Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Re-load at day ten,..."FANTASTICO"😍

625604260_ECH1-240(1).thumb.gif.5d4afaf7b019d7f85f4c348aa8c7e7da.gif

Is that high over in the Pacific trying to come over and shake hands with the Greenie high?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

A very good run, but I am slightly surprised that the uppers are as high as they are between 168 and 216

image.thumb.png.c2438333bab1d6837c426cca49bed0fe.png image.thumb.png.327dd1c9798ce49f55c3d979cdc5ffdb.png

Just small areas of -8 with the majority of the country in the -5/6 range.  Given the source of the air mass, I would have thought they'd be 3 or 4 degrees colder.  Perhaps the warmer than usual North Sea is moderating them higher?  Absolutely not a moan, just an observation.  We are certainly in an extremely good place given that tomorrow is the first day of winter proper!

Noticed that, probably due to front moving down from the north

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

A very good run, but I am slightly surprised that the uppers are as high as they are between 168 and 216

image.thumb.png.c2438333bab1d6837c426cca49bed0fe.png image.thumb.png.327dd1c9798ce49f55c3d979cdc5ffdb.png

Just small areas of -8 with the majority of the country in the -5/6 range.  Given the source of the air mass, I would have thought they'd be 3 or 4 degrees colder.  Perhaps the warmer than usual North Sea is moderating them higher?  Absolutely not a moan, just an observation.  We are certainly in an extremely good place given that tomorrow is the first day of winter proper!

Probably warm sectors behind fronts. If you want precipitation you're not going to avoid them - hopefully "warm" will still be cold enough in such a setup.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
13 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The ECM and jma at day ten😋

690411235_ECH1-240(1).thumb.gif.aa7dfa3e27f9bc8ec1ef0d5476afbf4f.gifJN240-21.thumb.gif.aa5053db70094a93ac69df1e6770c1e1.gif

Looks like a uterus ready to give  birth to 🥶 

Edited by Vikos
Bad English 😂
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Noticed that, probably due to front moving down from the north

The problem with northerlies these days is often twofold. First problem is the source is not as cold as it used to be (that will be true here) and secondly northerlies in recent years have been fleeting. The first point about source matters a fair bit less where the airflow stays in place for longer (which looks likely here). A third point which actually helps us is that we are rapidly approaching the shortest day so solar input will be low. So, whilst -5/-6 uppers are a little bit meh for a maritime airflow, we will probably be okay for snow. Are we looking at subzero days and deep snow? Doesn't look like that to me. Decent winter cold spell looks increasingly likely but nothing severe (at least at the moment 😀).

If we do manage to get a covering of snow on the ground over the next few weeks that will really impact daytime highs. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Beast from the North East?

Screenshot_20221130_191838_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
11 minutes ago, Jason M said:

The problem with northerlies these days is often twofold. First problem is the source is not as cold as it used to be (that will be true here) and secondly northerlies in recent years have been fleeting. The first point about source matters a fair bit less where the airflow stays in place for longer (which looks likely here). A third point which actually helps us is that we are rapidly approaching the shortest day so solar input will be low. So, whilst -5/-6 uppers are a little bit meh for a maritime airflow, we will probably be okay for snow. Are we looking at subzero days and deep snow? Doesn't look like that to me. Decent winter cold spell looks increasingly likely but nothing severe (at least at the moment 😀).

If we do manage to get a covering of snow on the ground over the next few weeks that will really impact daytime highs. 

I think you will find that that the cold north wind is just as cold as times gone by, just look at those Artic temperatures,  and so early in the season it's simply fridgid 😨😨😨

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
6 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I think you will find that that the cold north wind is just as cold as times gone by, just look at those Artic temperatures,  and so early in the season it's simply fridgid 😨😨😨

Not completely true as I have already said very little sea ice in Barents and Svalbard regions compared to days gone by ,also seas warmer than normal so temps will be warmer than we could expect 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
5 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

It will be interesting to see how the very warm sea temps modify the flow. You would imagine the warm seas and cold temps will only enhance the shower activity. To get this type of weather so early in the season really is special, perhaps some younger folk don't realise the extremity of what could develop!

agreed, could easily see very shallow areas of low pressure develop in such a flow, plenty of convergence lines too. Good luck to forecasters doing FAX charts with these synoptics. 

• Like 5