IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

1st March to April 30th, best chance for N'ly/E'lys bringing snow

May normally NE'ly too, but too late for low levels

Posted
2 hours ago, Vikos said:

Can someone please tell me the rules when you can officially call the winter dead/gone?

For winter 2022/23 it was over on the 18th December! ☹️

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst since the 18th we have by and large away from Scotland been in a locked in mild SW flow, the jet has hardly been on turbo charge, and the lack of storms has been notable, just sensing we have endured the most mild period of the winter, and from here on colder episodes will be more likely, not saying we are destined for anything long lasting, but typically second half of winter tends to be quieter than first half atlantic wise and chance of cold increases.  Statistically the coldest period of the year is mid Jan to mid Feb.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
16 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Whilst since the 18th we have by and large away from Scotland been in a locked in mild SW flow, the jet has hardly been on turbo charge, and the lack of storms has been notable, just sensing we have endured the most mild period of the winter, and from here on colder episodes will be more likely, not saying we are destined for anything long lasting, but typically second half of winter tends to be quieter than first half atlantic wise and chance of cold increases.  Statistically the coldest period of the year is mid Jan to mid Feb.

Mid Jan to Mid Feb is normally raging Atlantic, find coldest/quietest Atlantic is late Feb to late Apr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

For me a raging Atlantic would probably be more interesting than what we've ended up with. At least it might have brought something more interesting even if it's not what I'd really want. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, Vikos said:

Can someone please tell me the rules when you can officially call the winter dead/gone?

Not while the models are changing the pattern, let's hope it continues in the 00z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

I was wondering with all this talk of bills what would be the best weather set up to reduce energy bills? I would guess a anticyclonic southerly/south-easterly as SWlies do bring dampness which offsets the warmer temps somehow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

I was wondering with all this talk of bills what would be the best weather set up to reduce energy bills? I would guess a anticyclonic southerly/south-easterly as SWlies do bring dampness which offsets the warmer temps somehow. 

Warm weather 😉

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

The energy crisis is why I'm surprised it got mild now, I was thinking bad luck this year was the weather to be freezing cold.  This warmth is actually good luck for many struggling families. The cold will come back though, and probably sooner than we think.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

1st March to April 30th, best chance for N'ly/E'lys bringing snow

The stats for April over the last 20 years doesn't really back that up. Cold Aprils have been as rare as hen's teeth, with numerous warm Aprils including record breaking ones. 

The first April to be at least 1.0C below its 1961-90 average since the average came into existence didn't occur until 2021

Snowless Aprils since 2000:- 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015,2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

All those years given above, I saw snow during February even the godawful "winter" of 2013-14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
13 hours ago, matt111 said:

For me a raging Atlantic would probably be more interesting than what we've ended up with. At least it might have brought something more interesting even if it's not what I'd really want. 

I agree. This current weather pattern is getting boring now as there is very little of anything of interest happening. Seeing as snow is out of the question for the time being, at least give us a good storm or something.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

The energy crisis is why I'm surprised it got mild now, I was thinking bad luck this year was the weather to be freezing cold.  This warmth is actually good luck for many struggling families. The cold will come back though, and probably sooner than we think.

It’s bitterly cold in Latvia now. -11 by day and down to the -15 or lower by night. 

If the wind could swing back to the east, I’m sure we would pick up some very cold air.

Still think a cold snap is on the way at some point between now and mid February.

11 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I agree. This current weather pattern is getting boring now as there is very little of anything of interest happening. Seeing as snow is out of the question for the time being, at least give us a good storm or something.

Or cold and sunny would be good.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

no thanks, storms can stay away at this time of year

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
54 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Or cold and sunny would be good.

If we can’t have snow I’d take that. At least it would be more interesting from a temperature point of view and would actually allow things to dry out which hasn’t really happened at all in the last few weeks. Everything’s so damp and never has a chance to dry out before the next lot of rain arrives, also the fact there been hardly any sun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes although a storm wouldn’t help dry things out it would be far more interesting than standard rain, rain and more rain. Also usually we do get at least some sunny weather in between and occasionally things do turn colder, albeit briefly, when these storms pass through. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

The stats for April over the last 20 years doesn't really back that up. Cold Aprils have been as rare as hen's teeth, with numerous warm Aprils including record breaking ones. 

The first April to be at least 1.0C below its 1961-90 average since the average came into existence didn't occur until 2021

Snowless Aprils since 2000:- 2002, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015,2017, 2019, 2020, 2022

All those years given above, I saw snow during February even the godawful "winter" of 2013-14

Yes, the snowy March/April thing is nonsense. Here we haven't had any lying snow since 2008 during April. March has only had lying snow during 2013 and 2018 in the same period.

Since 1989, March has only been more than 1C below average 5 times and April once.

In contrast, March has been 1C above average 15 times and April 11 times in that period.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Was about time, but something more interesting in the last 5 minutes; a squally torrential downpour of rain and hail with very strong winds just blasted through. Went absolutely mental for a few minutes but has calmed down (just fairly heavy rain and less-strong winds now).

• Like 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Was about time, but something more interesting in the last 5 minutes; a squally torrential downpour of rain and hail with very strong winds just blasted through. Went absolutely mental for a few minutes but has calmed down (just fairly heavy rain and less-strong winds now).

It's something I guess. Better than here although it has got quite windy at times today. 

Posted
58 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Probably the cold front, or has that been through already?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
29 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Probably the cold front, or has that been through already?

I think that went through earlier today (lead to some brighter skies for a time once the heavy rain cleared). Must have been from this little squall line from this showery area of precipitation later this afternoon.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Thanks 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, DOdo said:

Get a Grip of yourself

Ok, winter will be over on the 1st March! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

I think that went through earlier today (lead to some brighter skies for a time once the heavy rain cleared). Must have been from this little squall line from this showery area of precipitation later this afternoon.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

Yes, we had a tropical downpour and wind at Crewe Alexandra at about 4.30pm this afternoon. Quite the most interesting thing that happened all afternoon, I have to say!

• Like 1