Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

A depressingly dark and dreary morning (how many of those have we seen since Xmas?! ☔😕) rain easing around dawn here. Colder weather incoming later tomorrow with frosts Monday night onwards but sleet & snow chances seem to have been reduced reading between the lines of the MO forecasts - still a chance of seeing the falling white stuff for all next week but a covering is reliant on an organised band of showers & or a short notice feature such as the one that gave London & the SE a few cm back at the start of the Dec cold spell. 

One to watch also is the small chance of the colder weather hanging around longer than currently forecast with the cold easing perhaps into a faux cold scenario before eyes turn East into Feb. No guarantees though. 
Regardless of the weather have a good weekend all 😊 
❄️🥶🤞 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Text, Person, Man, Adult, Male

A cold Feb in the offing, at least a good cold blast at some point looks possible.

A Feb 1991 style blast please, powder snow 😃

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

A cold Feb in the offing, at least a good cold blast at some point looks possible.

A Feb 1991 style blast please, powder snow 😃

Hopefully 🙏❄️🥶 

Hopefully early - mid Feb too so it has extra bite. 

How good a spell was Feb 91 for the NW as a lot of the historical pictures, memories etc... seem to paint it as a London & SE / East Anglia focused spell in terms of snow at least? 

• Like 6

Posted
16 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Hopefully 🙏❄️🥶 

Hopefully early - mid Feb too so it has extra bite. 

How good a spell was Feb 91 for the NW as a lot of the historical pictures, memories etc... seem to paint it as a London & SE / East Anglia focused spell in terms of snow at least? 

It was actually very good here mate on the 7th & 8th, 4-6 inches of powder snow, schools where closed here, I was 13. I'll dig some charts out for you.....

Have a gander at this...

721991.png?w=640
WANSTEADMETEO.COM

The cold spell of February 1991 saw unusually deep snowfall in central London. The 20cm recorded at St James's Park on the 8th was the greatest cover recorded at the site since the severe winter of 1962/63...

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Sounds great ❄️🥶 - I was interested as the NW can sometimes get the short straw depending on the nature of the Beast from the East (Feb 09 although technically not a BFTE was a bit underwhelming for some in the NW compared to further SE for example)

I was born in 1994 so first very vague snow memories start only around Feb 96 haha 😆 👶🏻 ❄️ 

Could contain: Coat, Jacket, Cap, Hat, Portrait, Photography, Person, Child, Boy, Male

Nice pic lol.

There was a more general area of snow that moved in, affecting more southern parts of the region especially, however, I can only vouch for here.

Could contain: Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person, Rainforest

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Grim start to the day though clearance showed up pretty quick as for snow I’ll wait to I see it falling 🙂

• Like 7

Posted
49 minutes ago, Frigid said:

UKV showing potential for some snowfall on Monday.. could do well in the region

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water, Map

Earlier this morning, meto weather app was showing dry from when it gets cold, until it starts to warm up on Friday, when the taps magically open again.  Typical I was thinking!  However a quick look at some charts does suggest a couple of little "disturbances" sinking south (Sunday night and Monday night)  with a light westerly drift ahead into cold air, and then winds veering Northerly after.   

Enough to suggest Sunday night to Tuesday morning are unlikely to be totally dry across the region.  With an onshore westerly drift marginality will clearly be an issue (light wind over-riding surface cold is our ideal here, and likely better E of M6 with a little elevation etc).  There is unlikely to be sufficient 'surface cold' ahead of any feature on Sunday night, so potential frustration until cold air starts undercutting from the North later.  Tuesday night more conducive to snow, but seems a much weaker signal for any precipitation.

@Kasim Awan  Looking forward to your thoughts, your analysis of the short-term stuff in December was really good.

Edited by Maz
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

5.9c here in Glossopia.. rain.. cloud.. wind.. rinse and repeat..

Not much hope on seeing anything of interest within the upcoming week.. let’s hope I’m wrong..

Least is derby day although I don’t support either of them (Madrid fan 😉)..let’s have it

• Like 7

Posted

JFF, but that's one hell of a block building, if it's to be believed that is...

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Graphics, Pattern, Accessories

Surely would only get colder from there with much colder uppers filtering around the southern flank.

Anyway, pie in the sky for now.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 7

Posted

Forecasts for Peak District looking noticeably more wintry than some model output this morning is indicating… also troughs in the flow may bring some surprises ❄️❄️❄️❄️

view-of-the-peak-district.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The Peak District is home to a wide variety of magnificent hills, moors, outcrops and gritstone edges.
WWW.MWIS.ORG.UK

https://www.mwis.org.uk/assets/forecasts/pd-mwi-wm13264_2023-01-14_073807_8074.pdf

Also Come on City ⚽⚽⚽⚽️ 

Thick fog this morning here in La Ville Dieu du Temple… suns just broken through… just made brunch of croissants 🥐 and poached eggs… also just found out why everyone here says “up” under their breath after they’ve completed a task …. Allez up 🙈🙈 every day is a school day 😂🤣

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Sunny and breezy here in Doncaster Station. 

Car got jet washed with all the flooded roads on the way.

Cant make head nor tail of the snow probabilities.  Anyone care to enlighten me.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Some of the Hi res models now picking up on some wintry potential this from the Harmonie model(never heard of it)but something very similar to UKV which @Rush2112posted earlier.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

• Like 4

Posted

A cold blustery day in the offing, showers on and off, fairly brief, before a general area of rain with sleet and snow on high ground arrives later today.

I'm not speculating on low level snow chances, always a now cast in these set ups, anywhere could see some. Most notable change is the return of widespread frost and low daytime maxes after 4 weeks with very little cold weather. Its comparable to the change to cold mid Jan, correlates with events in winter 2012/2013, we had a cold first half to Dec, followed by 4 weeks of persistantly very mild wet atlantic gunk, then 2 weeks of cold snowy weather (the upcoming spell looking much shorter lived and less cold, but the early-mid Dec cold was colder than 2012), winter 12/13 had a SSW in Jan, and we then had a cold often wintry Feb and very cold wintry March...

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Nature, Outdoors, Plant

Arpege doesn’t have the snow reaching us 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Wild out fast moving cells and increasingly cold 🥶 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

It’s bitter out in that wind. Icy raon

Now hailstoning

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
4 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Nice pic lol.

There was a more general area of snow that moved in, affecting more southern parts of the region especially, however, I can only vouch for here.

Could contain: Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person, Rainforest

The deepest snow I have seen away from the mountains was during Feb 1991. I was in the midlands at the time, had several inches falling over a couple of days and yes, proper powder snow.

• Like 6

Posted

Not the greatest weather to be out in the Peak District at 9am this morning, enduring persistent drizzle with low-cloud at times, but having had a heads-up on youtube about the Ladybower Plughole & Howden Dam overspilling it was too good not to miss. I've seen both 'trickling' with water but never as much as today and given how full the car-parks and paths were it seems a few other folk also had the same idea.

Pictures just don't do it justice in seeing how much 'energy' is being put into and out of the Derwent Reservoirs currently, when the road is quiet you can hear the roar of the escaping water echo'ing amongst the hills.

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Not the greatest weather to be out in the Peak District at 9am this morning, enduring persistent drizzle with low-cloud at times, but having had a heads-up on youtube about the Ladybower Plughole & Howden Dam overspilling it was too good not to miss. I've seen both 'trickling' with water but never as much as today and given how full the car-parks and paths were it seems a few other folk also had the same idea.

Pictures just don't do it justice in seeing how much 'energy' is being put into and out of the Derwent Reservoirs currently, when the road is quiet you can hear the roar of the escaping water echo'ing amongst the hills.

Looks quite full after the last months rainfall…. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Looks quite full after the last months rainfall…. 

Michael from Buxtonweather mentioned a fun fact on his FB Page today, that it's rained (light & heavy) here in the Peak District and around Buxton every-day for the past 30 days 😮 but we won't start to worry until that figure turns to 40 days and 40 nights. 😄 The ground certainly seems saturated especially when looking at the inlets into the upper-Derwent Reservoirs which are in full-spate, aswell as spotting (by eye) substantial river channels flowing off the surrounding hills. Hopefully after all this rain & clag we'll at least get some wintryness into the mix over the next few days.

• Like 4