Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
21 hours ago, al78 said:

Suffolk is in Eastern England:

640px-East_of_England_in_England.svg.png
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The SE covers the home counties, Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Berkshire, Hampshire, maybe Buckinghamshire.

In the context of the region which experienced a wet summer in 2021, the Met Office summer rainfall anomaly map will do:

2021_14_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.png

It was an unusual summer, SE much wetter than average compared to NW. I think there was alot of high pressure to the NW hence driest conditions relative to average in the NW, low pressure systems nudged in from France time to time giving wet weather in SE as well as a few bursts of heat from memory.

It was a decent summer here, better than 2020 and 2019.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 20/05/2022 at 22:57, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Bordering on chilly today. Grey. Windy. 15c. Quite rubbish for late May. Needed the old winter jacket on again. As for tomorrow.  Met Office says a sunny interval at 20:00. Rest of the day cloud. And cold feeling 16/17. 

I though it felt quite warm on Friday personally, despite the intermittent rain and cloud.

19 hours ago, Mapantz said:

The infamous July 12th - over 70mm of rain falling in 6 hours here.

historic_rainbyyear.thumb.png.c1135b2915907081a2b810263c57772d.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Wow! At least it all fell during the early morning.

Yesterday was mostly cloudy and breezy and cool at 15C. Went for a walk in the park decided to put hoodie and joggers on. As soon as I got to park sun came out and I was too warm typical. If I had put shorts and T-shirt on you can guarantee it would have stayed cloudy and breezy. Amazing the difference the sun makes at this time of year.

Today: Overcast but dry. Currently 17°C.

Impending disaster for the start of June, northerly blocking the upper trough of doom taking aim at the UK……

Posted

I’ve noticed in this warmer spring nature is significantly ahead of last year. My lupins are fully out now and last year didn’t start blooming until the very end of May.

• Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, damianslaw said:

It was an unusual summer, SE much wetter than average compared to NW. I think there was alot of high pressure to the NW hence driest conditions relative to average in the NW, low pressure systems nudged in from France time to time giving wet weather in SE as well as a few bursts of heat from memory.

It was a decent summer here, better than 2020 and 2019.  

The SE pretty much accumulated all of that above average rainfall in the period of the 15th June to 15th July. I think the local weather station recorded something like 30hrs of sunshine over that period (we got some unlucky training convection on a couple of days which meant very locally we got even less than others!) and rainfall for that time period was running somewhere between 200-250% of normal. Horrible spell of weather, right up there with some of the worst I've ever experienced for the time of year.

I'm sure the further NW you go the better last summer was, and IMO there were some good spells even down here (early June was decent for example) BUT that month period was so severe in its poorness that I can only classify it as a bad summer here, would have needed a really cracking August to make up for it and that just never came.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

For today, at least, May 2021 appears to have made a comeback.

Unseasonably dull and windy. Very low light levels for pre-5pm within one month of the solstice. Not late-May like in the least!

Looks like we're stuck with it until Wednesday. I swear I saw a "pictorial" forecast on Friday evening suggesting fair weather for the south the first half of the week - evidently that's changed. At least it's a spell of bad weather between potentially two fine weekends. In a month which will probably end up duller and wetter than average, we've been quite lucky with weekend weather, it seems. In particular we seem to have now had a very long run of mostly sunny Saturdays on the trot, possibly going right back to Easter Saturday.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
7 hours ago, Alderc said:

Impending disaster for the start of June, northerly blocking the upper trough of doom taking aim at the UK……

Hoping it's not going to do another 2012, i.e. following a reasonably decent weekend for the 'normal' Bank Holiday (looks quite likely) we then end up with dull, cool and wet. If so, shows the weather gods are not royalists.. don't think there's been a single Jubilee weekend which has had fine weather! 2002 was probably the best of a bad lot.

If we do get another unsettled June this year (and I admit it's too early to tell) that will be four in a row. To be fair, though, the Met Office text forecast is not suggesting that at all, instead hinting at some very pleasant dry but not excessively hot weather.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, kold weather said:

The SE pretty much accumulated all of that above average rainfall in the period of the 15th June to 15th July. I think the local weather station recorded something like 30hrs of sunshine over that period (we got some unlucky training convection on a couple of days which meant very locally we got even less than others!) and rainfall for that time period was running somewhere between 200-250% of normal. Horrible spell of weather, right up there with some of the worst I've ever experienced for the time of year.

That was the peak of it. It didn't, to me, seem quite as bad as 2007 or 2012, perhaps helped by the fact that the lows, while frequent (typically one at the weekend and one midweek, each week) were slack and flabby which meant we didn't get the torrential driving rain and winds that typified parts of summer 2007 and 2012. However it was notable for being persistently dull, cool and damp.

Following the humidwave of mid-July there was then a further unsettled, cool and dull spell from around July 25 to perhaps August 20, though it was somewhat less dull and less wet than the earlier one. That one was very zonal and Atlantic-driven, while the earlier one seemed to be dominated by lows moving NE from Biscay or even NW from the continent.

5 hours ago, kold weather said:

I'm sure the further NW you go the better last summer was, and IMO there were some good spells even down here (early June was decent for example) BUT that month period was so severe in its poorness that I can only classify it as a bad summer here, would have needed a really cracking August to make up for it and that just never came.

I'd agree, though if the second unsettled period from around July 25-August 20 hadn't happened, and it had been close to average instead, then the summer might have had a chance at being average rather than poor.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Start of June looking good for my bank balance, no uncomfortable heat or vile humidity issues on the radar as yet....praying it continues!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Strange old May no real massive variation of temperature dry finishing off a dry spring. Never too warm and a absence of any cold days and nights.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Hoping it's not going to do another 2012, i.e. following a reasonably decent weekend for the 'normal' Bank Holiday (looks quite likely) we then end up with dull, cool and wet. If so, shows the weather gods are not royalists.. don't think there's been a single Jubilee weekend which has had fine weather! 2002 was probably the best of a bad lot.

It would take a lot to beat 2012 in terms of cool and wet weather. IIRC on the Jubilee weekend, the Sunday it was raining all day and temperatures didn't exceed 9C. Truly something considering it was near the Summer solstice..

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, TheOgre said:

I’ve noticed in this warmer spring nature is significantly ahead of last year. My lupins are fully out now and last year didn’t start blooming until the very end of May.

Last year brought very late growth due to the very cold April and then wet cold May. I suspect we are on a par with 2020.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Last year brought very late growth due to the very cold April and then wet cold May. I suspect we are on a par with 2020.  

Yes seems quite normal so far. As usual the ash trees round here come into leaf a few weeks later than other types of tree (only fully came into leaf last week) but it's always earlier to shed too in Autumn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes seems quite normal so far. As usual the ash trees round here come into leaf a few weeks later than other types of tree (only fully came into leaf last week) but it's always earlier to shed too in Autumn.

It was noticeable round here last May the lack of growth on trees and hedges, everything is a lot greener this year, more in tune with the season!

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

If we do get another unsettled June this year (and I admit it's too early to tell) that will be four in a row. To be fair, though, the Met Office text forecast is not suggesting that at all, instead hinting at some very pleasant dry but not excessively hot weather.

Given how poor the May - mid July 2002 period was, it was a miracle that a warm sunny weekend coincided with the Jubilee!

Posted
6 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Hoping it's not going to do another 2012, i.e. following a reasonably decent weekend for the 'normal' Bank Holiday (looks quite likely) we then end up with dull, cool and wet.

I think the final week to 10 days of May 2012 was pretty hot and dry, after a cool month up to that point.  Obviously changed in time for early June though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
9 hours ago, Don said:

I think the final week to 10 days of May 2012 was pretty hot and dry, after a cool month up to that point.  Obviously changed in time for early June though!

Yeah. Pressure built to our east instead of north east in late May and late July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
12 hours ago, Don said:

Yes I remember, I was on a guided walk on the Sunday that would normally have been the bank holiday, and it was in the high 20's, and when eating a pub lunch I started to feel unwell which was likely due to the sun blazing down on me all day up to that point. The following weekend with the Jubilee was appalling, and I remember the weather during the Olympic road cycling was poor as well.

16 hours ago, Frigid said:

It would take a lot to beat 2012 in terms of cool and wet weather. IIRC on the Jubilee weekend, the Sunday it was raining all day and temperatures didn't exceed 9C. Truly something considering it was near the Summer solstice..

Yes it would take a lot to beat the wettest April to June period on record, but given the seemingly increasing tendency for blocked weather patterns near the UK these days, probably not as unlikely as climatology would suggest.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

11.8°C right now.. :santa-emoji:

huh? Suns been out all day here and it’s 18C.

Omg just looked at the radar loop, how on earth has it stayed dry here….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

huh? Suns been out all day here and it’s 18C.

Omg just looked at the radar loop, how on earth has it stayed dry here….

Sun's out now, but for most of the day it has been cloudy with light showers.

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Sun's out now, but for most of the day it has been cloudy with light showers.

Amazing difference across 10 or so miles.