Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

There was a thread a few years ago discussing what it would take for the UK to record a 40C temp. The consensus was that it would take a very unusual set of circumstances. Turns out all we had to do was wait.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Yarmy said:

There was a thread a few years ago discussing what it would take for the UK to record a 40C temp. The consensus was that it would take a very unusual set of circumstances. Turns out all we had to do was wait.

In the last 5 years or so it's simply become an inevitability.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

Upto 34c here already in SW London 😓 peaked at 37c here yesterday so assuming cloud doesn't build up later then appear to be heading towards 40-43c today. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Those places ate further away from the frontal system and so should benefit the most this afternoon.

This morning the heat is a little more focused further south but the highest temps will transition. 

Then again London probably will be in the ballpark of 40c anyway.

I don't think the timing of the front is even an issue- records will be smashed way before it arrives. Here we've almost broken the previous local all-time record already before 10am.

We've never had air this hot this far north before- at least over 2 days anyway. I think with such an extreme air mass we don't even need that much time to build the heat and even some cloud cover may not be a barrier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

some locations already reporting 34c according to wunderground 

Posted

Reached 28.4C here, just did a very short walk to the river and it's feeling hot. Odd to think we're much cooler than much of the country and the hottest part of the plume has already left here.

I kind of want to see what a 40C day feels like lol.

About to cool off here as unstable mid level cloud, Ac-cas and towering stuff is coming in. Think I've heard a couple distant rumbles from cells over Dartmoor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

I love the idea that Yorkshire could end up being the hottest place ever. 

Us Southerners can now mock those wimpy Northerners and their balmy Mediterranean climate.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Lord Grogon said:

Us Southerners can now mock those wimpy Northerners and their balmy Mediterranean climate.

Would be funny if Emley Moor (W Yorks) ends up with the UK highest overnight minima and somewhere else in Yorkshire the UK highest temp record.  The irony!!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

It would be ironic if Doncaster Sheffield Airport (Robin Hood) was the hottest place recorded then got shut down, it would be forever a quiz question.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Maz said:

Would be funny if Emley Moor (W Yorks) ends up with the UK highest overnight minima and somewhere else in Yorkshire the UK highest temp record.  The irony!!

The Met Office, in their infinite wisdom(!) are not going to count the Emley Moor minima as it reached a lower temperature after 9am yesterday. Stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

The Met Office, in their infinite wisdom(!) are not going to count the Emley Moor minima as it reached a lower temperature after 9am yesterday. Stupid.

...if it doesn't happen in London or the SE it hasn't happened.  Does that mean London provisionally gets the overnight minima record then?

Posted
14 hours ago, SunnyPlease said:

This is very true.

Where I live, rain days really have become quite rare. There's actually very few days here where I see/feel any rain. Can't remember how long it's been like that, but it's been a while.

2021 was fairly wet and cool, especially the first half. I think rainfall in London has been less frequent since December of 2021. It was quite a wet month overall.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes it won’t be a 24 hour min return - I guess if you allow it as an overnight min then you have to go back through history to check all readings ………

even if you were going to try to give it as an overnight min then you cannot be 100% sure that there haven’t been higher returns in the past because we always take the 24 hour period. 

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Yes it won’t be a 24 hour min return - I guess if you allow it as an overnight min then you have to go back through history to check all readings ………

even if you were going to try to give it as an overnight min then you cannot be 100% sure that there haven’t been higher returns in the past because we always take the 24 hour period. 

Maybe they should make a separate category for 24 hour minimums? The subject of relevance is the minimum temperature on Monday night, not the temperature on Sunday morning.

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I get what you're saying, but I can guarantee nowhere has ever come anywhere near as close to what last night ended up as. Even in heatwaves in the last 5 years we got nowhere near the record minima.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Maz said:

...if it doesn't happen in London or the SE it hasn't happened.  Does that mean London provisionally gets the overnight minima record then?

I assume it will be Kenley in Surrey at 25.8

Posted

What will people do on here in future summers if it reaches 42c today, all the excitement of trying to beat 38.7c will be gone and 42c is likely to be a one off due to the timing. The models thread will die off and get covered in cobwebs as no one will use it.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

I get what you're saying, but I can guarantee nowhere has ever come anywhere near as close to what last night ended up as. Even in heatwaves in the last 5 years we got nowhere near the record minima.

I hear you but that the thing - you can’t guarantee it unless you go back through all the records to check ……..because they are all over a 24 hour period 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

My station has already recorded 35.0c 😲

Posted
1 minute ago, NTC said:

What will people do on here in future summers if it reaches 42c today, all the excitement of trying to beat 38.7c will be gone and 42c is likely to be a one off due to the timing. The models thread will die off and get covered in cobwebs as no one will use it.

Gear up for beating 42c - probably by 2030 at this rate. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, NTC said:

The next arbitrary "target" will be 110F/43.3C.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It's a shame the heat gets swept away here, Could've broken my record, as it's 29.4°C already. It shows a 10° drop within an hour this afternoon.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The next arbitrary "target" will be 110F/43.3C.

It'll be a close run thing as to whether there's anyone left who even knows what Fahrenheit means, let alone uses it ... 😉 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

I hear you but that the thing - you can’t guarantee it unless you go back through all the records to check ……..because they are all over a 24 hour period 

I wonder if snow falling before 9am on Boxing Day should count as a white Christmas? Obviously, the current system has its absurdities. But any system would?🤔

• Like 2