Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
13 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Bit of an underwhelming cold spell so far. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice having sunshine and frost but with all the hype at the beginning of the month it’s turned out quite forgettable.

Didn’t someone comment ‘will December 2022 end 56 and 12 years of hurt?’ about a week ago? I guess not lmao.

It’s the coldest winter period we’ve had for over 10 years - hardly forgettable! 

What else do you expect for seasonal weather in the UK? 3’ foot of snow, frozen lakes and migrating polar bears??? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Freezing rain/sleet has now changed to pretty large snowflakes here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
36 minutes ago, Beanz said:

It’s the coldest winter period we’ve had for over 10 years - hardly forgettable! 

What else do you expect for seasonal weather in the UK? 3’ foot of snow, frozen lakes and migrating polar bears??? 

Except when it's raining 😆

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It’s pathetic seeing the BBC snow/rain graphics for right now and later this afternoon vs what is actually happening. 

I know that these forecasts are based off latest model runs which may be inaccurate, but why don’t they adjust them manually to take account of what is actually falling out of the sky? 

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Woman, Adult, Female, Person, Shoreline, Coast

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by danm
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

It's currently zero in Lincoln. We're in our home grown cold pool right now. The only time it has risen to the dizzy heights of 1 or 2C is under cloud cover, or an import of Irish Sea air. Back down to -5 and below tonight where its cleared again.

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Latest pic from friends in Cirencester, think they got a few inches in the end!

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Vegetation, Nature, Outdoors, Woodland, Ice, Weather, Snow, Scenery

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
1 hour ago, Don said:

Wasn't this cold spell suppose to end this weekend originally, then mid next week and now next weekend?!  

Mild chasers on NW… 😉

• Like 5

Posted

It does seem like all models have massively underestimated this PPN & the extent of it, 

closely watching the radar as it pushes N/E - 

areas like

- Essex

- Kent

-Sussex

- surrey

- possibly London,

all look in a firing line - maybe 2-5cm expected here, maybe 10-20cm on higher ground ofc

we will see how far west this could push and how heavy this PPN stays as it pushes N/E👀

Just now, Updated_Weather said:

It does seem like all models have massively underestimated this PPN & the extent of it, 

areas like

- Essex

- Kent

-Sussex

- surrey

- possibly London,

all look in a firing line - maybe 2-5cm expected here, maybe 10-20cm on higher ground ofc

we will see how far west this could push and how heavy this PPN stays as it pushes N/E👀

As I say this,

MetO increase the likelihood and bring the time forward👀

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

areas like

- Essex

- Kent

-Sussex

- surrey

- possibly London,

As I say this,

MetO increase the likelihood and bring the time forward👀

Proper snowing here in Uckfield. Road is white already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Trouble is this bloody ice and snow has cancelled meetings with people I had today and tomorrow FGS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Beanz said:

How about any snow at all? Because most of us have had none whatsoever. 

Personally I’m fine with sunny, frosty weather but don’t act like expecting snow during a cold spell is unreasonable. We had snow last December with far milder temperatures. Heck, we even had snow in November last year. 

The Feb/March 2018 spell was colder and snowier than this spell as well. It might be the coldest December weather in 10 years but certainly not the coldest winter spell in general.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

How about any snow at all? Because most of us have had none whatsoever. 

Personally I’m fine with sunny, frosty weather but don’t act like expecting snow during a cold spell is unreasonable. We had snow last December with far milder temperatures. Heck, we even had snow in November last year. 

The Feb/March 2018 spell was colder and snowier than this spell as well. It might be the coldest December weather in 10 years but certainly not the coldest winter spell in general.

I don’t think there is anything unreasonable about hoping for snow, I do myself! 

But, I don’t think the only memorable weather or typical winter weather needs snow.  I was literally just chatting with my dad on the phone, his comment was he doesn’t recall ever seeing the trees so heavy with frost - so I’d say that makes it memorable 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

That spell was very impressive obviously, but with that being said it was really only 3-4 days of proper cold, and the CET records has 5 days below 0c (and one of those literally only just at -0.1c) from that entire period. From this spell we are already at 3 such days, today will 100% be number 4, and with how low the mins are expected to be we are probably going to be in double figures by the end of this cold spell, or at least very close.

You'll probably have to go back to Jan 2013 to find a similar length of cold spell as this one is likely to be. Feb 2012 had a similar spell as well.

Anyways down here we've had a cracking ice day, and without any snow cover. That in itself is fairly rare, I can't remember too many legitimate ice days without snow cover in this neck of the woods, we normally manage to get at least into the 0.x range.

• Like 2

Posted

6 hours of heavy rain predicted here by the Met for this evening. Wow let me know when this “cold spell” starts. Any mention of a warm up and il be dusting the BBQ down. May as well have a raging Atlantic onslaught as the result would be the same… rain and a bit chilly at night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

We managed a ground frost, car temp gauge said -1 and all we had was cold rain, not even any sleet....I don't bloody believe it!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Only the UK can get raging Southwesterlies from a completely dead Atlantic. Would be the perfect send off to 2022 after having a once in a decade 10-day December cold spell result in near zero snow for my area.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
13 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Only the UK can get raging Southwesterlies from a completely dead Atlantic. Would be the perfect send off to 2022 after having a once in a decade 10-day December cold spell result in near zero snow for my area.

Yeah, we need the jet to fire up to move a fat slow moving LP - how ironic.😄😭

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Absolutely gorgeous day here. Hoar frost coated everything, bright sunshine and not a breath of wind. Beautiful: you’d have to have no soul not to appreciate it. 🙂
Anyway, I can’t vouch for this guy, but Ant Masiello retweeted him, so…

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1