Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Drought Watch

Posted
21 hours ago, reef said:

That's actually incredibly accurate. We're on 10.8mm of rain this month and the image shows us on 10mm. It also shows the strange rain shadow we've had over northern parts of East Yorkshire.

Bridlington tends to be dry, I think it has one of the lowest average rainfalls in Yorkshire. At Bempton we have missed out most of the recent showers. On hot days when I want an onshore breeze to keep the temperatures down we seem to have been under a strong SWly and on days when showers have been about we have had an onshore breeze locally keeping them away. Its been a dry year here apart from February. I am assuming the Wolds are at least partly responsible

9 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

Indeed, if i wash the car at the weekend, i will swill it off with a couple of watering cans, bucket of hot soapy water to wash as normal and rinse it off with a couple more watering cans, no hosepipe used, no laws broken!?! 🤷

I need to jet wash guttering and UPVC sofit boards, which are coming down this weekend to replace rotted out timbers behind them. I assume using jet wash with hose attached to feed it is against the rules, but if I set a barrel up to feed it and fill the barrel with water from a bucket I will be in the clear. Wont use any less water, probably more (buckets slopping about) and I will do it on the grass, may as well 'recycle' the water, but there you go.

Edited by mike57
Missed a bit
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
9 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

YEa it's that hurdle bit that I don't get. I mean I've been filling my watering can ... from the the hose ... and using that before ... Still a hurdle?

My neighbour has been doing the same! And using it for his watering can. Pond is ok if you have fish. If not then no. Not filled ours up

My pond is full of fish and the odd newt or two.  

7E8DA7AE-7E83-4E1F-A5C5-6B473897DC39.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yep, thanking my lucky stars that we're *just* within the Anglian Water area! Literally a mile down the road is covered by Thames Water who are now under a hosepipe ban. Oddly, our sewerage is dealt with by Thames Water.

It is funny that the driest region in the country isn't bringing in restrictions. Probably to do with the fact they're used to having to conserve water far more than the likes of Wales.

I think this tells the tale

NWLD-composite-water-leaks-MH.jpg?width=
WWW.NATIONALWORLD.COM

As parts of England face drought and hosepipe bans water companies are losing millions of litres of water everyday through leaking pipes.

• Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, danm said:

The rainfall in the area I’ve circled in red is almost entirely from that intense downpour we had on Wednesday that caused flash flooding. Other than that we’ve had almost nothing since early June.

F59BFAA3-E082-48AD-88DF-2F5E6D5D59AB.thumb.jpeg.e51782bfdf70aae50729160bc2e61f08.jpeg

You could extend that red area further SW, we had about 60% of the summer rainfall this year in a 30 minute burst last week. I'm In the very odd position where if tonight is very wet I could end up basically bang on average rainfall for the summer despite going around 50 days with just 1mm of rainfall. 

I'm not sure there is going to be a huge amount of change in the next 3-6 months given we've got a very entrenched and pretty strong La Nina pattern, so another drier thasn average Autumn and maybe winter wouldn't shock me. I do however have a sneaky feeling that next year may well evolve like 2012 and once the long lasting La Nina is going we shift back into a much wetter pattern again for a while.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Loooads of lovely, heavy rain as I leave the island to head northwards to the no doubt greener pastures of Aberdeenshire for the weekend! Might actually return to a greener lawn looking at the radar too as there's plenty of rain to come through.

Posted
On 24/08/2022 at 00:27, danm said:

The rainfall in the area I’ve circled in red is almost entirely from that intense downpour we had on Wednesday that caused flash flooding. Other than that we’ve had almost nothing since early June.

F59BFAA3-E082-48AD-88DF-2F5E6D5D59AB.thumb.jpeg.e51782bfdf70aae50729160bc2e61f08.jpeg

It will be interesting to revisit the updated map after the rain this morning has been recorded. It's not looking to be such a dry month for many now, though I suspect there will still be very low totals for parts of east Anglia, Kent, M4 corridor, parts of Wales and the Midlands, and Yorkshire. With little rain in the forecast for the rest of August, those areas missing the rain today may not see any until September. 

In my local area we remain severely dry with only 10mm for the month, and today's rain missing us almost entirely, save for a splash of drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

We had some rain yesterday evening, it has rained on and off overnight I think and is raining now.  Not nearly enough yet to soak deep into gardens for the bushes and trees but enough to freshen smaller plants etc.  Still having to water hanging baskets and pots though.  We are doing better than some on the rain front.

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 2

Posted

Perfect rain here in London to help alleviate drought. 20mm so far from this system and not too torrential either. Fair bit of thunder earlier, lightning very vivid about 6am. Looking forward to eight more months of this. Bye bye summer 2022. You won't be missed. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Finally, the drought is broken! Had about an inch of rain which I think is the wettest day of the year here.

@richie3846 sadly the cumulative radar graphic failed to generate this morning, will post tomorrow's if it decides to work!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am hoping this rain we have been having since yesterday afternoon is the beginning of the end of the drought, instead of being just a blip. All droughts, no matter how long they go on for come to an end eventually. I still say we are in for a wetter than average autumn this year, with September being fairly mixed. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

2.5mm into the pot ...

Oh dear, that lawn mower will be coming out of the shed again soon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
14 minutes ago, Don said:

summer 1995 i never touched the lawn mower after mid June..the only summer i can remember in the UK where this was the case..one good thing about living in Edmonton is that you only have to mow the lawn about half dozen times a year tops

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

summer 1995 i never touched the lawn mower after mid June..the only summer i can remember in the UK where this was the case..one good thing about living in Edmonton is that you only have to mow the lawn about half dozen times a year tops

Yeah same in the Rockies (except monsoon June)

Infact I went a few years never cutting my grass as my retired neighbour used to do it every time he cut his lawn.

I used to like him. Until one night an elk shed his antlers on my lawn. I saw them there at night and was going to get them in the morning to keep as a memento.

Anyway next day they were gone. I was most perplexed. Not for long. My next door neighbour invited me round for a beer a little while longer and as I walked into his basement suite , what should be there above the fire place? My bl**dy antlers! 

Morale of the story...if an elk sheds its antlers on your lawn, pick them up straight away! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I think I've only mowed the rear lawn once since the end of June and not done the front since mid June.  However, the back garden will need to be mowed again very soon, i.e. this weekend but the front garden can probably wait a few weeks, thanks to it being south facing!

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Not been mowed once this year! A) Lazy husband and B) Chickens on the rest 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Not been mowed once this year! A) Lazy husband and B) Chickens on the rest 

Perhaps I should invest in chickens then?!  Second thoughts the buggers will wake me up too early!!  I will just have to be less lazy and mow the lawn!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
5 minutes ago, Don said:

Perhaps I should invest in chickens then?!  Second thoughts the buggers will wake me up too early!!  I will just have to be less lazy and mow the lawn!

The only 2 thinks you get with keeping chickens in town's n city gardens are free eggs and the attention of Rats! 🤫

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

The only 2 thinks you get with keeping chickens in town's n city gardens are free eggs and the attention of Rats! 🤫

Thankfully I'm sort of out in the sticks, but they would still attract the rats and think about the mess!!  Free eggs would be nice mind!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Drought seems to have ended here at least, bone dry all summer but the last 2 weeks have seen just over 50mm around here, 33mm last night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
6 minutes ago, Don said:

Thankfully I'm sort of out in the sticks, but they would still attract the rats and think about the mess!!  Free eggs would be nice 

Free range hens give the best eggs, when they have plenty off room to roam about and forage, not stuck in a suburban garden!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Wold Topper said:

Not had rats thank god but had wood mice here over the years loads of them which aren't as bad but still a bit of a pain. Had them in the house too before properly blocking entry points, even in the bedroom woke us up gnawing on on a box and then it darted out the room when I got up. It was a tiny little thing. Problem is they're good climbers and jumpers and can run up the inside of drain pipes and into the bathroom/kitchen sink and then into the house. They can fit through tiny gaps and holes. Didn't really want to kill them but I have done in the past in traps and felt a bit bad afterwards so then went to town and blocked most of the possible entry points. Not heard any scratching or seen any for a few year's now.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

They can fit through tiny gaps and holes. Didn't really want to kill them but I have done in the past in traps and felt a bit bad afterwards so then went to town and blocked most of the possible entry points. 

There are always the humane traps which work quite well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 minute ago, Don said:

There are always the humane traps which work quite well.

Yeah cheers Don I've heard of those and should I have any more issues I'd rather get them instead of basically breaking their necks again. I've done my best at filling in holes and stuff and thankfully not had any more intrusions as far as I know since then. We don't have any houses near us for a few hundred yards so I think they live in the big woods at the back of our house. As I've been in the loft and there's never been any evidence that they've actually lived in the house, no droppings etc or bedding so it's highly likely they came in to see if there was any food. I'm not a rodent expert though but still I would rather have them not in the house.

• Like 1