Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Slug

Storms and lightning seems to be in the same locations these past few weeks.  Lots of lightning and intense areas of rain in cornwall of late, and torbay, and then further east.  

All lightning seems to be not wanting to come anywhere near me in plymouth currently.  Not impressed 😆

A whole week of potential storms so might aswell just give me at least 1 decent storm or be close enough after dark to be able to watch it.  

My Mjǫllnir is hungry for the lightning and so am i!  Let’s get it done.  

⚡🦊

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@Minus 10 I'm ok thank you if a bit tired. The car will need a new tyre but it's probably to be expected my car would get hit at some point. When you hunt for storms, one day they'll bite back. At least its not hail dents 😂

@sunnijim Thank you, I do enjoy making the reports. I think lightning was more prolific in your location than where I was, main thing last night was the rain and winds. The previous night was better for lightning. Even so, two nights with great storms and lots of footage to edit.

Hopefully more to come over the rest of the week.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Short but intense storm around midnight the most noticeable aspect was the derecho style winds and horizontal rain  stuff clattering around all over 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

well, what was going to be a 17min thunderstorm recording turned into a 26min video due to an hour later after the first storm, another came over and now I've recorded 2 videos of both of the storms and now they're uploaded to youtube

I hope you guys enjoy the video because I can say I enjoyed the storms as well, also sorry about all the moving around 5 mins in, I started to get wet from my window sill so I had to close the window whilst still recording without trying to woble too much.

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, LightningFox92 said:

Storms and lightning seems to be in the same locations these past few weeks.  Lots of lightning and intense areas of rain in cornwall of late, and torbay, and then further east.  

All lightning seems to be not wanting to come anywhere near me in plymouth currently.  Not impressed 😆

A whole week of potential storms so might aswell just give me at least 1 decent storm or be close enough after dark to be able to watch it.  

My Mjǫllnir is hungry for the lightning and so am i!  Let’s get it done.  

⚡🦊

'Weeks' ???

Nice mesoscale low showing off the tip of Cornwall at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Found it, just down the street from me,80 KA, highest I think I've seen this year in the UK is 30, that tells how powerful it was because I've had some loud thunder this year that came nowhere near even half of that's power.

Polish_20220906_001444407.thumb.png.49167fd30a4376df6aab908bd8eaf30e.png

Which website is this from? 

Edit: just noticed you answered this on the page before.

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, MP-R said:

Which website is this from? 

Meteologix, it's a complicated way of getting to it though, if you get onto radar and lightning in the past and press on lightning then looks back in the past and press on an individual lightning strike this comes up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I stopped messaging on here last night as there was too much to keep an eye on!

As early as 21:00, it was possible to see lightning flashes in the SE and SW skyline. Over the next couple of hours, more and more storms developed, each flashing away. At one point I had lightning flashes from every compass direction - all from different cells while I was standing under dry conditions - I can't ever remember that happening before.

I heard my first thunder around 23:00, with some fairly close lightning flashes/cracks during a 10 minute period as they moved overhead. They were so bright they set off our neighbour's security light. The storms then trundled off E/NE and I was treated to some very vivid lightning flashes and distant rumbles as I dozed off to sleep. One in particular was extremely bright from behind the curtains, followed about 20 - 30 seconds later by a distant, ground shaking boom (love positive strikes!!).

The past 10 days have been awesome for storms in my neck of the woods and I can't believe @Nick F has indicated another 50% chance tonight.

Awesome!!

Edited by Harry
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
34 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

Short but intense storm around midnight the most noticeable aspect was the derecho style winds and horizontal rain  stuff clattering around all over 

The line of storms had a bit of a C look to it when it passed over London.  Some pretty gusty winds which were never too extreme but were all blowing the direction of the front.

I did observe that the runway direction was switched at Stansted when the line passed over suggesting quite an abrupt change in wind direction.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Frequent thunder and lightning here in Dundee just now. Storm is just offshore to our SE and closing in.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Uploaded the gopro time lapse from a couple days ago. I'll edit the rest of my camera footage into another video at some point soon.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
4 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Frequent thunder and lightning here in Dundee just now. Storm is just offshore to our SE and closing in.

Amazing how something can travel out to sea, die off and then re-invigorate further north and head inland, thanks to all the right ingredients.

Ah, if only that happened further south more often. It's only happend here once, when a storm system did a complete about turn and headed back across the Norfolk coast and moved SW. Would have been back in the late 90s. 

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Meteologix, it's a complicated way of getting to it though, if you get onto radar and lightning in the past and press on lightning then looks back in the past and press on an individual lightning strike this comes up.

Thanks! this is pretty cool. This shows 5 CG strikes within a few hundred metres of me last night in the space of 3 mins around 9:56, thought that was a scarey and loud episode. Is it accurate, do we think? Also, 4 of them show as positive and only one negative - how can they tell? Also interested if the power they say they have can be measured - the worryingly close 13 KA "strong slammer" does sound kind of dramatic.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, chapmanslade said:

'Weeks' ???

Nice mesoscale low showing off the tip of Cornwall at the moment

I’m sure there was some lightning activity in the channel and west of cornwall in the last week or 2 before the rains arrived on our shores? I could be mistaken? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
34 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Safe to say yesterday wasn't too bad! 😜

Taken near Weymouth. Managed to get down there in time as the most active part of the squall was approaching! In the 2nd photo think I managed to catch a CG just left of middle, but was taking a panorama, so it didn't capture it really.

1624392388_Image(2).thumb.jpeg.b1b70897068ab5989fc77189b7481289.jpegImage.thumb.jpeg.ad8b89196e6149d7c268a3b8396875cd.jpeg

That is something else Ben... 👏👏

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, Storm_Sikher said:

Covid chasing from my bedroom pt2
As a storm chaser this is the worst week to be ill 😷 but I've still seen amazing stuff, and to get an Arcus two nights in a row, crazy, that's not happened before in over 35 years of doing this apart from in the U.S
This is a decent Arcus from last night with some squiggly lightning!
Gravesend, Kent

_8500981.jpg

Wow...wow...wow...what a pic!!...so many fantastic pics from the last 2 days 😄

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, LightningFox92 said:

I’m sure there was some lightning activity in the channel and west of cornwall in the last week or 2 before the rains arrived on our shores? I could be mistaken? 

Some parts of Cornwall had thunderstorms on Monday 15th August.

Posted

Oh dear, another storm somehow just passes the city 😂 

soon perhaps or am i gonna have to get on a plane and live out the rest of my days at Relámpago del Catatumbo? 

image.thumb.png.758b93a3a40aa9edd066f3c8ced9f5e8.png

Literally just build a castle there and enjoy paradise ⚡🦊

• Like 2