Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
On 14/10/2022 at 19:10, TheOgre said:

If it wasn’t for the beautiful colours of the trees and the unmatched vibes of Halloween, October would probably be the most boring month of the year along with November; Low chance of summer like warmth, low chance of anything cold, just blandness.
November’s arguably the worst though with zero chance of warmth and low chance of interesting cold. 
As already mentioned in this thread, spring offers far superior conditions.

I'd probably say December and January are the most boring months of the year for this part of the country.

We hardly ever get snow (meaningful January snow occurred in 1987, but since then, only in 2010 and 2013) and there's little chance of fine sunny weather either. Realistically (i.e. the weather most likely to happen), Dec and Jan produce at best dry and dull anticyclonic gloom, at worst, wet, dull and windy. Really dreadful time of year here (though obviously if you lived somewhere like central Europe or New England, it would be very different).

Spring, and specifically April, is certainly the most interesting time of the year, as it has a chance of achieving both snow and 25C+ temps, perhaps within a few days of each other. Also it's the time of the year when the Atlantic is most likely to shut up and we get airmasses from the continent or the Arctic instead.

In terms of "interest" of the months I'd probably say:

April > May > June > July > August > September > March > October > February > November > January > December.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
14 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

I have to disagree with some of the comments as the colder incursion was the second half of September being the coldest since 2012 and many cold winters have occurred after a mild/warm pattern across Europe. 1978, 1984, 1995, 2009. Many cold autumns have been followed by mild winters: 1974, 1992, 1993 etc. I really don’t believe there is a correlation to autumn weather and the following winter weather. If there was, we’d be able to predict weather far easier. 

Yes, this is very true ref some mild autumns followed by cold winters in the past.  That said, I think the colder second half of September was at least partly due to the uptick in Atlantic hurricane activity which pumped up the Greenland high to give the UK/western Europe winds from a northerly quarter.  However, since the tropics have gone quieter again, we seemed to have reverted back to the summer pattern with low pressure to our west, bathing the UK and much of Europe in warmth.  I just wonder what will force the pattern to change again moving forward?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A few days ago, we were forecast periods of rain for today, but then a couple of days ago today was forecast to have morning showers. But it looks as if we're going to have another dry sunny day instead.

Rain is vastly becoming the new snow - constantly getting pushed back, watered down or cancelled altogether.

This has been the theme throughout 2022.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
On 15/10/2022 at 13:29, damianslaw said:

In that transitional period between early autumn and deep Autumn. Deep Autumn I describe as period roughly 20 Oct to mid November, when we see rapid change in the feel of things, first air frosts likely for many, first cold feeling days, leaves peak in colour and break off quickly, light loss is signficant with clocks going back, sun loses all strength.

By mid Nov, the late autumn feeling sets in.. and preparation for winter and christmas takes over.

I find late October/ early Nov the most evocative time of the year, senses come alive. This is the last weekend of the year before that marked change in physche to one where the 'winter' head sets in, and usually the last one before you ditch the summer clothes/ light jacket attire. This is from a northern and Lakeland perspective.

Yes the shift into the darker time of year from the clock change weekend until early March is the biggest shift.

Summer warmth and the long summer day feelings are long gone by this point. 

• Like 2

Posted
On 17/10/2022 at 17:17, Stabilo19 said:

What a horrible night, 17°C outside at 2AM and very humid.

This is the worst type of weather for me, and unfortunately it looks unlikely to dip below 10°C for the foreseeable future. 🙄

Surely this helps people with the cost of energy. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 18/10/2022 at 09:03, LetItSnow! said:

I have to disagree with some of the comments as the colder incursion was the second half of September being the coldest since 2012 and many cold winters have occurred after a mild/warm pattern across Europe. 1978, 1984, 1995, 2009. Many cold autumns have been followed by mild winters: 1974, 1992, 1993 etc. I really don’t believe there is a correlation to autumn weather and the following winter weather. If there was, we’d be able to predict weather far easier. 

1993 was a cold autumn and I wouldn’t class winter 93/94 as a mild one. It was fairly cold during December at times, and parts of January 94 were chilly, plus Feb 94 produced more snow in the south.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes the shift into the darker time of year from the clock change weekend until early March is the biggest shift.

Summer warmth and the long summer day feelings are long gone by this point. 

One weekend left, then plunged into dark... Sunday 30th marks the dark day..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I would have 25-32c summers and cold winters with 5c to minus 10c with snow. 

As someone who enjoys all four seasons, I would be happy living in a country with those kind of conditions. Guaranteed thunderstorms every summer would be great as well.

I would love to experience a continental climate.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I would have 25-32c summers and cold winters with 5c to minus 10c with snow. 

Now that is pure perfection!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
9 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

As someone who enjoys all four seasons, I would be happy living in a country with those kind of conditions. Guaranteed thunderstorms every summer would be great as well.

Yes, I'd like to see four genuine, distinguishable seasons.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

it gets boringly predictable after a while

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
19 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

20.5c!!!! Bleeding amazing!!

20c here too and sunny most of the day,could easily be a summers day!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

20.5c!!!! Bleeding amazing!!

ill take your 20.5c and raise you 24c 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone. 😊

Sorry I’ve been quiet… Real life and all that… But I have to say, what an absolutely beautiful grey, misty, murky October’s day it is today! 🌫️😍👍🏻

To me there’s something perfect about a grey, misty, foggy autumn day in October. 👌🏻

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

What a dreadful day. Grey and dark with heavy rain all morning. Up to 18mm for the day.

• Like 2

Posted

What is going on with Met Office's new rain radar? Is it even an observation anymore or is it a nowcast/forecast. Rain for current time doesn't match other radars. What a bizarre decision.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Now this is the Autumnal day we need, good steady prolonged rain, fingers crossed more of the same over the coming weeks... we need it!

• Like 3

Posted
On 19/10/2022 at 12:36, damianslaw said:

One weekend left, then plunged into dark... Sunday 30th marks the dark day..

This is depressing. I always find it’s the worst period of the year. The sudden into afternoon darkness is a shock.

16 minutes ago, markyo said:

Now this is the Autumnal day we need, good steady prolonged rain, fingers crossed more of the same over the coming weeks... we need it!

Didn’t you like the autumn sunshine though? Not too cold and not too warm, but clear and dry. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

This is depressing. I always find it’s the worst period of the year. The sudden into afternoon darkness is a shock.

Didn’t you like the autumn sunshine though? Not too cold and not too warm, but clear and dry. 

I did enjoy it to be honest but its the rain we need,  a lot of it!

• Like 2

Posted
On 19/10/2022 at 13:01, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Now that is pure perfection!

Every single year.

That’s what I loved about living in Toronto. Guaranteed hot summers and guaranteed snow, even in a mild winter. You would still get 2 dumplings of snowfall between December and March. 

Latvia is a close second, as they have slightly better seasons also, but the only drawback is the cold Baltic Sea slows the warm up in the spring, and it can still be chilly Into May. 

Toronto also has one downside, the humidity can build because of its proximity to Lake Ontario, so some days when it hits 28-30c can feel oppressive. Another day can produce dry heat, if the wind is coming from a northerly direction. 

22 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

it gets boringly predictable after a while

Yeah I found that also while living in toronto.

The novelty wears off once you’ve experienced it for 6 months. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

I did enjoy it to be honest but its the rain we need,  a lot of it!

Yeah I can appreciate that. I was hoping the weather would hold for my day off tomorrow, but Sod’s law it couldn’t do that. I was also off last Friday and the weather was unsettled then lol.

Perhaps I’m being punished for my Sardinia holiday a couple of weeks back. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

What is going on with Met Office's new rain radar? Is it even an observation anymore or is it a nowcast/forecast. Rain for current time doesn't match other radars. What a bizarre decision.

I DETEST IT!!

• Like 1