Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
19 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

yeah close the internet down,wouldnt be missed at all😜

This is a two day heatwave 1976 was for weeks,how is that hard to comprehend

The difference is that this heatwave is going to see temperatures that exceed your body temperature, which makes it infinitely more lethal than 1976. Spending any length of time out in 38c+ is dangerous. That's the message people are trying to convey, as invariably there will be thousands of idiots about saying oh its just a nice hot day.....and then end up in hospital.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Have briefly crossed the 30c threshold already here, currently at 29.8c.

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Reading  about it is not exactly the same as living though it,is  it.No schools were closed like they would be now,my primary school I was at,did not have a single day called off we even did sports day,heaven forbid.😃 This went on for weeks on end,no great fuss made,people still went to work,no stupid common sense warnings of drink more wear a hat,you could die if you go out etc,.

Everyone just enjoyed it without all these stupid dramatic warnings we get now.Give me a break.

This country  has gone to ruin now,

Yes, that's my recollection of it. 45 days without a drop of rain in these parts, according to local weather reports. Dont think we had water shortage in Bristol area, although local reservoirs were fast emptying. If i remember rightly most of our water comes down from mid-Wales.

Peeps did just get on with things, but authorities and politicians love to exercise control these days. We are better informed these days though, but whether peeps actually heed warnings i suspect not, for usual bozos. 

Amazing though that 46 years on, the UK still doesnt make use of all that water surrounding us through desalination plants; similar failings to no energy policy of last 30 years🙄

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, hotsummer said:

Heathrow’s station still tracking behind its same time value of 31/7/20 when it recorded 37.9c. It stated off lower too. 

31/7/20: low 16.5c and 9am GMT 29.5c

Today: low 17.7c and 9am GMT 28.3c

13c v 10.6 rise in some 5 hours ish. 

By 10am GMT it was 33c. No chance. 

Don't forget that 850 temps are also increasing through the day today. You can't try and compare the two days like for like as conditions are different, and this will affect rate of rise and absolute max for the day.

• Like 4

Posted

24C here, cloudy, looks like it's going to take hours to slowly pivot over here, parts of Devon near Exeter struggling on 22-23C, way down on forecast. Today is the only notably hot day here too as tomorrow it clears too early for the SW but nowhere else really.

Basically the worst spot away from North Scotland for cloud atm. Classic weather trolling that seems to happen here.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Don't forget that 850 temps are also increasing through the day today. You can't try and compare the two days like for like as conditions are different, and this will affect rate of rise and absolute max for the day.

It's going to be in that ballpark I expect, as you say the peak temp will be recorded a little later than on most other heatwave 

Heathrow definitely da little slower mind you atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

Here in Twickenham it's reached 31c already. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It's going to be in that ballpark I expect, as you say the peak temp will be recorded a little later than on most other heatwave 

Heathrow definitely da little slower mind you atm.

It is - but I wouldn't worry about Heathrow. On the UKV there are plenty of places forecast to be hotter than there today anyway:

image.thumb.png.8711b634ff153a0c26a51f3d57c6c982.png

39c at Hawarden on that map is the hottest I can see. Could be a repeat of yesterday.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
12 minutes ago, NTC said:

Maybe they should sit in a 100 year old hospital with no air con, because we can't go home because it's too hot.

And we are still in masks still which is ridiculous and windows that only open 2 inches

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, TwisterGirl81 said:

And we are still in masks still which is ridiculous and windows that only open 2 inches

You have windows that open, you are lucky we do not in this ward

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

In terms of quick heating, nothing here will beat the 1 July 2015 blast. It was well over 30C when I stepped out at 10am. That was the one where it clouded up over lunch which scuppered the record chance. But it still managed the July record when the cloud cleared later in the afternoon. However, it led to lots of silly debates about Heathrow jet exhausts that still persist to this day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

So the family who lives next door to me are keeping their kids off school because it is supposedly too hot for them. Only for the parents to allow them to play outside? 🤷‍♀️😕

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

28 °C reached here at 10:52 am. I happened to be looking at the display at the exact moment it ticked up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
20 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

24C here, cloudy, looks like it's going to take hours to slowly pivot over here, parts of Devon near Exeter struggling on 22-23C, way down on forecast. Today is the only notably hot day here too as tomorrow it clears too early for the SW but nowhere else really.

Basically the worst spot away from North Scotland for cloud atm. Classic weather trolling that seems to happen here.

Yep, it's cloudy here and 24c but I am not complaining its not hot yet as working in a stuffy reception, window only opens 2 inches, having to deal with some grumpy people this morning dressed in their summer clothes!  I'll be on the ward later masked up when I expect the sky will clear and temperatures will rocket up, dreading it! 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

The 20% excess deaths in '76 do not suggest that 'getting on with it' was the best of ideas 🤔

True, but that's what happened. Cant change history (well, 'some' think they can), but society can learn from it, if they choose to. Sadly, peeps still dying in dangerous water despite being told not to get in - no diff than years ago.

1 minute ago, Bristle Si said:

True, but that's what happened. Cant change history (well, 'some' think they can), but society can learn from it, if they choose to. Sadly, peeps still dying in dangerous water despite being told not to get in - no diff than years ago.

Problem is, some people need to be spoon fed. It's hot, keep hydrated and out of the sun. It isn't rocket science, it's basic knowledge. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It is - but I wouldn't worry about Heathrow. On the UKV there are plenty of places forecast to be hotter than there today anyway:

image.thumb.png.8711b634ff153a0c26a51f3d57c6c982.png

39c at Hawarden on that map is the hottest I can see. Could be a repeat of yesterday.

Quite lucky living in the southern parts of Cornwall.

Posted
12 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Well I did compare.

In any event, we’lll see. 

Posted

On Southsea beach, people are wondering what the fuss is about - average hot summer day with a gentle refreshing sea breeze.

Back home in Fareham, 6 miles inland, much hotter

• Thanks 1