Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Still 31.5 °C here, which I admit I didn't think would still be the case at almost 5pm. Sky overcast, but no rain. There's some just edging in on the radar, but not much of it seems to be reaching the ground.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Thats a lot of ripe Barley, Wheat etc. that causes that also, although of course also dry grass. Climb to the top of a hill and you can notice

Yeah, the grass I'd totally yellow here, similar colour to wheat actually so it'd likely be hard to tell the difference in all honesty from satellite.

Regardless, we do really need some decent frontal rain soon, it's become a note worthy summer due to how dry its been. Scary thing us models only suggesting 5-10mm in the next 10 days, which isn't going to move the diary that much if we are also due to see more 25-30c type days in that period

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Sky news live.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, seb said:

Wow there are fires breaking out everywhere. 3 alone in Dartford and another on the A2. Trees on side of a road on fire in Ashford earlier and cars damaged. 

Scary stuff.

For “fires ‘breaking out’ everywhere” read “fires being started by criminal arsonists everywhere”.  I do not believe that fires start unaided just because it’s hot.  If I had my way anyone caught starting fires deliberately in these conditions should be locked up for life.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Made it to 39⁰c here so my highest temperature ever and beating the national record from before today. Not a bad outing for a rural Derbyshire town. Peak temperature came around 1-2pm, has been dropping off since 3pm. Now 36.5⁰c.

• Like 3

Posted

Currently got nearly totally cloud cover at the moment and the temperature still up at 32.4c. Humidity rising as well, and whilst still not too high its suddenly feeling quite alot closer than it did even an hour ago.

Frontal system is decaying, I'm not convinced any will reach the surface here, which is actually a bit of a disaster given how dry things are at the moment out here.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

No fresher behind the front! Sunny, 28.6c and if anything steamier due to the showers.

I concur! It's like being on hols in The Med; afternoon shower comes to break the heat and 30 mins later you're back out, sat at the pool and the heat returns with the sun😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

34.8c in Charterhall has made it Scotland's hottest day on record

Scotland record smashed. 

Only Northern Ireland seems to have missed out on any records being broken. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not many cold fronts where the temperature drops way ahead of it then rises afterwards! 😅

• Like 4

Posted

Front has made it here, very little rainfall making it to the surface, at best it could be described as trace.

I wouldn't expect a great deal of rain for those to the east of me.

Also agree with the others, humidity has gone up and whilst it's not as hot, it's still hot and close.

Posted

This has been a phenomenal day for almost the entire UK (or yesterday if you are in the far west). Records completely obliterated widespread across the nation and its especially notable for the north.
The wind when I was sat in the car was blowing HOT air which I’ve never felt before. It’s quite surreal actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

For “fires ‘breaking out’ everywhere” read “fires being started by criminal arsonists everywhere”.  I do not believe that fires start unaided just because it’s hot.  If I had my way anyone caught starting fires deliberately in these conditions should be locked up for life.  

There will be those but I have seen first hand what a small piece of glass can do. I lived in California for a long time.

• Like 1

Posted

Front is so weak there is barely anything msking the surface.

Luckily the air is getting wetter so the showers coming up behind the band may actually give some short lived decent rainfall. We definitely need it at this point.

• Like 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

40.3 in Lincolnshire 

Fair play to the models. Lincolnshire has been touted as one of the places to set the record for quite some time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

still 36 here in the garden...wind not quite as strong...not hopefull about the front after what others have said re cool down and rain...end up being bit of cloud..hope for something more in the way of rain tomorrow

Posted

Scotland and Wales records beaten by 1.9c

England record beaten by 1.6c

Remarkable stuff

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still 37°C here in west London, incredible 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I was hoping it was going to cool down after the cold front went through. It dropped to around 22C when it went over, back up to 29/30C now but really humid which feels worse than the dry heat we had yeaterday and thismorning 😭

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute has issued an orange warning for extremely high temperatures of around 35c in northeast Götaland and southern Svealand on Wednesday and Thursday.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Awaiting showers which form the back part of the front. Temperatures amazingly still holding at 31.5c despite nearly an hour of overcast and occasional light rain. Humidity rising as well.

I'm hoping the 2nd band moving in soon finally brings in somewhat cooler air. 

1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

The Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute has issued an orange warning for extremely high temperatures of around 35c in northeast Götaland and southern Svealand on Wednesday and Thursday.

They must all be snow flakes up there as well as France, Spain, Netherlands and UK with all these warnings for heat

"Grr something something 1976 the hottest back in  my day something something common sense"

• Like 1

Posted

Front came through no rain fell, sun back out now. It cooled the air from exceptionally hot down to very hot. Unless the showers behind perk up a bit I think main change will just be quicker fall in temps after sunset.

Does anyone know the maximum temperature for the Benson observation station, it got 38.4c at 2pm but just wondering if there is an intra hourly maximum anywhere?