Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
23 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

RAF Waddington has just come in with an hourly reading of 35.7C, so it looks like its record of 35.1C from 2019 is well beaten already, and it's forecast to get even hotter tomorrow.  I think GFS is probably still over-egging it with its prediction of 41C.  I reckon it might "only" make 38 or 39C there tomorrow.

The 850 hPa temps showing for tomorrow could certainly support the temps the GFS is showing- some really incredibly hot air over us in the early afternoon tomorrow- 24/25C across central and Eastern England- even over Yorkshire.

Posted
10 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm quite happy with 36c. No complaints here. 

Yes you can't complain when your local all-time record is smashed- as has happened here.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sainsbo said:

Temperature is still rising here - 34.3C at the closest official Met Office site (Lyneham). Only 0.6C away from the all time site record. Not bad for 6PM!

That passing cloud spoiled the record chances 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Phew!   What a scorcher….  🥵🥵🔥🔥☀️☀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

38.1c confirmed as today's high by the Met Office in Santon Downham

So that'll be the third 100F temperature in only four summers. And, with tomorrow's records still to come, we'll soon be seeing the fourth? 🤔

But Deniers need not be too downhearted -- the Jurassic Period was warmer still!😁

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Yes you can't complain when your local all-time record is smashed- as has happened here.

Envy you! loving this, everyone different, some don't feel hot, but for me roll on Wed! would pay for the time to pass if it was an option

hope for temps mid 20's for rest of summer, certainly don't want cool/wet everyday

• Like 1

Posted

A little bit of personal weather trivia from me.

Temps forecast here to be a min of 25c overnight (04.00am) tonight. 4 weeks ago i was on hols in Carvoeiro, The Algarve when only 2 days' daytime temps managed to reach 25c.

Still 34c here at 19.05.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Tomorrow is nailed on to obliterate the record. We’ve got to 38c here from a low of 16c overnight. Warmer airmass and warmer start tomorrow you can easily add 2 degrees on for 40c

I was wondering because today did fall a little short of what I expected. And I did though the national record would be breached, if only just. 

But anyway, the drop and overnight low will be an interesting one to monitor. Could this break a record and if so it gives tomorrow a real head start. 

Heathrow’s station saw an almost 19c increase once the sun was up. Reading Uni, almost 22c. Cloud seems to have hindered things. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

ITV News are going way overboard with their coverage, it's ridiculous. Including stating that it's apparently unusual to get this heat this early in the season. It's peak summer!!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

It's a good job It's not snowing today, imagine shovelling snow in this heat.😉

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

One thing that stands out on these blowtorch days is the late heat. It’s still 37c here at 7pm!!

3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

ITV News are going way overboard with their coverage, it's ridiculous. Including stating that it's apparently unusual to get this heat this early in the season. It's peak summer!!

Lol.

Middle of July is the very peak of heating capability and I dare say that if the plume on August 10th 2003 had happened around this time, the temperature would of been even higher. That's what makes this event so rare. The absolute perfect setup at the absolute perfect time of year.

Posted

I've had roofers on scaffolding on my house today replacing ridge/hip tiles/painting stucco and other various jobs. They started on Saturday and I did warn them about the upcoming weather and told them to take as much time as they needed and that the weather was looking cooler later in the week if they wanted to finish then but they didn't seem bothered. They were sure that they would get everything finished off today but looks like they called it quits at about 2pm and are now going to come back tomorrow 😛. I get the impression that they have also booked in some other jobs this week which they are trying to get finished at the same time.

I guess the problem of being a roofer is that the weather is so unreliable in the Autumn/Winter that they feel they need to get as much done during spells of good weather to compensate but I am a bit concerned about their health especially with carrying stuff up ladders and being so exposed on scaffolding all day.

• Like 1

Posted

Jon Mitchell on itv Calendar says he expects some afternoon cloud and maybe showers but still says it could reach 40c

Posted

Sweaty. 

think we got away with it a bit today as random cloud seemed to spill in and block the sun during the hottest part of the afternoon.

28 degrees in the living room, probably pushing 40 in my studio with the PC and bits going. 

• Like 1

Just now, ManiaMuse said:

I've had roofers on scaffolding on my house today replacing ridge/hip tiles/painting stucco and other various jobs. They started on Saturday and I did warn them about the upcoming weather and told them to take as much time as they needed and that the weather was looking cooler later in the week if they wanted to finish then but they didn't seem bothered. They were sure that they would get everything finished off today but looks like they called it quits at about 2pm and are now going to come back tomorrow 😛. I get the impression that they have also booked in some other jobs this week which they are trying to get finished at the same time.

I guess the problem of being a roofer is that the weather is so unreliable in the Autumn/Winter that they feel they need to get as much done during spells of good weather to compensate but I am a bit concerned about their health especially with carrying stuff up ladders and being so exposed on scaffolding all day.

It is similar to my profession - landscaping. If I don't cram in as much work as possible during the spring and especially summer months, then I run out of money in the Winter. I have worked through every plume we've had, including this one. Was doing fencing and digging today, and was absolutely lovely. But then again, I do love heat. People who have their own businesses need to work no matter the conditions, we don't have a choice. But tbh, I would much rather be working on days like today than in the cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Sweaty. 

think we got away with it a bit today as random cloud seemed to spill in and block the sun during the hottest part of the afternoon.

28 degrees in the living room, probably pushing 40 in my studio with the PC and bits going. 

If Azazel is finding it a bit hot then it must be serious! 😉🤣

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It certainly felt hot today but not too uncomfortable for me, thanks to the very low dew points. Remarkably dry air. Still 34°C, tonight is going to be a touch on the warm side

Edited by stainesbloke