Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair weather, hate snow/ice. Hate rain even more.
19 minutes ago, Phildb2 said:

Storm should be with you in 40 minutes just entering Leamington Spa heading north west ,just starting here very dark

Reckon you're right, it has got darker here, and one of the cats is now behind sofa. 😏

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

First storm of the year here. Lightning fairly weak but the rainfall good in a bad way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
17 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

Quite tempting to call bust here in NW London for the second day in a row.  Convergence zone is clearly to our NW - there appears to be no surface heating to our south to develop storms, and it has had that claggy cloud all day - the clouds just don't have that look.

Bust.thumb.PNG.346d377be838d1e1f5dd83ebe2dc6dd3.PNG

But go outside and it feels like there will be a storm - or at least a downpour.  And that is what real meteorologists go on, right?  Feel.

Felt like it was going to crack all day, oppressively muggy, the sun is out now and it doesn’t feel as sweat inducing but.. some people will laugh… my trusty storm headache has reared its head and the faint ringing sensation in my ears has started, and they’ve not been far from wrong yet.. let time tell, meanwhile praying the little cell (seems to be splitting) makes it and re-electrifies. Otherwise it’s going to be early morning channel watching. 

• Like 3

Storm still not reached my northern part of Sheffield. Some thunder heard on occasion, which is a first for me this year, but not a drop of rain yet today... come on get here! 😄 

Posted

Keeping a eye out the window as the line of convection moves further north, it's interacting more with the winds moving down from Yorkshire/Pennines creating a convergence line. Already surrounded by quick-building CU clouds amongst the mid-layer murk and with ever-darkening bases as the CZ establishes.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Keeping a eye out the window as the line of convection moves further north, it's interacting more with the winds moving down from Yorkshire/Pennines creating a convergence line. Already surrounded by quick-building CU clouds amongst the mid-layer murk and with ever-darkening bases as the CZ establishes.

Looks to me like its all dying, think that difference in wind direction just north has killed off any meaningful convection and destroyed our chances of a good storm

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Moderate rain with big drops, very dark skies that look like they want to go bang, but sadly its not

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Worth keeping an eye on developments between Rennes and the Channel Isles? Dan mentioned the possibility of channel storms moving northwards tonight, and ECM has been keen on that happening for days - other models less so it has to be said.

• Like 4

Posted

Well for a long time today it looked like us in Gloucester would be one of those areas to miss out but it's absolutely kicked off in the last hour. Lots of rain now and seen a flash or two but honestly it's not very thundery - just lots of well needed rainfall (hopefully not too much - we have memories of that...) Much fresher feeling too with temps dropping 3-4c 

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Looks to me like its all dying, think that difference in wind direction just north has killed off any meaningful convection and destroyed our chances of a good storm

You're likely right, sferics-wise it's nowhere near as potent as it was a hour ago but at least the grass will be getting watered if the CZ makes it this far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Something may be growing to the south of here, don't want to tempt fate, but worth keeping one eye it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Small storm has developed over me, a few booms so far.

9 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

You're likely right, sferics-wise it's nowhere near as potent as it was a hour ago but at least the grass will be getting watered if the CZ makes it this far.

Yeah the lightning has died down. It's on the doorstep here, a few spits and spots but not hearing any more thunder.

Having now heard thunder this year, all I want from this is rain... pleeeeeeeaaaassseee!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Again, if anyone is desperate, there's a nice storm approaching Montpellier atm. 

WWW.MONTPELLIER.FR

La Place de la Comédie à Montpellier à tout moment de la journée ou de la nuit ! Des webcams vous montrent la ville ainsi que l'activité en permanence sur les belles places de la ville.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Keeping a eye on the cells slowly approaching from the SE, up the M40 from Leamington😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder

Thunder heard in Bexhill from the channel cell

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

My second storm wasn't as 'bad' as my first. Hardly any rain but some nice thunder which seemed to die as quick as it came.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Dami said:

My second storm wasn't as 'bad' as my first. Hardly any rain but some nice thunder which seemed to die as quick as it came.

My noutghtth storm was the as all the others, I haven't experienced this year, Dami. It never happened!😁

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

My noutghth storm was the as all the others, I haven't experienced this year, Dami. It never happened!😁

Know what you mean Pete  moved down here a few days ago  now wolves  could well see a storm or two   typical 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely moderate sometimes heavy rain here for past 30 min, even been out wiping the dusty windows down on the bungalow in it with a free rinse..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Is anything likely to develop later on or tonight or is it just the south east with the potential?

• Like 1