Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Shock horror, another cloudy dull day and yet again the skies are now clear for night time. This has happened constantly in May this year, it's beyond a joke! Same again tomorrow by the looks of it, cloudy day and clear night. Can we have it the other way round please. Unbelievable lol.

It’s not too uncommon…solar input and low pressure will easily generate cloud. Once the heat of the day starts to ebb away then the clouds often go too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
35 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s not too uncommon…solar input and low pressure will easily generate cloud. Once the heat of the day starts to ebb away then the clouds often go too.

Yeah, guess you're right but damn is it frustrating after a cloudy day haha

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I’m so bored and so tired.

Its mental to me we’ll be heading into summer with a lower max than last year and last year was absolutely dreadful.

im so unacclimatised to the warmth that when the temp has pushed 20 degrees it feels absolutely roasting.

wearing my winter coat into work in June is absolutely laughable. 

The end of May last year was very warm, though.  Won't be the case this year!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

So much for global warming....jeezus....We have yet to breach 21c this year where I am in Devon, this is not very common.... ?‍♀️  Almost put the heating on last night but resisted due to not wanting to worry so much in winter thanks to some higher greedy powers that be.

After last summer just really don't want a repeat performance, we all need some glorious sustained sun and warmth

I hope this is just a false start and we hit the ground running from mid June, with wall to wall sunshine until early September. Something similar to summer 1995, or 2018 but moved to later in the summer.

May hasn’t been bad, but it’s not been a great one either. Something in the middle. Much better than the vile May of 2021, but not a patch on May 2020 or 2018, with those long periods of cloudless sunny days, that went on for days on end.

We were spoilt for a couple of years back then.

40 minutes ago, Don said:

The end of May last year was very warm, though.  Won't be the case this year!

Yes it was, but it was cold and damp until the 25th or around then.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I hope this is just a false start and we hit the ground running from mid June, with wall to wall sunshine until early September. Something similar to summer 1995, or 2018 but moved to later in the summer.

May hasn’t been bad, but it’s not been a great one either. Something in the middle. Much better than the vile May of 2021, but not a patch on May 2020 or 2018, with those long periods of cloudless sunny days, that went on for days on end.

We were spoilt for a couple of years back then.

Yes with a generally cool cloudy outlook May will go down as ok.. it is my favourite month though and an ok one doesnt cut the mustard for me. It can be the most superb of all months as in 2018 and 2020.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes it was, but it was cold and damp until the 25th or around then.

It certainly was and would have gone down as a very cool month indeed had it not been for the closing days!

• Like 1

Posted

I know it looks pretty bad at the moment, but after watching the met office 10 day trend, frankly it seems they don't have a clue about what's likely beyond about Monday, other than it will likely warm up. This cool blast we are about to get could end up being nothing more than a blip. A couple cool days a very common in our early summers. Also, temperatures have a habit of nudging higher than the forecasts. For example we were expecting two cool days today and yesterday, yet reality was, we hit average, 18 and 19c in this area.

I don't think its anything to be concerned about, what's happening beyond Monday is very unclear, so much so, I'm going to ignore all forecast information beyond Monday, until the weekend, and then see what's unfolding.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 23/05/2022 at 20:04, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Absolutely abysmal out there. About 12c. Lashing with rain. Dull. Grey. Rubbish. Luckily get the old fleecy blanket out when i get in. Save putting the central heating on. Tory Britain

Sounds like lovely weather. Enjoy!

On 23/05/2022 at 10:07, Alderc said:

Impending disaster for the start of June, northerly blocking the upper trough of doom taking aim at the UK……

It’s the Queens Jubilee, of course it’s going to be cool and wet, what else were you expecting?

On 24/05/2022 at 13:32, Mapantz said:

11.8°C right now.. :santa-emoji:

Colder than what we had on New Year’s Eve !

16 hours ago, sarahng said:

I hope this isn't going to be one of those summers where the day starts bright with beautiful blue sky and then clouds over by 8am for the rest of the day until early evening!  We have had a succession of these mornings now - today was sunny and bright at 5.30, now it's dull, overcast, windy and chilly!

Yeah been same here last couple of days, mostly cloudy during the day, sun comes out during the evening just before it sets.  It was quite a pleasant evening tonight to be fair, quite cool and breezy though.

15 hours ago, Alderc said:

While we've had a such better spring than last year we are still going to be entering Summer with a lower max temp (22.1C) than last last Spring and fewer days reaching 20C (just 4).

Still I'm sure they're be a rapid improvement from the 19th when I go on the first of my summer travels for two weeks.   

Yes it’s been a strange spring in that it’s been consistently milder than average with all three spring months coming out considerably milder than average,  yet with no hot days and very few warm days.

Instead the above average temperatures have come about because of persistent mildness and a lack of cold days and northerly airstreams that we typically get in spring.

March and April 2021 weren’t too bad, it was just May 2021 which let the side down until the final few days of the Month when it turned warm and sunny.

This spring has been okay but nowhere near the level of the spring of 2020. And while may has been better than last year has been nowhere near as good as May 2018 or May 2020. The temperatures have been okay and it hasn’t been a washout but it has been quite dull a lot of the time.

10 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I noticed the cool and dry outlook on the models (GFS 00Z) this morning too.

Looks like three "layers" across Europe - northern Europe cool and dry (but Scandinavia wetter), southern Europe unusually hot, and then a weak cyclonic zone between the two which will presumably give places like southern Germany and the Alps some impressive thunderstorms.

Further still, towards the end of the run, there seems to be something of a NW-ly bias. This really looks like an ideal spring pattern; the cool and dry setup would have been most welcome in April or early May as it could have slowed down nature and made it less unusually forward.

Cool and dry is my favourite weather type in summer, especially if it is accompanied by plenty of sunshine.  Decent weather but without the heat.

3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

most coming nights will be colder than 1st Jan this year, tropical January SW'lys certainly feel warmer than summer NW'lys/NE'lys

Yeah that night was unusually balmy for the time of year, went to a New Years party and didn’t need a coat, the temp was about 12°C all night, even into the early hours.

2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Opposite happens when your at the east coast in spring and the wind is E/NE. Foggy mornings before the sun burns it off (Although sometimes it can linger all day) then sunny before fog rolls back in in the evening. SAN Francisco is like this all summer. My kind of weather really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sounds like lovely weather. Enjoy!

It’s the Queens Jubilee, of course it’s going to be cool and wet, what else were you expecting?

Colder than what we had on New Year’s Eve !

Yeah been same here last couple of days, mostly cloudy during the day, sun comes out during the evening just before it sets.  It was quite a pleasant evening tonight to be fair, quite cool and breezy though.

Yes it’s been a strange spring in that it’s been consistently milder than average with all three spring months coming out considerably milder than average,  yet with no hot days and very few warm days.

Instead the above average temperatures have come about because of persistent mildness and a lack of cold days and northerly airstreams that we typically get in spring.

March and April 2021 weren’t too bad, it was just May 2021 which let the side down until the final few days of the Month when it turned warm and sunny.

This spring has been okay but nowhere near the level of the spring of 2020. And while may has been better than last year has been nowhere near as good as May 2018 or May 2020. The temperatures have been okay and it hasn’t been a washout but it has been quite dull a lot of the time.

Cool and dry is my favourite weather type in summer, especially if it is accompanied by plenty of sunshine.  Decent weather but without the heat.

Yeah that night was unusually balmy for the time of year, went to a New Years party and didn’t need a coat, the temp was about 12°C all night, even into the early hours.

Opposite happens when your at the east coast in spring and the wind is E/NE. Foggy mornings before the sun burns it off (Although sometimes it can linger all day) then sunny before fog rolls back in in the evening. SAN Francisco is like this all summer. My kind of weather really.

San Francisco is a funny one - the Pacific ocean is really cold during the summer months with the cold water upwelling. The sea actually gets colder there as you go through spring and summer, and is at its warmest in the winter - the opposite of what you'd expect. Add in the intense heat from inland and it's a perfect fog recipe. 

image.thumb.png.1231269203273cb8d0f740b4b5b539ea.png

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

San Francisco is a funny one - the Pacific ocean is really cold during the summer months with the cold water upwelling. The sea actually gets colder there as you go through spring and summer, and is at its warmest in the winter - the opposite of what you'd expect. Add in the intense heat from inland and it's a perfect fog recipe. 

Yes what a strange climate there. I was there in August once and it was genuinely chilly during the evenings.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes with a generally cool cloudy outlook May will go down as ok.. it is my favourite month though and an ok one doesnt cut the mustard for me. It can be the most superb of all months as in 2018 and 2020.

Yes, unfortunately we had our best period for clear sunny cloudless days came around the end of March and early April.

May has been cloudier than average I feel, with a number of pleasant days, but too many sky blue days giving way to cloud.

The upshot has been the thundery activity though, and I feel this is setting the tone for a thundery summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Despite the fog Downtown San Francisco still gets 3,000hrs hours of sun per year.  

I can remember I drover their from Yosemite park where in the lower levels the temp was about 36C, got out the car in and nearly froze. Had to buy coats to go to Alcatraz the next day.

Places just 20-30km inland average 35C+ May-Sep and regularly sees highs in the mid 40s. meanwhile San Fran barely averages 20C in the 'Summer'

Posted

Let's face it, if anyone wants decent weather the UK is not the place to be. Most of the year it's dull, or wet, or windy, or cool-ish (often a combination of all of those) and only sometimes do we manage to achieve some usually brief spells of pleasantly warm, settled and sunny weather in Spring. Summer or Autumn (there's even occasional hot spells in Summer, more so towards the south east). Winter is often dreary, cool and wet (just like the rest of the year, only worse) but a rare blizzard and/or very cold temps may occur once in a  blue moon.

The UK's population are known for talking about the weather with good reason - it's often poor or 'unseasonal' at best.

I'd emigrate if I could afford it (enduring the nightmare of arranging a move abroad would be another issue). Not sure where I'd move to though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
40 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Let's face it, if anyone wants decent weather the UK is not the place to be. Most of the year it's dull, or wet, or windy, or cool-ish (often a combination of all of those) and only sometimes do we manage to achieve some usually brief spells of pleasantly warm, settled and sunny weather in Spring. Summer or Autumn (there's even occasional hot spells in Summer, more so towards the south east). Winter is often dreary, cool and wet (just like the rest of the year, only worse) but a rare blizzard and/or very cold temps may occur once in a  blue moon.

The UK's population are known for talking about the weather with good reason - it's often poor or 'unseasonal' at best.

I'd emigrate if I could afford it (enduring the nightmare of arranging a move abroad would be another issue). Not sure where I'd move to though.

We do often luck out in the summer, don't get me wrong summer can have beautiful weather and we fare better in the south but it's all too often not consistent enough.  Though I disagree that winter is often wet, last winter really pretty dry.  My only issue with our weather is the cloud, if we didn't get so much it wouldn't bother me so much, I think it's mostly because of our location, the gulf stream and one of the reasons its rare to get snow in winter, it's just usually too mild at least in southern and western areas. 

All this cloud is beginning to depress me but looks like it's brightening up again from tomorrow clear skies friday and saturday

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

We do often luck out in the summer, don't get me wrong summer can have beautiful weather and we fare better in the south but it's all too often not consistent enough.  Though I disagree that winter is often wet, last winter really pretty dry.  My only issue with our weather is the cloud, if we didn't get so much it wouldn't bother me so much, I think it's mostly because of our location, the gulf stream and one of the reasons its rare to get snow in winter, it's just usually too mild. 

All this cloud is beginning to depress me but looks like it's brightening up again from tomorrow clear skies friday and saturday

Yes, the UK climate would be vastly improved with one change: increased sunshine. Add another 1000 or so hours to the annual totals and it’d be a very decent climate. 

9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Another fantastic high pressure

Sunshine totals are going to be pretty dismal for this month. 

0316353E-FB67-4B46-920E-3E73EE2266EA.thumb.jpeg.05752c575c9f8186d3164934f8230ecf.jpeg

Typical UK crap. All that clear sky over the North Sea, too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Another fantastic high pressure

Sunshine totals are going to be pretty dismal for this month. 

0316353E-FB67-4B46-920E-3E73EE2266EA.thumb.jpeg.05752c575c9f8186d3164934f8230ecf.jpeg

Although pressure is rising, we’re still not in anticyclone territory yet with a brisk westerly over the top of the arriving high so I guess no surprise it’s still cloudy.

Still a bummer though that there are clearer skies over the Atlantic and the North Sea yet our landmass is a cloud magnet... ??‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, the UK climate would be vastly improved with one change: increased sunshine. Add another 1000 or so hours to the annual totals and it’d be a very decent climate. 

Typical UK crap. All that clear sky over the North Sea, too.  

I would love to know how to make that happen ha  Country morale is low at the moment for obvious reasons, a bit of sustained lovely weather is desperately needed I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 23/05/2022 at 20:04, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Absolutely abysmal out there. About 12c. Lashing with rain. Dull. Grey. Rubbish. Luckily get the old fleecy blanket out when i get in. Save putting the central heating on. Tory Britain

I was gutted, first proper lashing rain i've seen in several months on Monday and I finally had my new guttering and water butt fitted in the garden.  I was so excited to get home and see how full the water butt was but It was left open as it wasn't clear which way was open or shut ?‍♀️ I'll know for next time...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, unfortunately we had our best period for clear sunny cloudless days came around the end of March and early April.

May has been cloudier than average I feel, with a number of pleasant days, but too many sky blue days giving way to cloud.

The upshot has been the thundery activity though, and I feel this is setting the tone for a thundery summer. 

A cooler version of last August. Pleasant daytime temps, but not a lot of sunshine.

I am happy with spring 2022 overall though. Second half of March was sunny, as was parts of April, it hasn't been overly wet but it hasn't been overly dry either. So great growing conditions.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Well, it's so chilly here that our heating has just clicked on!!  At the end of May!  I would like to know what happened to those wonderful summer mornings we used to have in the 80s/90s when there was that beautiful smell of summer on the air in the early morning, with the promise of a glorious day.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Goodness it is so very windy around these parts.  Anyone else experiencing windy weather?  It has even snapped a branch of one of the sycamores at the top of the garden.  Very lucky really as it just missed my washing line and could so easily have broken it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

It has indeed been very windy lately. A lot of wind. 

Edit, for anyone who didn't figure it out yet, my avatar is a representation of netweather's temperature charts where the UK is invisible with the same temperatures on the colour chart as over the sea while France is bright red under a heatwave. Those are very common charts and now there are many such ones on the latest model outputs.

image.thumb.png.9a2ccefbb94d39916a681e151d5305fd.png

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

It has indeed been very windy lately. A lot of wind. 

Edit, for anyone who didn't figure it out yet, my avatar is a representation of netweather's temperature charts where the UK is invisible with the same temperatures on the colour chart as over the sea while France is bright red under a heatwave. Those are very common charts and now there are many such ones on the latest model outputs.

image.thumb.png.9a2ccefbb94d39916a681e151d5305fd.png

Another tick in the box of one worst climates around. So few days that are usable added to the fact we get trolled with charts like this.