Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Mountain Snowfall Season 2022-23

damianslaw

Posted

My calandar states its Autumn tomorrow. A cold northerly forecast early in the new year, quite likely to bring snowfall to highest scottish hills. Nothing too unusual about that.

The Lakeland fells typically have to wait until late October for their first dusting.

Use this thread to post snow level lines, depths on our mountains. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s a shame the old Winterhighland website isn’t being maintained anymore - it was brilliant for observing and reading first hand accounts of snow conditions across the Munroes

Iain Cameron (Snow patch researcher extraordinaire) was once very active on it 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Freezing levels set to drop below 1000m early new week, snowline could well be as low as 800m by Tuesday on Scottish Highlands. 

Yes I noticed the forecasts for Ben Macdui et al are nice and wintry Mon -Wed. 
I’m hopefully getting a munro in on Friday, A’Mharconich, sadly looking like it’ll be milder by then. I’ll have to wait for my first snowy walk of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
On 22/09/2022 at 23:44, Arch Stanton said:

It’s a shame the old Winterhighland website isn’t being maintained anymore - it was brilliant for observing and reading first hand accounts of snow conditions across the Munroes

Iain Cameron (Snow patch researcher extraordinaire) was once very active on it 

You can follow Iain on Twitter and there is also a Facebook group run by him "Snow patches in Scotland".

For those interested there should be some decent snowfall in the next few days particularly for the Northern Cairngorms. Whether it will be enough to save the one remaining snow patch in Scotland,the Sphinx on Braeriach, is very doubtful as lasting snow very rarely arrives in September, the last time being I think in 1976 when it actually did save the Sphinx snow patch, the only survivor that year after the roasting Summer. Incidentally the second last patch this year on Aonach Beag probably melted yesterday or today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Fresh snowfall being reported in the N/W Highlands today ☺️

Screenshot_20220927_102432_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.2f6e1d7acaa1cd375839cffbdf6c0cb4.jpgScreenshot_20220927_102936_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.873a3b9d9ae300ee06aec43e67a63e10.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
On 25/09/2022 at 18:35, Norrance said:

You can follow Iain on Twitter and there is also a Facebook group run by him "Snow patches in Scotland".

For those interested there should be some decent snowfall in the next few days particularly for the Northern Cairngorms. Whether it will be enough to save the one remaining snow patch in Scotland,the Sphinx on Braeriach, is very doubtful as lasting snow very rarely arrives in September, the last time being I think in 1976 when it actually did save the Sphinx snow patch, the only survivor that year after the roasting Summer. Incidentally the second last patch this year on Aonach Beag probably melted yesterday or today.

Thanks, unfortunately I’m a social media free zone, so I’ll just have to make do with what I read here and view the WebCams of Winterhighland for my mountain snow fix 

Edited by Arch Stanton

Posted

Looks like lot of snow for the top of Ben Nevis this week - 38cm -  though with lots of rain too, so maybe not much settling? Imagine if it came through 1 or 2C colder than expected, and the 80mm+ of rain came through as snow, too.  Another 80cm+ of snow would then take it to 4 feet of snow in total ! Of course, it might equally come through a bit milder.

WWW.MOUNTAIN-FORECAST.COM

Ben Nevis, Grampians, Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom Mountain weather forecast for 1344m. Detailed 6 day mountain weather forecast for climbers and mountaineers.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Scotland is now snowless, the sphinx has melted (as documented on Iain Cameron’s twitter and the aforementioned Facebook page). 

Bleak. 

Cannot wait for a this winter, hopefully a better winter than last. Surprised the Sphinx managed to last as long as it did

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Scotland is now snowless, the sphinx has melted (as documented on Iain Cameron’s twitter and the aforementioned Facebook page). 

Bleak. 

Cannot wait for a this winter, hopefully a better winter than last. Surprised the Sphinx managed to last as long as it did

Very sad, it’s happening all too frequently these days

Posted
1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Very sad, it’s happening all too frequently these days

Yes indeed and will only happen more frequently moving forward! 😢

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The fifth time this century that all snow has melted in Scotland. According to Iain Cameron the Sphinx patch has now melted six times this century having only melted 5 times in the previous three hundred years.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norrance said:

The sixth time this century that all snow has melted in Scotland. According to Iain Cameron the Sphinx patch has now melted six times this century having only melted 5 times in the previous three hundred years.

Says a lot about climate change doesn't it?!!  Writing on the wall.....

• Like 1

Posted

I'm hoping the upcoming switch to a more West/ N Westerly regime of weather will bring lasting snow to the Scottish Mountains. If it does then it will be 2/3 weeks earlier than in recent years (I'm sure it was around 10th-15th Nov last year)? To have it in October would be a bonus🤞

• Like 1

Posted

There was a cover of snow above around 800 mtrs widely in the Highlands today. Here is a photo of Ben Lawers in Perthshire earlier today coming out of a snow shower.

Could contain:

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted
23 hours ago, Norrance said:

There was a cover of snow above around 800 mtrs widely in the Highlands today. Here is a photo of Ben Lawers in Perthshire earlier today coming out of a snow shower.

Could contain:

Good to see, I was in the Cairngorms late Oct 2019 and there was plenty of snow above the sane height.

Its not normally until mid Nov we see snow sticking on our highest tops.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

When and why did you move up there Paul?

Thinking that will be the next place I move to!!

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Don said:

Thinking that will be the next place I move to!!

The scenery as you head down the A95 from Grantown on Spey to Aviemore in winter never gets old. Catching sight of the Cairngorms cloaked in snow 😎 

I was in Aviemore June 2001 and the Cairngorms turned white overnight, the German Shepherd was delighted with himself.

Aviemore would be a great place to base if you enjoy the great outdoors 👍 

• Like 2