Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Not convinced that I’ll see lying snow from that wrap around by dawn.

Think you might need to be higher up in these marginal events. What are you about 20m?

Even here bang on 100m it's been poor up to now just wet snow. Maybe that'll change later as colder air drops down again lowering the snow line. Either way it's a horrendous night out there blowing a hooley.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yes

• Like 3

Posted

Any word on what effect (if any) the colder air being brought back-in will/might have over the Irish Sea, i'm thinking in the lines of convective initiation between the warm'ish SSTs and those mid-layers wrapping around the LP from the north intensifying PPN as it comes onshore.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Night all, snow watching is tiring.

• Like 3

Posted

Better late than never I guess, first evening walk in the snow of the season.. and I only managed one last season on the 2 Dec or thereabouts, such has been the paucity of snow in the last 2 years.

It is bitter out there, the wind is cutting.. the snow continues but it is very fine stuff and light - snow accumulations are minimal a general cm cover, with some mini-drfiting.

Its interesting to note how some cars have more snow on them by others - I often wonder why, possibly those that have been in non-action longer, but I wonder whether some have in-built heating.. Snow cover is an excellent lesson in insulation, surfaces that see cover first are poor insulators - includes glass, metal, grass... 

Current temp is 0.1 degrees, we may go below freezing by dawn, ice will be a major hazard first thing. I'd love to think we will wake up to inches of snow, but I suspect a couple at best probably absolutely max, and wouldn't be surprised if yet again we see a 2cm dusting - the wait for a decent snowfall goes on.. I'll be heading out into the countryside and fells near by in the morning to get a snow fix.

• Like 5

Posted

A lot more snow than I was expecting from some of the forecasts. It’s looking like continuing for a few hours yet as well.I’ve just seen a snow plough going around the estate!

• Like 5

Posted

Begrudgingly given up on any prospect of lying snow here tomorrow morning. Surfaces are drenched after hours of cold rain barely turning to sleet now. Not likely to dip below freezing long enough for even ice to be a problem.

Hard to believe that places just up the road are getting proper snowfall!

• Like 2

Posted

Just walked through town, good grief.

Freezing easterly wind, heavy snow. Still not settling but trying its best. 

Really, really grim. 

2 minutes ago, ry_mcr said:

Begrudgingly given up on any prospect of lying snow here tomorrow morning. Surfaces are drenched after hours of cold rain barely turning to sleet now. Not likely to dip below freezing long enough for even ice to be a problem.

Hard to believe that places just up the road are getting proper snowfall!

I have just walked from the gay village to Salford and can confirm it is snow, definitely not sleet. Heavy too. Just too wet to settle. Freezing wind too. 

Sadly there were no Ubers available. 

• Like 8

Posted

Can’t imagine how bleak it is up in the hills now if it’s like this in town. Horrendous. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Just walked through town, good grief.

Freezing easterly wind, heavy snow. Still not settling but trying its best. 

Really, really grim. 

I have just walked from the gay village to Salford and can confirm it is snow, definitely not sleet. Heavy too. Just too wet to settle. Freezing wind too. 

Sadly there were no Ubers available. 

Just got off the tram at Cornbrook which is miserable at the best of times but this wind is properly bitter!

I live just around the corner and it’s more like wet snow now, freezing level dropping quite rapidly? Still, it would take a lot for anything to settle. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Interesting to note that Flintshire in NE Wales has decided to shut all council schools tomorrow 10th March (Sky News) probably in response to the Amber warning they have there. The proper snow seems so close yet so far currently holding out a little bit of hope for something in the early hours into early morning tomorrow but intensity will be key. Just a covering would do me! ❄️😄

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, ry_mcr said:

Just got off the tram at Cornbrook which is miserable at the best of times but this wind is properly bitter!

I live just around the corner and it’s more like wet snow now, freezing level dropping quite rapidly? Still, it would take a lot for anything to settle. 

There is something especially grim about Cornbrook tram stop. It has to be one of the windiest places in the NW. 😂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Starting to settle here a bit. Temp dropping to bang on 0c. Encouraging.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Can’t imagine how bleak it is up in the hills now if it’s like this in town. Horrendous. 

This is how it looks here from the front window (facing East), consistent gales have been forcing cold air through the window-panes along with snow covering the windows, barely any visibility 1/2 mile across the other side of town and a good covering of snow all over. Lovely.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Snow, Winter, Texture

• Like 5

Posted

Really coming down out there… icicles forming… proper wintry evening… maybe wake up to narnia… one side of the garden at least with this wind blowing snow about… 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

This is how it looks here from the front window (facing East), consistent gales have been forcing cold air through the window-panes along with snow covering the windows, barely any visibility 1/2 mile across the other side of town and a good covering of snow all over. Lovely.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Snow, Winter, Texture

Amazing! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Interesting to note that Flintshire in NE Wales has decided to shut all council schools tomorrow 10th March (Sky News) probably in response to the Amber warning they have there. The proper snow seems so close yet so far currently holding out a little bit of hope for something in the early hours into early morning tomorrow but intensity will be key. Just a covering would do me! ❄️😄

Yep an inch of lying snow would do me.

• Like 4

Posted

Little update here, the snow has definitely turned drier here as it's sticking on cars and threatening to stick on the paths aswell so maybe the colder air is making its presence felt.

The radar is showing signs of what the Met and the models were predicting though for the region, PPN is looking light on this side of the Pennines apart from Cumbria and for now north Lancs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Still in the dry spot. 

Going bed ☹️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

No sooner had i written this off, it starts  coming down..sticking on grass bins cars and pavement ..not passed the acid test yet though of sticking on the road outside work.

• Like 3