Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
6 minutes ago, ModestMention said:

Here the surface wind as turned Northerly and increased.  The temperature is dropping quickly it currently 20.3C from 23.5C at 11:50 

Yes here the temp is 16C down from almost 24C earlier this morning with a wind from the nne. Definately noticeable given that i am still wearing same type of clothes as yesterday when it was 33C !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Things starting to look more interesting down in the SW approaches on the latest radar.

Some real oomph being injected into that cold front now,will be interesting to see what can fire to the south of it late afternoon as the atmosphere starts to become more conjusive to storm development.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
19 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Things starting to look more interesting down in the SW approaches on the latest radar.

Some real oomph being injected into that cold front now,will be interesting to see what can fire to the south of it late afternoon as the atmosphere starts to become more conjusive to storm development.

Yeah in the last 15 mins this system gone MAD with strikes ! Like you said this does mean that the cold front is turning on the storm switch and in then the next few hours some onshore storms might kick off over central Britain to the south of the front.

OOOh  

FC9024E9-0C51-4C30-A23A-FEB3C911BAE9.jpeg

D601EA81-0BE2-4D85-BC57-894B8960C2CA.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

I'm in Norwich and it's been cool and cloudy with an almost uniform white sky all day. Does not feel thundery at all.

I fear I may be too far north for any festivities.

Posted
3 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

Yeah in the last 15 mins this system gone MAD with strikes ! Like you said this does mean that the cold front is turning on the storm switch and in then the next few hours some onshore storms might kick off over central Britain to the south of the front.

OOOh  

FC9024E9-0C51-4C30-A23A-FEB3C911BAE9.jpeg

D601EA81-0BE2-4D85-BC57-894B8960C2CA.jpeg

forecast to move south east mate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Not one, but two lively cells on course to make landfall between Truro and Plymouth. Any members online from down in that lovely part of the world?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The high elevated stuff has now started reaching the ground with a few spit spots around here, was all evaporating before. Also low fair weather stuff is moving east to west.

Posted

Worth noting the trough that is causing them organised thunderstorms is new and not forecast to S W uk, anything can happen I guess. Also the front changed back to a warm front from now until as it moves away. Interesting weather ahead? How far will that feature move inland and will a warm front cause more in the way of storms tonight! My answer is yes !

85C0EE20-130B-4285-BA3A-756BB7FC7859.png

F0D83BF5-DF84-45BC-BCA5-A88AF9B7794F.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, sunnijim said:

South Wales to just North of the Wash.

Which is funny because here ahead of the cold front it is plenty cold enough!

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've not seen a lightning warning before..

1606055845_Screenshot_20220618-150218_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.2bc25a5b4d90af21b7cb5b09a3c0e736.jpg

As I said earlier,Nowcast on the weather warnings!

Posted
13 minutes ago, Justin1705 said:

Worth noting the trough that is causing them organised thunderstorms is new and not forecast to S W uk, anything can happen I guess. Also the front changed back to a warm front from now until as it moves away. Interesting weather ahead? How far will that feature move inland and will a warm front cause more in the way of storms tonight! My answer is yes !

85C0EE20-130B-4285-BA3A-756BB7FC7859.png

F0D83BF5-DF84-45BC-BCA5-A88AF9B7794F.png

The 6am Sunday fax has introduced an interesting feature running across the extreme SE.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Not sure ground temps are bearing any relevance as per the precip and storms. It’s in the mid levels where it’s all happening, moving SW-NE along a quasi stationary boundary. It could get lively before today is out! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks like further pulses of rain will affect South Wales later. Don't think there will be any thunder mostly elevated if it does happen anyway 

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Not one, but two lively cells on course to make landfall between Truro and Plymouth. Any members online from down in that lovely part of the world?

The first cell has gone to the south of me on  the coast and both look to be losing there intensity, just big drops falling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells, snow, thunder snow, tornadoes
49 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I am, don't get what a lightning warning is though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
37 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've not seen a lightning warning before..

1606055845_Screenshot_20220618-150218_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.2bc25a5b4d90af21b7cb5b09a3c0e736.jpg

Since they issued that warning, there's been a massive decline in sferics in those Celtic Sea storms! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Tonight is the Toolstation Western League dinner at Crowne Plaza on Plymouth Hoe. As a football secretary for Saltash United, if it goes bang in Plymouth this evening I’ll be in the function room on level 12 at the top right on Plymouth Hoe overlooking the sound and City Centre. Talk about lucky! 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Charlie Harnett said:

I am, don't get what a lightning warning is though

When the speed of storms is not enough for rain to be an issue the only thing to warn of is lightning 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

My trusty NMM is looking good for later on for the SE!

F31A3A84-C0A7-41FC-BFD2-A5AB5640965C.png

AE3519C3-1040-4224-BE0E-DC8051D842D2.png

C82A2424-1C73-4E81-A019-8ADE867C6E66.png

CA3F960B-D9B1-47AF-A58E-15A7EE9DABA8.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Justin1705 said:

When the speed of storms is not enough for rain to be an issue the only thing to warn of is lightning 

I know but it would still come under thunderstorm warning surely, or they they expecting electrical storms with very little ppn involved, haven't read the warning yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells, snow, thunder snow, tornadoes
4 minutes ago, Justin1705 said:

Ahhh I see

Posted
2 hours ago, minus10 said:

Apparantly France will be roasting today with temps upto 45 degrees in places. Now i'm no expert...in fact far from it..just an enthusiast however i would have thought that would be a recipe for some severe storms triggered traversing ne around the perifery of the low being forecast to move into France and the cold front continues to move south ....  as per the sat 24 ...

Screenshot_20220618-123403_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b8a0724281d243cb255d10d6ee8c9e2f.jpg  

Obviously other factors need to be in place such as reduction of the cap i suppose however is this not pretty unique at this time of year for this level of  heat and would that not force the situation ? Any thoughts

There is indeed plenty of heat here. Currently 40.3C here in the Charente. Minimum last night was 23C, similar tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Hi all, long time lurker here in Exeter, Devon. I’m a lurker who doesn’t post that often but very much enjoy reading what some of the experts post on here. The thick Cloud is clearing here in Exeter, I have everything crossed for some thunder judging by blitzortung. Suns sort of out, but it’s partially cut off by a load of unstable looking patchy clouds. Eyes on the skies! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

I know but it would still come under thunderstorm warning surely, or they they expecting electrical storms with very little ppn involved, haven't read the warning yet.

I'm not sure but from they're warning i gather that due to the speed of the storms the only thing that would suffice a worming is damage to buildings and power cuts from lightning. But looking at every 5mins grab can see where they're coming from, and reports of all PpN being elevated is probably a factor too. Not to sure I was curious, but this is the answer I've got from a tad of research