Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Just had a cracking Thunderstorm develop right over my part of the island. First signs of development around 16:30 just to our East and North East, to which then another cell went up over the North of the island. These cells then combined with one another which exploded pretty much over my head, down the East coast. Started with a posi CG, which then got more and more frequent with thunder and lightning going off every 10-20 seconds (a good mix of IC and CG's) at one point. Along with this came torrential rain with a fair few places on the island now flooded, I actually got caught in this and am drenched! 

This has now moved through, though some more cells have just gone up over west Wight which looks like they are also producing.

Producing for the fish only, had a minute of moderate rain as it developed over my head while moving away - story of the day! It's doing plenty of rumbling, but no lightning observed yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
16 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

One of the most frustrating days I can remember. Storms skirting just to the north, or just to the south (talking merely 5 miles each time), or just developing from nowhere above my head as they move away. 

Year i.know that feeling...very frustrating...however for once we got lucky here..would have thought you would be in a prime position for any channel activity...hopefully your time will come...still calling for more widespread rain late Sunday on the forecasts so lets hope for you and all the others that havent seen any proper rain yet that will at least bring some relief...before it warms up again ...

2104183742_h850t850eu-2022-08-17T180418_258.thumb.png.b4dc2c1c8ca93399bfbb3f266229ea7f.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Pixel said:

Bang on target that last storm - right over us - gave us 25.2 mm of rain. Such a wonderful sight and sound after so long 🤩

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 16.10.59.png

Up the road in stevenage it went literally alongside us to the east and all of it missed us!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
7 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Producing for the fish only, had a minute of moderate rain as it developed over my head while moving away - story of the day! It's doing plenty of rumbling, but no lightning observed yet.

That's the problem isn't it when it starts developing right over head, luckily I was just far enough South and East when it exploded into life. Flash flooding has occurred in Sandown, Shanklin and Arreton. As for the lightning most of it became intra cloud or singular negative cg's barring the odd posi. So once it began moving away the rain obscured any visibility of the lightning. Sorry to hear it didn't quite do it for your part of the island 😞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The weather being as dry as it has been meant that all the moss on the roof of the house had dried and shrivelled up. The downpour we had in the afternoon washed it all down. I have never seen so much moss piled up below the downpipes lol

• Like 9

Posted

Had an insane storm here in the south of France earlier - they weren’t exaggerating when they forecast ‘violent’ storms because it was pretty scary at times.

Power has only just been restored 7 hours later! 

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Had an insane storm here in the south of France earlier - they weren’t exaggerating when they forecast ‘violent’ storms because it was pretty scary at times.

Power has only just been restored 7 hours later! 

Yeah they get some nasty ones over there.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah they get some nasty ones over there.

I’m up in the hills too so it was extra anxiety inducing. 

strobe lighting and dozens of positive CGs with gunshot thunder that shook the van. 

Rain and wind was crazy too! 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Pretty impressive radar returns earlier amounted to 10 minutes of torrential rain as landfall had the effect of killing the channel lighting and thunder and also reducing rainfall intensity.

Quite frustrating really,my locale also missed the best of yesterday's thundery downpours as they were just to my West.

Strange situation with the channel formation,South Coast weakening ( here at least) and intensification again around London as it all worked North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

Is it just me or does Spain see a lot less thunderstorms than a few years back, same with the Benelux 

2 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Pretty impressive radar returns earlier amounted to 10 minutes of torrential rain as landfall had the effect of killing the channel lighting and thunder and also reducing rainfall intensity.

Quite frustrating really,my locale also missed the best of yesterday's thundery downpours as they were just to my West.

Strange situation with the channel formation,South Coast weakening ( here at least) and intensification again around London as it all worked North.

Sadly for us in the far south east 

Posted

The storms have formed a line50826CA4-AE25-44E9-93DC-AAB51E16C414.thumb.jpeg.739544b3df46b36fb61250afdfb9b341.jpeg

2 hours ago, Callie said:

Well that was quite a day! Good storm over Lewes earlier and a building near where I was appeared to get hit, think it had a lightning conductor though. Once back in Eastbourne found the main Tesco car park was flooded… 

The one near McDonald’s?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

How would everyone here rate this years storm activity out of 10?

I think i would give it a 2 tbh, i can count the amount of lightning ive personally seen on one hand 🙄

Today brought nothing more than overcast sky's and yesterday was a major fail as a band of heavy rain imbedded with thunderstorms managed to kill off all electrical activity about 10 mins before reaching me. But it is what it is, maybe next year will be better? This years summer plumes seemed to contain lots of dry air which didnt help our chances. I know you guys down south seem to have had a better year so maybe i should stop whining and move down there 😆

Hopefully we can get one last shot at convective activity at the end of august or maybe september as i really dont want to completely give up on this year before summer is done.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
5 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

I think i would give it a 2 tbh, i can count the amount of lightning ive personally seen on one hand 🙄

Today brought nothing more than overcast sky's and yesterday was a major fail as a band of heavy rain imbedded with thunderstorms managed to kill off all electrical activity about 10 mins before reaching me. But it is what it is, maybe next year will be better? This years summer plumes seemed to contain lots of dry air which didnt help our chances. I know you guys down south seem to have had a better year so maybe i should stop whining and move down there 😆

Hopefully we can get one last shot at convective activity at the end of august or maybe september as i really dont want to completely give up on this year before summer is done.

2? I would give it a 0, considering the amount of hot days and record days, I would expect a lot more. Even Las Vegas has had more thundertorms, the weather keeps getting worse, no snow, no rain, no thunder. 40c which even Australians say is hot. All for a few hours of moderate rain. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
14 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

So far like a 3/10? We had that squall line in February (I think from storm Franklin) which brought some mad winds and rain, even tornado damage was apparently reported north of me, with a some lightning as it tracked further east. Then end of May had a decent hailstorm with CG lightning. Yesterday had a brief storm come close with good lightning visible. That’s been it for this year,  2 or 3 days of thunder so far. Quite underwhelming. 

• Like 3

Posted

Missed out on thunder today, but had some useful rain.

Posted

I would rate it as a 2 we had a small storm in February, then at the end of may we had large storms, in June we had a small cg storm and now we had a small storm with rain. We could be in for a stormy September tho if the heat carry’s on 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Will have to rely on Atlantic fronts for rain, no measurable rain today. 

I'm sure it WILL rain again soon, the nature of storms means rainfall is concentrated in some areas.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sprites said:

Will have to rely on Atlantic fronts for rain, no measurable rain today. 

I'm sure it WILL rain again soon, the nature of storms means rainfall is concentrated in some areas.

Yeah, southeast is still dry, the downs are still scorched

Posted
4 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Explosive rain development on radar to the east of London…

18931B5B-3214-41FB-8EAA-2D9F6068CE8E.thumb.jpeg.6b31cccfd91a2075978b6d3726591df7.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers
13 minutes ago, Thunders said:

I would rate it as a 2 we had a small storm in February, then at the end of may we had large storms, in June we had a small cg storm and now we had a small storm with rain. We could be in for a stormy September tho if the heat carry’s on 

Yeah im 🙏 that September delivers alot more than summer has, if the heat is still around and starts to interact with something like increasing moisture it could hopefully bring us some good storms. Nothing sticking out in the models so far but keeping an eye out for any activity. 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Explosive rain development on radar to the east of London…

8AE01BD8-F51E-4077-9C55-B6AFE70EA12D.thumb.jpeg.b712b5186569bab7a164af768ddccf81.jpegcan slightly see the towers from it