary and bland at times.

Currently in Latvia, and while the weather hasn’t been warm enough for the beach(usually have to wait until late May or early June), it’s been pleasant in the sunny spells. 

The summer can be unsettled at times, but the sunny spells and hot weather tend to be more reliable even over here. And every winter, even a mild one by Latvian standards will produce the goods, even a poor winter will give a week or two of falling and settling snow.

Latvia has a slight advantage as it’s only body of water is the Baltic, and everywhere else is landlocked. Better opportunity to cool down in winter, and warm up in summer.

The one thing I will say is, London and the south is the best place when the weather is sunny and warm, and lovely when it does get a covering of snow. Unfortunately events like February 2018, or even January 2021 don’t happen every year, and those snowy years of 2008/9 through 2012/13 feel like a distant memory. 

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, al78 said:

WWW.WORLDVISION.ORG

Because as I said, sun has been at a premium. In direct sun, yes, it feels pleasantly warm - but the majority of days here have been overcast/cloudy with a fairly significant cool breeze. I'm sorry but 14 degrees with a "feels like" temperature of 10 isn't warm enough for me to enjoy without multiple layers of clothing.

There was one morning (last Saturday or the one before) where it was very sunny and calm and that felt extremely pleasant sat in my garden in just a jumper. Same for last Friday where up until the early afternoon, it was sunny before the infill arrived like clockwork.

We DID have a nice period of weather towards the end of March which I am very thankful for (especially following last year's spring which was honestly the worst in living memory) but it has been largely disappointing ever since.

And describing our climate as "depressing" is relative is it not? I am a weather-enthusiast and find the weather interesting - hence why I am on a weather forum. The more extreme the weather, the more interesting. In the UK, we don't often see those extremes. We often have cool, damp and often disgustingly wet winters devoid of any snow and we often have cool, damp and often disgustingly wet summers devoid of any storms/prolonged heat. We exist in a state of perpetual autumn. Our climate is very bland. Very mild. Very Coldplay. 

The fact the heat/storms are often within 50-100 miles of the U.K. in France adds to the frustration because it is so close geographically. 

You can gatekeep what constitutes interesting weather and insult me by speculating on my perceived lack of knowledge all you like - doesn't change the fact the U.K. climate is terrible for anyone with an interest in "interesting" weather.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Because as I said, sun has been at a premium. In direct sun, yes, it feels pleasantly warm - but the majority of days here have been overcast/cloudy with a fairly significant cool breeze. I'm sorry but 14 degrees with a "feels like" temperature of 10 isn't warm enough for me to enjoy without multiple layers of clothing.

There was one morning (last Saturday or the one before) where it was very sunny and calm and that felt extremely pleasant sat in my garden in just a jumper. Same for last Friday where up until the early afternoon, it was sunny before the infill arrived like clockwork.

We DID have a nice period of weather towards the end of March which I am very thankful for (especially following last year's spring which was honestly the worst in living memory) but it has been largely disappointing ever since.

And describing our climate as "depressing" is relative is it not? I am a weather-enthusiast and find the weather interesting - hence why I am on a weather forum. The more extreme the weather, the more interesting. In the UK, we don't often see those extremes. We often have cool, damp and often disgustingly wet winters devoid of any snow and we often have cool, damp and often disgustingly wet summers devoid of any storms/prolonged heat. We exist in a state of perpetual autumn. Our climate is very bland. Very mild. Very Coldplay. 

The fact the heat/storms are often within 50-100 miles of the U.K. in France adds to the frustration because it is so close geographically. 

You can gatekeep what constitutes interesting weather and insult me by speculating on my perceived lack of knowledge all you like - doesn't change the fact the U.K. climate is terrible for anyone with an interest in "interesting" weather.

I’m with you here.

Temps of 14-19c can be pleasant in the warm May sunshine,  but add cloud and wind to the mix, and these temps are cold.

I’m sitting in the garden right now, and it’s 16-18c in latvia, but if the clouds block out the sun it feels noticeably cool.

We’ve had some warm enough weather to be able to sit out in a t shirt, but it’s nowhere warm enough for beach days. Needs to be at least a solid 22c or above with light winds to feel comfortable. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes, we do have terrible summers. Way too much cloud and damp for my liking. It doesn’t make a blind bit of difference if the summer is warmer than average, if it’s a cloudy one. It’s still not a good summer if the sunshine levels are poor.

The last summer with decent sunshine levels was 2018, as 2020 fell apart in June, and only had a couple of weeks of hot or warm sunny days between June and mid August. 

The spring of 2020 was wonderful, but by July it felt like a distant memory. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Interesting fact for May 2022 so far. One of my closest weather stations, Shoeburyness, has this month a whole 46.2 hours of sunshine behind May 2021! And we all know how bad last May was haha. At least it has been dryer this time around although not all that sunny but i am surprised to see it so far behind last May at this point. Also what happened to the weather today, it's been a grey sheet for hours despite the forecast looking decent for sun!