Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z mean in early December pretty much mirrors the ECMWF 0z mean in the same timeframe, ergo, the transition to more settled / blocked & colder is pretty much complete….hopefully setting us up for something decidedly wintery further down the line! 🙏 😉 🥶 ☀️ ⛅️ 🌫 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Person

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Quick look at verification of the models. 5 day and 10 day, 10 day having a very poor result. One poster mentioned GFS post 168 hours, after 168 hours or 7 days the model has a far lower resolution in the physics, from 28 kilometers to 70 kilometers. So it is fair to say you can look at trends etc, but after 168 hours and with the charts below showing the 10 days skill you have to say it is still true that 5 to 7 days is really important. All sorts of things are missed after 7 days, that is simply a fact.

5 DAY

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart

10 DAY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Quick look at verification of the models. 5 day and 10 day, 10 day having a very poor result. One poster mentioned GFS post 168 hours, after 168 hours or 7 days the model has a far lower resolution in the physics, from 28 kilometers to 70 kilometers. So it is fair to say you can look at trends etc, but after 168 hours and with the charts below showing the 10 days skill you have to say it is still true that 5 to 7 days is really important. All sorts of things are missed after 7 days, that is simply a fact.

5 DAY

10 DAY

Thanks it was me on resolution post day 10. But @Mike Poole informed no drop in resolution since fv3 upgrade a couple years back..

Confused.com 🙂

Posted
8 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Thanks it was me on resolution post day 10. But @Mike Poole informed no drop in resolution since fv3 upgrade a couple years back..

Confused.com 🙂

Sorry Mike is wrong on that front. you can check it out on their site., “The model is constantly evolving, and regularly adjusted to improve performance and forecast accuracy. GFS is a global model with a base horizontal resolution of 18 miles (28 kilometers) between grid points. Temporal resolution covers analysis and forecasts out to 16 days. Horizontal resolution drops to 44 miles (70 kilometers) between grid points for forecasts between one week and two weeks. “

• Thanks 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Gfes 12z  z500 anoms still looking reasonable for beginning of December...upto t300

animavt4.thumb.gif.b76ff4c1d34fbeb31eca7be9b8ddd661.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I really don't know why people get hung up on each and every model run. The trend, dare I say it is very good for cold lovers. All the ingredients are coming togeather......Writing off the current synoptics is rather like writing off a cake you are going to bake with the finest ingredients, before you put it in the oven to Bake😃

• Like 7

Posted
39 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Confused.com 🙂

Would be good if the MOD thread could be spit into two 1-7 days and 7 days onwards.

• Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, Downburst said:

5 DAY

10 DAY

47 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Confused.com 🙂

34 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Sorry Mike is wrong on that front. you can check it out on their site., “The model is constantly evolving, and regularly adjusted to improve performance and forecast accuracy. GFS is a global model with a base horizontal resolution of 18 miles (28 kilometers) between grid points. Temporal resolution covers analysis and forecasts out to 16 days. Horizontal resolution drops to 44 miles (70 kilometers) between grid points for forecasts between one week and two weeks. “

Lots of out of date information on the net 

gfsv3 runs at 13km out to day 16 at 127 vertical layers 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
34 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Can you provide a link for that?  18 miles resolution?  That must be from donkey’s years ago.  Think horizontal resolution is now 13 km.

^ Thanks @bluearmy

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
6 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I really don't know why people get hung up on each and every model run. The trend, dare I say it is very good for cold lovers. All the ingredients are coming togeather......Writing off the current synoptics is rather like writing off a cake you are going to bake with the finest ingredients, before you put it in the oven to Bake😃

Yes there’s no point in looking at small details in every run. At the moment we should just be looking for the overall theme, which at the moment is for a blocking signal and a gradual cooling down.

Certainly there is potential for colder conditions. Let’s hope that potential is realised. 

Twenty years on here has taught me to err on the side of caution until I actually see the white stuff with my own eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Downburst said:

5 DAY

10 DAY

Root Mean Square Error is the standard deviation of observed values around forecast values for out of sample data.  So if the models were perfect they would have a RMSE of zero.  Are you confusing this with correlation which some verification data uses?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, Beanz said:

It's been asked every year, but unfortunately it's not a popular choice (but I do agree with you).  I'm sitting here wondering why we're discussing the possibility of cold at 16 days out...I get the 'trends' argument, but every year it's the same formula. 

384hr "BFTE v.2" -> 264hr "MetO and ECM must come on side" -> 240hr "GFS is rubbish" -> 168hr "winter is over" 

Post of the day 👍supposed to be a hobby not a trial. Anyway heres to a blocked December and snow 🙏

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
4 minutes ago, Beanz said:

It's been asked every year, but unfortunately it's not a popular choice (but I do agree with you).  I'm sitting here wondering why we're discussing the possibility of cold at 16 days out...I get the 'trends' argument, but every year it's the same formula. 

384hr "BFTE v.2" -> 264hr "MetO and ECM must come on side" -> 240hr "GFS is rubbish" -> 168hr "winter is over" 

Nothing but facts spoken here 👏

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Evening all, hope everyone is well.

Like many in the past couple of days I've started to tentatively look out for the building blocks.

Obviously way, WAY too early to anticipate but put it this way, I'd rather have cold members in the mix rather than complete mild full house. At least there are avenues to go down where there's a chance of something seasonal.

We all know it can and in all likelihood will go wrong, but if it's full house mild there's no route at all where it's a no show for at least another fortnight.

• Like 2

Posted

Massive absolutely massive high on the ecm!!!and as i mentioned earlier more importantly we get the building block much earlier to my liking!!!surely aint gona sink from here!!lol!watever happens its gona feel a lot colder!

• Like 3