Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
7 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Hard to tell by the colour scale, but 598-600 dam is exceptionally rare even in France, let alone the UK 

Yes, looking at thickness on netweather chart seems very high coming up from the south..

image.thumb.png.15ae8835ad708e7b8700466867a4119e.png

• Like 3

Posted

If gfs still showing this in a couple of days I think the meto will need to issue weather warnings for a danger to life this is exceptional and in uk will be very uncomfortable 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, clark3r said:

If gfs still showing this in a couple of days I think the meto will need to issue weather warnings for a danger to life this is exceptional and in uk will be very uncomfortable 

Yes, agreed, i'm actually wondering if there are any warnings already out for France. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
8 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

That would be the heatwave to end all heatwaves.

D6CC5807-6029-4185-BA46-6EDC40682A5B.jpeg

4F6DFFE4-60C9-48AE-84AB-41EF52B82904.jpeg

95223C6F-7266-44BC-818F-38AB08A93273.jpeg

Surely that would warrant a state of emergency? Those temperatures both day and night are truly unprecedented. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Surely that would warrant a state of emergency? Those temperatures both day and night are truly unprecedented. 

Maybe someone can enlighten me here, but how much extra danger is there with temps of 42C compared to temps in the 36-39C range which although extremely rare have happened in the UK before?

A lot of people talking about how dangerous this could be- I don't think it's quite at that level in terms of danger to life. Fires could be another issue however,

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Probably because it's still unlikely. I can't remember if it was 2019 or 2020, or one of those two summers where there was also speculation this sort of scenario would occur. 

It didn't. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Probably because it's still unlikely. I can't remember if it was 2019 or 2020, or one of those two summers where there was also speculation this sort of scenario would occur. 

It didn't. 

But- we are in formed/ evolution.. time ahead.. of what is supported, and expected @ thermo increases!.. this being a “ get used to”- prognosis!!!!- the long construction plots scream these outcomes!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, tight isobar said:

But- we are in formed/ evolution.. time ahead.. of what is supported, and expected @ thermo increases!.. this being a “ get used to”- prognosis!!!!

49C on the northern coast of france and 43C in the southeast of the UK sounds insanely high. Things like cloud cover may also prevent 40C being reached. 

The weather shows Paris will be be 39C on the 16th/17C and that's always a few degrees hotter than London. I think max of 36C in the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Maybe someone can enlighten me here, but how much extra danger is there with temps of 42C compared to temps in the 36-39C range which although extremely rare have happened in the UK before?

A lot of people talking about how dangerous this could be- I don't think it's quite at that level in terms of danger to life. Fires could be another issue however,

The August 2020 heatwave I believed caused about 2500 extra deaths in 2020. The set-up being progged on the 06z GFS is another level above that again. Its closer to what France had in 2003 and that led to 10,000 extra deaths in terms of how under prepared and anomalous that heat was for them.

It absolutely is a huge risk to life, especially with buildings that are not prepared for it at all and a population that has no idea how to handle it either. 

EDIT - for younger people it will be manageable bar the risk of heat stroke/drowning. Its the elderly and the very young that will struggle though.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

49C on the northern coast of france and 43C in the southeast of the UK sounds insanely high. Things like cloud cover may also prevent 40C being reached. 

The weather shows Paris will be be 39C on the 16th/17C and that's always a few degrees hotter than London. I think max of 36C in the UK. 

Air looks dry with very low due points and the low not close enough to introduce any instability or moisture so I’d be surprised if there was any cloud cover.

It’s about a perfect a setup as is possible for record breaking heat, if the plume should make a direct or near direct hit.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Indeed- however!.. you couldn’t have wished/ dreaded for perfect exactions for heat limpit stomp! As the ground -/ immediate overheads are set@ ideal for geographical extremism. Due to lag and already backing up of low/ mid layered!!!!! Which by way of simple physics will just have jet engine effect....

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

More about education really. 40c doesn’t need to be dangerous if you are sensible….millions of people manage it for months on end every year. UK suffers more as our houses are built to retain heat.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

No.  There hasn’t been a previous summer, as long as I have been watching the models, where 40C+ temperatures showed up on any of the main models, let alone repeatedly on multiple runs of multiple models.  This scenario may still not happen, but it is categorically different from anything we have discussed in past years re UK summer high temperatures.  

Not just that but we had a HUGE warning shot across the bows in June 2019 when we were a ENE at the surface away from reaching 40-42c back then as well. I've been banging on ever since then saying we should be able to reach 41-42c in the right setup. The thickness and 850hpa certainly supported it, we just had a big undercut from the North Sea. Not looking that likely that saves us this time around.

I'll admit I'm still sceptical we go quite to the heights of the GFS, but even if we don't, the 4th year out of 5 with a 36c+ weather should be another huge warning shot for many.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Air looks dry with very low due points and the low not close enough to introduce any instability or moisture so I’d be surprised if there was any cloud cover.

It’s about a perfect a setup as is possible for record breaking heat, if the plume should make a direct or near direct hit.

If this really is the case, why isn't the Met Office or government warning about it?

In all the heatwaves we've had, we've never managed to break out to 39C, never mind 43C, if the record is broken it will be be a degree max, by 4.3C would be bonkers. I withold my judgement for now

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, qwertyK said:

If this really is the case, why isn't the Met Office or government warning about it?

In all the heatwaves we've had, we've never managed to break out to 39C, never mind 43C, if the record is broken it will be be a degree max, by 4.3C would be bonkers. I withold my judgement for now

Because it’s 7 days away.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Not just that but we had a HUGE warning shot across the bows in June 2019 when we were a ENE at the surface away from reaching 40-42c back then as well. I've been banging on ever since then saying we should be able to reach 41-42c in the right setup. The thickness and 850hpa certainly supported it, we just had a big undercut from the North Sea. Not looking that likely that saves us this time around.

I'll admit I'm still sceptical we go quite to the heights of the GFS, but even if we don't, the 4th year out of 5 with a 36c+ weather should be another huge warning shot for many.

We didn't have 36C last year? In fact, we barely got to 33C? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

Because it’s 7 days away.

Suggesting there is still plenty of time for things to change. My money's on it being in the low to mid thirties, 33-36C, maybe 37. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
16 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

This was posted yesterday

11 hours ago, gaia rules said:

The humidity therefore night temperatures will be important in predicting impact on health. I set up the Heat Health warnings when I worked as health lead at the Met Office after the 2003 European Heat wave and it was the night-time temperatures that mattered more. In France  those living above the high floors of tower blocks who  died as temperatures cooled from the ground up. The higher humidity meant that there were high min temps. So far the predicted humidity next weekend is very low  so although the temperatures are frighteningly high if the humidity stays low and there are no more than 2 nights in a row with minima of 22 then it may not be so catastrophic on health.

So not an exact comparison, but the original poster gives some idea of what could come to pass in an extreme event 

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1