Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
4 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Interesting fact for May 2022 so far. One of my closest weather stations, Shoeburyness, has this month a whole 46.2 hours of sunshine behind May 2021! And we all know how bad last May was haha. At least it has been dryer this time around although not all that sunny but i am surprised to see it so far behind last May at this point. Also what happened to the weather today, it's been a grey sheet for hours despite the forecast looking decent for sun!

My uncle said the same. He called me and said London was covered by a thick white sky. He was hoping for the 23c and sunshine.

I fly back tomorrow, so might make it back to London before the storms roll in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, al78 said:

We have nowhere near the most depressing climate on the planet. Anyone who makes a statement like that is giving the impression they have little knowledge of the world outside the UK. Lets see how happy you'd be if this sort of thing occurred occasionally in our climate:

D310-0736-1181_435050.jpg
WWW.WORLDVISION.ORG

Typhoon Haiyan, also known as Typhoon Yolanda, hit the Philippines on Nov. 8, 2013, as a Category 5 storm. It killed 6,000 people and affected 14 million.

That is a depressing weather event, not indicative of a depressing climate.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

Well, all I can say is that the models of late have made a real dog's breakfast of the forecasts if looking more than 48 hours ahead. Shockingly bad.

Very true. Yet the 'experts' are quick to tell us what it's going to he like in 30 years. You gotta laugh.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Very true. Yet the 'experts' are quick to tell us what it's going to he like in 30 years. You gotta laugh.  

Whatever!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
17 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Climate and weather are completely separate things.  Here's a useful analogy:

Turn the stove on and put a pot of water on it.  You know it's going to heat up.  That's climate.  Now try and predict exactly the position that each bubble will form on the bottom of the pot.  Extremely difficult.  That's weather.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Not complaining here, been a beautiful spring, lots of t shirt and shorts weather, highest temp so far 23° looks like we could beat that over next few days! 
anyway sun is shining and top temp today 22° here (London)

Can you pop your rough location into your profile please, that way it will show up with your info to the left of each post and you won't need to type it in. 

Posted
15 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not the first GFS run to show max of 11 degrees, can be warmer in Dec to Feb

This map can't be taken literally. The met office made it clear in the weekend forecast that the uncertainty is huge for the potential rain coming up from France. They admitted it would basically be a nowcast. If the showers miss and the sun appears, it will be warm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Weather and climate are different things ?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Azazel said:

Still wearing a heavy coat and 4-5 layers to work every day. Still taking vitamin D supplements because there's very limited sun.

We genuinely have the most depressing climate on the planet.

I'm about the same mate! A bra (obviously!), vest, long sleeved top, merino wool jumper and then my coat!

Posted
6 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm about the same mate! A bra (obviously!), vest, long sleeved top, merino wool jumper and then my coat!

And nothing from the waist down? Must get a bit ermmm drafty?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

This map can't be taken literally. The met office made it clear in the weekend forecast that the uncertainty is huge for the potential rain coming up from France. They admitted it would basically be a nowcast. If the showers miss and the sun appears, it will be warm.

I know, but given their professional status they should be more cautious when this level of uncertainty creeps in. Two days ago they were still promising a glorious weekend (and Friday) for almost all. Even todays turned into a mess.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I know, but given their professional status they should be more cautious when this level of uncertainty creeps in. Two days ago they were still promising a glorious weekend (and Friday) for almost all. Even todays turned into a mess.

Yes, it's a shame these models don't come with some sort of written context, to help people understand what the variables are. I find the met office manned forecasts to be the best information, as the human interpretation adds layers of context that helps to make sense of it all. I find that if I've been told not to trust what is forecast currently, because of uncertainty, then I can cope when a possible decent spell of weather doesn't materialise. 

9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Not completely, plenty of sunshine here now! Some cloud this morning but that seems to have melted away with plenty of sunshine 

Posted
2 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Climate and weather are completely separate things.  Here's a useful analogy:

Turn the stove on and put a pot of water on it.  You know it's going to heat up.  That's climate.  Now try and predict exactly the position that each bubble will form on the bottom of the pot.  Extremely difficult.  That's weather.

Who needs a pot of hot water when you can have a 1.2bn supercomputer. Bargain.  

Screenshot_20220513_132052.jpg

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

And nothing from the waist down? Must get a bit ermmm drafty?

Knickers, tights and leggings lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
4 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Who needs a pot of hot water when you can have a 1.2bn supercomputer. Bargain.  

Screenshot_20220513_132052.jpg

Much cheaper to buy a ton of seewead. ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

If it can stay like this till the end of June i would be very happy, temps not bad at all, low humidity, nice breeze, perfect shorts and t shirt weather!  Looking very good so far this Spring.

• Like 1

Posted

For the NW quarter of the UK which includes majority of Scotland, all of N Ireland and Cumvbria, western edge of Lancashire and far NW Wales/ Anglesey/ Snowdinia, a SW or West airstream whatever the time of year tends to bring low grey dank skies at best, humid muck in the summer, mild blandness other times of year. Usually also rain or showers or just drizzle. It's our most common airstream and I suspect few other parts of the world are as dull as when such airstreams prevail. The long fetch SW airstream the worse direction of them all! Unfortunately our summers tend to see more in the way of west and SW airstreams and we are coming out of the quarter of the year when less likely mid Feb to mid May, the NW dry season..

Posted
24 minutes ago, markyo said:

If it can stay like this till the end of June i would be very happy, temps not bad at all, low humidity, nice breeze, perfect shorts and t shirt weather!  Looking very good so far this Spring.

You must be one of those blokes who go about in t shirts and shorts and i'm still in my big winter coat! Still fair play to you.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Not normally one to moan  but has been chillier than I thought today, thought the wind would be a lot lighter.  Jumper has been firmly on most of the day.

Still, a chance of thundery activity tomorrow night, we will see what happens

• Like 1

As mentioned last night someone is going to cop a shocker on Sunday. Could be a really poor day across a large area. Arpege on board with GFS now on mid to high teens at best for most. Just a few areas 20-22C.

Posted
22 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

You must be one of those blokes who go about in t shirts and shorts and i'm still in my big winter coat! Still fair play to you.

As I've always said we all feel the weather differently, if your cold put a big winter coat on, if your hot put shorts on, that's what makes us each unique!.....ok i admit I'm a bit odd, clearing snow off a car in the depths of Winter in shorts does get a few odd looks! And cry like a baby when it even gets remotely warm, i hold my hand up to that one obviously!  As you well put, fair play to either preference, tolerance of weather is a very personal thing, nothing to criticise  anyone for.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

As I've always said we all feel the weather differently, if your cold put a big winter coat on, if your hot put shorts on, that's what makes us each unique!.....ok i admit I'm a bit odd, clearing snow off a car in the depths of Winter in shorts does get a few odd looks! And cry like a baby when it even gets remotely warm, i hold my hand up to that one obviously!  As you well put, fair play to either preference, tolerance of weather is a very personal thing, nothing to criticise  anyone for.

Yes of course mate. How can you criticise someone for the weather they like? I know i do my fair share of moaning on here because that is what we come on here to do. My tongue is in cheek most of the time and shouldn't be taken too seriously.  But looking ok for tomorrow in my neck of the woods. 22c apparently.  Might be a beer garden afternoon . FA cup final.  Perfect.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes of course mate. How can you criticise someone for the weather they like? I know i do my fair share of moaning on here because that is what we come on here to do. My tongue is in cheek most of the time and shouldn't be taken too seriously.  But looking ok for tomorrow in my neck of the woods. 22c apparently.  Might be a beer garden afternoon . FA cup final.  Perfect.

Beer garden....FA cup....22c, light breeze, nice sunshine.....Utopia in my opinion,,enjoy!

• Like 1