Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Oh good, it looks like I am completely wrong (as usual). Had a look in on Brest webcam to see one flash of lightning.  Yes, it is kicking off and let's hope it's a good one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
11 minutes ago, Lu. said:

I’m being incredibly indecisive right now, my plans were to go to Worthing - I’ve had my power nap. But my gut feeling is to maybe wait it out here at Southsea 😅🤷🏻‍♀️

Worthing might not be a bad shout to be fair Lu, I'm thinking of starting out at Shoreham just east of there or my usual spot at devil's dyke on top of the downs just inland. Visuals up there are very good out to sea and also inland too👍! Good luck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
2 hours ago, sunnijim said:

Are you actually on the shoreline?🤣

A few miles inland of the sea at Saltdean and its warm and muggy.

I was in my garden 😂

went for a walk in town and on the seafront and it is in fact warm, muggy and humid

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Peachy said:

Just about to set off from the Midlands down to Southend on Sea as I feel this could be a hot spot for the early hours.

Hoping to arrange shortly after midnight. 

Will post some pics and videos of any action. 

Good luck and great dedication, Southend could be a pretty good shout indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I have a feeling it will be getting light before any storms make it this far north.... Some development to the west of London now 

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Comparing the last 2 ukv"s the 18z is somewhat scaled back for 6am from the 15z with the eastern edge further west...if that makes sense. I suppose all part of the continuing adjustments being made by the model, however it could incredibly result in my position just outside Colchester now being too far east!!😠

56093984_nmmukprate(7).thumb.png.71bce310252eaeb9e7e9b19b295154b2.png

1689737947_nmmukprate(6).thumb.png.80e8663b1d2717ca00ad1966611b629b.png

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Definitely. Although to be fair it was raining at home. 

Currently at Bishops Stortford trying to decide my next move. M11 is also shut (as is the M1) but can still get to the M25 and on to Kent by going round the closure.

Alternatively I could stick with the Essex coast, which is closer.

@Peachy good luck tonight, nice to see I'm not the only one willing to drive a long distance to see a storm 👍

Good luck tonight supacell, the miles and dedication you put in are second to none and I hope you hit the jackpot mate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

Evening all hope everyone is well. As we are all aware there is a potentially interesting night now upon us with most models hinting at quite a lively night for some of us in the south east. I will certainly be out for a chase tonight as I'm heading to Folkstone for a camping trip with my 9 year old son and we are packed and ready to go and should it kick off tonight we can be on the road and attempt to get underneath the best areas if it decides to turn up! Good luck to all who are chasing tonight and let's hope we get some pyrotechnics in the skies! Currently 21 degrees here in Hassocks with some accas starting to move in, it's certainly feeling pretty ripe and my confidence is increasing so all eyes on the skies and the radar for me now. Good luck everyone.

Camping at the Warren or Little Switzerland? Brilliant storm watching from both of those if you are!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Can feel my pre storm headache coming on, that’s generally a pretty good sign

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Comparing the last 2 ukv"s the 18z is somewhat scaled back for 6am from the 15z with the eastern edge further west...if that makes sense. I suppose all part of the continuing adjustments being made by the model, however it could incredibly result in my position just outside Colchester now being too far east!!😠

56093984_nmmukprate(7).thumb.png.71bce310252eaeb9e7e9b19b295154b2.png

1689737947_nmmukprate(6).thumb.png.80e8663b1d2717ca00ad1966611b629b.png

Agreed @minus10, less exciting than previous runs. However I tend not to look at models this close to proceedings and rely on sky-gazing. I’m inclined right now to set an alarm for 2am and have a quick check 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

Can feel my pre storm headache coming on, that’s generally a pretty good sign

Yep, all looking rosy at this point. Still 22c here with a very juicy atmosphere. If this doesn’t deliver I really do give up!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed @minus10, less exciting than previous runs. However I tend not to look at models this close to proceedings and rely on sky-gazing. I’m inclined right now to set an alarm for 2am and have a quick check 👍

That might put me too far east as well.

Posted
7 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Camping at the Warren or Little Switzerland? Brilliant storm watching from both of those if you are!

The Warren for one night and wild camp for 2 night's potentially capel le ferne cliffs. If we leave tonight then likely a night in the car as its far safer on high ground than the tent! Thanks for letting me know both have good visuals for storms and good luck with getting a storm in your neck of the woods 👍!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
3 hours ago, Lu. said:

I will most likely go towards Worthing. Taking my uniform and pillow just in case it’s a late late one! 

Was thinking about it, but forgot to retrieve the van from the barn!  I'd rather be in that than the Mini....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looks like it's all dying off on Lightning Maps. Is it expected to reignite when it gets to us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Looks like it's all dying off on Lightning Maps. Is it expected to reignite when it gets to us?

Initiation hasn't even begun yet, we are looking towards the Brest peninsula for developments from 01:00 onwards I believe

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Ignore what’s going on over France right now. If anything affects us, it’ll erupt from around 01:00 - 02:00 onwards 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I did think about heading down to jury's gap in camber, but work has got in the way, early start tomoz, good luck all those that are chasing, and stay safe. 

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

A brave call Peachy. Southend is well within the 'Cone of Silence', ie, misses storms with alarming regularity!  Fingers crossed tonight works out for you.

Yeah I would say Southend is a bit dodgy. It's not the easiest place to quickly move from. If I was you I would stop on the roundabout for  wickford/south woodham Ferrers  above the A130 elevated position there to get good shots plus more important you can quickly get onto A12 and head further north east if needed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
3 minutes ago, pages said:

Yeah I would say Southend is a bit dodgy. It's not the easiest place to quickly move from. If I was you I would stop on the roundabout for  wickford/south woodham Ferrers  above the A130 elevated position there to get good shots plus more important you can quickly get onto A12 and head further north east if needed.

A very wise bit of advice 👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I look forward to seeing the light show but as the minutes tick past it looks more likely I wont see anything, not even distant. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Good luck to all those in the south east. Currently staying the night in Scarborough. Maybe some of those showers shown on the ukv may initiate and produce a few sparks later on but I’m not holding onto too much hope. Most of the action is definitely going to in the south east. This could well be the last chance for something noteworthy to happen this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

I'm beginning to return to my original feelings from my first post this evening.

This ain't looking good.  Sorry, Harry.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Unless you're in Kent/Sussex, or the Channel isles, it will be daylight before any storms are around.

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 1