Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
7 minutes ago, jake44 said:

nice i feel hyped about this

Lightening is so exciting.. …. …am I allowed to say that in a storm thread??..yes I am! ..almost killed me once.. I kid you not!.. but I got a buzz out of it!  

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, jon snow said:

Lightening is so exciting.. …. …am I allowed to say that in a storm thread??..yes I am! ..almost killed me once.. I kid you not!.. but I got a buzz out of it!  

Lightning scares the s**t out of me - mainly because I was within 50 feet of a strike once. It was like a bomb going off, I went blind for a couple of seconds and my ears were ringing.

Ever since then, when watching storms with friends etc, as soon as there is a strike within 20 miles I'm like "Well, lets pack up. That's enough for me"

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Lightning scares the s**t out of me - mainly because I was within 50 feet of a strike once. It was like a bomb going off, I went blind for a couple of seconds and my ears were ringing.

Ever since then, when watching storms with friends etc, as soon as there is a strike within 20 miles I'm like "Well, lets pack up. That's enough for me"

I’ve always loved storms, even though I had a close encounter with a lightening bolt when I was a kid which I’ve never forgotten, a huge zig zag of ligtening with many small zig zags of ligtening either side.. knocked me to the ground..so it did!…but I still love storms..and I think some of you will be loving storms this evening and tonight.. good luck fellow storm lovers! ❤️ ⛈ 

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
34 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Don’t wish to derail the thread, however was that a Saturday afternoon? The middle of a trio of fantastic storm outbreaks in 6 days. The Thursday evening spectacular elevated storms, the Saturday an afternoon MCS, the following Tuesday a night time spectacle.

I remember it well Andy, greenish clouds, large hail and vivid lightning in Lyneham that day.

Back to the present, I wish I were still down south, my particular part of the NE has not yet added the word 'thunderstorm' to their vocabulary, they simply never happen here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Very stormy feeling here, it's so stuffy that I feel like I could pass out and its not even that hot nor does it feel especially humid either it's so odd 

• Like 2

Posted

we should start seeing initiation in next couple of hours but i do wonder if the high cloud is the issue with "CIN" ? 

Edited by thunderhead 2005
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Showers already starting to gather to the SW right on queue now its a matter of watching to see when/if they electrify

Edited by Frostbite1980

Just now, thunderhead 2005 said:

we should start seeing initiation in next couple of hours but i do wonder if the high cloud is the issue with "CIN" ? 

Just high level crud... nothing to worry about we are past heating now anyway won't make much if any difference 

Been glorious here all day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

When there might be a storm later and mother nature keeps everyone guessing until the very last minute, she be like... 

cheeky GIF

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, kieranweatherfan said:

Really muggy feeling here in Greater London, temp up to 22° 

Yep sun bursting through a smooth milky cloud layer now 

1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

Sorry to be really IMBY but im flying out of London City tonight at 8pm and they usually ground flights there at the drop of a hat, is all this supposed to kick off later in the evening?

I believe so about 3-4 hours later...

Posted

Storm's coming! 

Apologies, just looked at the forecast and although it felt more like we should get a Tstorm on Sunday, it actually looks almost nailed on tonight. 

Excite!

Posted
38 minutes ago, jon snow said:

So is lightning Jon,  Sorry just a pet hate of mine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

So jealous of you guys in the south central and south east, think I need to move along the coast from Devon to get the warmer temperatures and the best Thunderstorms 

Hope the thunderstorms are epic

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

The storms developing this evening won't be triggered and fuelled by surface heating, rather by a shortwave trough arriving from the SW creating forced ascent of warm moist plume pushing N out of France, creating elevated storms, so high cloud isn't going to affect initiation.

Thanks

So the storms will be elevated that's abit more hopeful. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

The storms developing this evening won't be triggered and fuelled by surface heating, rather by a shortwave trough arriving from the SW creating forced ascent of warm moist plume pushing N out of France, creating elevated storms, so high cloud isn't going to affect initiation.

Amber warning to come Nick, yellow doesnt seem to indicate the hype ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I think initiation may be slightly more east than UKV runs of late but only slightly and the continued agreement does suggest that anywhere within the risk area will be within a shout with different amounts of strength each run.

Remember, with the weather, anything can happen on the day.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Biggin said:

So is lightning Jon,  Sorry just a pet hate of mine

Well, I’ve been drinking.. affects my smelling.. .. I mean spelling!!.. that’s my excuse!  hiccup  …enjoy the storms tonight.. there will be some! ⛈  

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest UKV (12z) 

Not much difference to previous runs that I can see. 

85F39C1A-2551-4555-805D-B9607ECBC095.webp

D3DDB2F5-8D86-4E6C-9B75-00A07CED9790.webp

96967397-8000-482D-AD63-3B2C21EF4A24.webp

411A2F3D-0840-411C-A610-0C3B40F43508.webp

BE08C77B-2D2C-4D48-AD29-2D63FAF83F4B.webp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
2 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Sorry to be really IMBY but im flying out of London City tonight at 8pm and they usually ground flights there at the drop of a hat, is all this supposed to kick off later in the evening?

TEMPO 1819/1821 VRB15G25KT +TSRA

Forecast TAF for city airport, temporary conditions between 7-9pm wind speed 15 knots gusts of 25 knots, heavy rain / thunderstorm 30% probability 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Phone weather forecast has a pleasing update - now showing lightning symbols and breaking out around 10pm. 

Posted

Seems to be a lot of excited peoples on here,good luck everyone!!! Remember good pics please!!! When is the short wave coming through

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
21 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Amber warning to come Nick, yellow doesnt seem to indicate the hype ?

They may issue amber if it looks highly likely intense storms may cause disruption, but even then, given storms will pass through fairly quickly - they still might not. As flash-flooding usually the main concern from UK storms.

• Like 3