Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2022 C.E.T. and EWP contests -- final month of the 2021-22 competitions

Posted

EWP has been adjusted to 158.8 mm in the tables. This will not affect contest scoring but I will edit in the adjusted values for average error which do change very slightly. In a day or so, I will post a link to the contest excel file which has other info such as all-time scoring, ranking averages for the year, and a table of EWP values from 1766 to present time that you can use for your own interests. 

Posted

All EWP scoring updated with the very minor changes created by the updated NOV value. The supporting excel file can be viewed below.

One feature of interest is the all-time scoring which is now led by Reef (59/60 contests entered) at 360.96, average score per contest 6.12.

In second place, Don has 355.94 points, (60/60 entered) for an average of 5.93. 

Third is Mulzy with 342.91 (60/60), average 5.72.

The rest of the top ten in that regard would be DR(S)NO, J10, Godber1, Bobd29, Midlands Ice Age, Jonboy who has high average for 57/60 (5.55), and seaside60.

11th place Feb91Blizzard has 304.61 for 50/60 after joining late in the first contest year. This gives an average of 6.09.

The best total for 58/60 entered is 15th place virtualsphere (PIT, Polar Gael, Stationary Front are 12th-14th).

You can see all the other details in the file. There is a feature tracking the highest total scores for each entry level (number of contests), it doesn't always improve with fewer contests entered, one notable high average is 6.13 for 22 entries by Thundery Wintry Showers, then further down we find Singularity (winner of first year) with 13 contests entered (Dec 2017 to Dec 2018) and an average of 7.50. This defeated all averages for 3 to 12 entries, but the highest 2 entry average was 8.67 (Nigerian Prince), while for 1 entry we have two one-timers who scored a perfect 10/10. 

Other features you might want to check, the best combined board updated to show those with multiple wins or ranked forecasts (the latter being any that add up to ranks of 12 or less, sometimes more than one of those occurs in a month, and this past month had four, a new record for that). 

Also in column CF in the rankings section, there's a tabulation of contests won (not best combined, just EWP). Of the 60, we've had one tie which counts as 0.5 contests won. The best totals there are 3 contests won by PIT, Polar Gael and B87.  Quite a few have won 2 including recent winner NeilN (typo alert, this shows up as 1 in the list but is now fixed in the file which I attached earlier). 

Once again, thanks for entering, the sixth EWP contest year has begun and I am updating this file to show five-year results etc in preparation for entering and then scoring December 2022. 

EWP21_22.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Like many others I would like to say thanks to J10 and Roger for their time and effort in doing this. 👍🙂

On a personal note, I am very happy with a top ten result this year and the all time top ten as listed above, very happy,  like all those others on here that really enjoy pitting our wits and good guesses against the chaotic weather.

Again thank you J10 and Roger.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Probably one of the worst performances for myself in the annual competition. I usually finish in the 4th-14th range most times if i recall but came 27th of those who entered every month.