Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Absolute peach of a chart that! :0

I couldn’t possibly have posted that stonker of a chart could I. Silly me, I only analyse the ECM det.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
7 minutes ago, mbrothers said:

I think the relentless ott reactions to every run from some does get boring after a while . The overall picture is still fantastic. 

Absolutely 👍 

Less is (sometimes) more… 😎

• Like 6

Posted

Happy with ECM, second half has plenty of opportunities for snow, fair enough it may struggleto settle at times , but it’s only week 2 of winter !  

Don’t forget there’s more to snow than t850 look at the thickness / boundary layer and DPs, air is coming off the continent where they oftenget snow at -2 850hpa in sub 528 dam air and below 0c DP 

F5E46168-7F15-4350-B0B4-9064FEAEFEBD.jpeg

1A7BC057-AA46-4484-A876-2A0D8005CD3D.jpeg

4467CEC8-D01A-42D4-88BC-3FD691E1A052.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Well, little surprise, the ECM op lands in the cluster that the GFS op was in a couple of days ago, with the Arctic wedge spoiler:

ECH1-216.GIF.thumb.png.4e75b0e32410476a81f9643ab7d142be.png

This has been a significant cluster in the GEFS, and the only surprise was that ECM op did not highlight it in an earlier run. We know from the GEFS with this synoptic, that it is not what we want, for the cold outbreak or longevity. We will see where the music stops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Some stupid model outputs should not ruin your whole day and put you in a bad mood. 
unless haarp is working probably, there is nothing we can do about it to change it. What comes comes…. 😅🫣

Posted
Just now, IDO said:

Well, little surprise, the ECM op lands in the cluster that the GFS op was in a couple of days ago, with the Arctic wedge spoiler:

This has been a significant cluster in the GEFS, and the only surprise was that ECM op did not highlight it in an earlier run. We know from the GEFS with this synoptic, that it is not what we want, for the cold outbreak or longevity. We will see where the music stops.

Thank you for backing up exactly what I’ve been saying for the past half an hour 😅

Just now, Vikos said:

Some stupid model outputs should not ruin your whole day and put you in a bad mood. 
unless haarp is working probably, there is nothing we can do about it to change it. What comes comes…. 😅🫣

No model output will put me in a bad mood. People’s attitudes however…

• Like 8

Fantastic potential continues to exist on the model output this morning. Finer details to be decided. 

The use of emotive language such as "poor" and "disappointing" does not constitute sensible level-headed analysis hence the reactions from some.

Posted
Just now, seb said:

So really what you wanted to say was:

If the ECM Op verified as per this morning’s run then we’d end up with cold rain for most. 

That’s valid and I assume that’s what you meant. But what you actually said, together with the general OTT reaction by some, implies to those less knowledgeable that instead of cold and potentially snow we are now expecting miserable wet and cold weather which simply is not true.

But if I post a chart of the CURRENT run that should be a given.

I’m not here to specifically spoon feed beginners. I’ve been here for 12 years on this forum, my post style has never changed.

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

No model output will put me in a bad mood. People’s attitudes however…

It’s the mix of all together… same, may even harder battlegrounds in German forums like wetterzentrale. Compared to netweather, wz is a warzone combined with a pool full of sharks…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

To be fair,if that's the worst case scenario the models can throw at us I'll take it with open arms.What a ridiculously magnificent Northern hemispheric profile.

We will develop our own cold pool as this unfolds and then you can shelve the borderline 850 debate.

But hey that's my take,,👍

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Surely the right thing to do is that when a model favours us coldies they're the best in the world whereas when they don't they just don't exist anymore 🤣

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

But if I post a chart of the CURRENT run that should be a given.

I’m not here to specifically spoon feed beginners. I’ve been here for 12 years on this forum, my post style has never changed.

But it isn’t a given for many. I’m not going to argue and I know what you meant and mean but many don’t. I think it’s great that we have a lot of people who are interested but not as knowledgeable as others and I just think that it’s important to be clear when analysing individual runs. 

• Like 5

Posted

The way I look at it,after some stonking charts there's going to be some downgrades. 

It's a cracking nh profile for the start of winter and more often than not,suprises pop up when the cold is in.

• Like 7