Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's pretty sobering. Breaking warm records used to be by a few points of a degree. It'll be obliterated by a good 2-2.5C today. Perhaps more.

I'm sure I recall someone on here claiming that 40C was, for some obscure reason, impossible here in the UK? So, another piece of magical thinking falls by the wayside!🤔

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
13 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

12:30 reading was 38c on meteociel …….

According to the Met, Heathrow was at 38.8°c at 12pm. The automated readings coming through on meteociel, weatheronline etc should probably be treated with some caution as they don’t seem to update as often or as accurately. Weatheronline was showing Heathrow at 38.1c at 12.30 when it was in fact 38.8 at 12pm.

Posted

I’m just a few miles from Heathrow and stepping outside is unreal, and yesterday was something itself. And I’ve been to many a hot place. Lived in Asia. I even got back from Turkey not so long ago.

But wow, the breeze is hot. You can feel the heat off ground, air, sun. Sensational. 

Not only have we hit 40c we broke the national record before 12pm. 

Sure it’s been quite warm to hot for a bit, but out of nowhere. Non-weather enthusiasts probably won’t quite appreciate quite what has happened! 

52 degrees north! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just looking at the Amateur station in the local area, so many are now reaching 38-40c, with a bit of a gradient forming between my location (36) places like Alton at 34c and Guildford/Woking at 38c.

To think vast parts of the region are recording temperatures close to the previous old record is madness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Now 39c here in Cambridge, which would be an all time high before today! On the 19th July 2022 it's just a boiling hot day in a sea of heat. The amount of stations above 38c now and the extent of this is mind bending.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

Just reached 40c at Heathrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

40.2c at Heathrow 

Posted
1 minute ago, Snow Shoes said:

Just reached 40c at Heathrow

Where have you been for the last hour? Its been 40c for ages.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
4 minutes ago, hotsummer said:

I’m just a few miles from Heathrow and stepping outside is unreal, and yesterday was something itself. And I’ve been to many a hot place. Lived in Asia. I even got back from Turkey not so long ago.

But wow, the breeze is hot. You can feel the heat off ground, air, sun. Sensational. 

Not only have we hit 40c we broke the national record before 12pm. 

Sure it’s been quite warm to hot for a bit, but out of nowhere. Non-weather enthusiasts probably won’t quite appreciate quite what has happened! 

52 degrees north! 

Exactly...think i get the same reaction from family...when i tell them that 2 big temp records have fallen today the general reaction is an indifferent ....oh  year🤣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm sure I recall someone on here claiming that 40C was, for some obscure reason, impossible here in the UK? So, another piece of magical thinking falls by the wayside!🤔

I didn’t think it would do this soon, and I’ve had some strong opinions on it in the past on other threads. I’m holding my hands up right now as Mother Nature has slapped me in the face! Incredible conditions, the like I thought I would never see and could only imagine. 

• Like 3

Posted

If heathrow would use a serious Davis vantage station combined with a fan-aspirated radiation shield and not be surrounded by miles of concrete/asphalt the temperature would drop 5c, so not a new record by any means.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Got to 37.9c so far here in Malton which is quite astonishing this far north, especially being so close to the old UK record. It’s the hot wind outside which is also rather bizarre! 

2A0D64E1-4CE1-4700-A85E-ED3EB0C370CD.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It’s exciting and scary at the same time. I’m at Heathrow on a work course today and it’s effing roasting 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
59 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Fires galore breaking out in Suffolk. Suffolk Fire have a live incident map. 9 appliances sent to a village near me an hour ago - sounds like it's a big fire!

I can actually smell the smoke at my house now, and I'm 8 miles away. 12 fire engines on scene of a huge field fire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Faronstream said:

If heathrow would use a serious Davis vantage station combined with a fan-aspirated radiation shield and not be surrounded by miles of concrete/asphalt the temperature would drop 5c, so not a new record by any means.

Not this again. Most surrounding stations are at similar temperatures. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

New theory by Arctic: the number of clueless "but 1976!" posts on Twitter increases in direct proportion to the number of heat records set.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I didn’t think it would do this soon, and I’ve had some strong opinions on it in the past on other threads. I’m holding my hands up right now as Mother Nature has slapped me in the face! Incredible conditions, the like I thought I would never see and could only imagine. 

Although I never thought it was impossible, I certainly never thought it'd happen during my lifetime!

3 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

🥱

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
23 minutes ago, NickyB said:

Climate change is upon us and it’s not good 😢

So you get cold records and it's climate change, you get hot records and it's climate change. Nothing new under the sun. I hate the word " records" as it's just a blink of an eye since they have been recorded. It's happened before and it will happen again. But yes, certainly tropical thank god it's only one day we'll two if you include yesterday as being hot as well. ☺😈

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

🤦

Posted

People in 1976 probably thought every summer would be the same and it wasn't there is no reason to think 40c will happen again the timings were right, like snow on the equator or 30c in Russia. They happen but now people will expect 40c every year.

Edited by NTC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just now, NTC said:

People in 1976 probably thought every summer would be the same and it wasn't there is no reason to think 40x will happen again the timings were right, like snow on the ecuator or 30c in Russia. They happen but now people will expect 40c every year.

Exceeding 40 degrees is still a very difficult thing to do, and will remain a rarity, but it's becoming more and more likely. Recent summers have shown that. This is the 3rd summer in 4 that we've pretty much hit 100f. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, NTC said:

People in 1976 probably thought every summer would be the same and it wasn't there is no reason to think 40c will happen again the timings were right, like snow on the equator or 30c in Russia. They happen but now people will expect 40c every year.

30c happens in Russia every year

Posted
4 minutes ago, NTC said:

Well, I for one, never expected to see a repeat of summer 1976!😆

• Like 2