Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
13 hours ago, damianslaw said:

In a couple of weeks time and this late winter slumber state will be quickly replaced by a full Spring state of mind, and all steam ahead (yes April can deliver snow and cold, but never feels like winter).

In my lifetime the April's containing wintry conditions that come to mind for me as far as the NW goes are

2021 (recent one so I'm sure a lot will remember this) -
2016, which featured the latest snow event into the year I've seen, 29th April
2012, early April - some of the snow totals above 200m or so in my area were pretty balmy for the time of year in this one including drifts
2008, cold with some snow early in the month although I think most of the snow (unusually for the time of year) fell down south
2006, around 7th-9th frequent wintry showers in the North bringing accumulations for some (M62 closed for a short time)
2005, a late snap in this one as we had snow on the 16th

All of the above are usually blink and you'll miss it type cold snaps especially as lying snow often melts by lunchtime at this time of year but there have been some notable ones. 

I love the month to be honest because in contrast to the above we've seen some that are so pleasant to sit outside in in t-shirt and shorts. 2007. 2011. 2020 etc. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I don't think I've ever seen lying snow in April before personally. Falling snow occasionally but never lying.

What seems to have changed for tonight from a few days ago is the temperature gradient is much less dramatic. Cold air comes in more gradually and by the time it comes in the precip has nearly past and it's never as heavy as it was shown before as a result.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Ice will be a problem tonight but > 5 miles from the coast only. 

• Like 2

Posted

A stinker of a day in Buxton despite it being relatively mild at 9'c, the +40mph gales and persistent rain has made it feel grim despite wearing all-waterproofs for a brief jaunt around the stores. At least I got to see some snow again in the form of muddy patches along the roadside and fields surrounding Dove Holes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Granted we had the added height above sea level here but this is 23rd April 2017 at about 250m. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Plant, Vegetation

• Like 4

Posted

No shadow/shield/dome today over our parts....because of course it's a mild wet conveyor belt being delivered on a south westerly airstream without any south east wind ahead of it.  If anything its invigorating itself in the upslopes of western hills.  I'm part of that collective when it rains, but not when it snows.  At times heavy rain, in between non-stop drizzle, being thrown at your face with a strong gusty wind.  Foul.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well after the Thursday / Friday snowathon, we now have the rainathon.

Horrid today but some interest in the showery scene tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted

Just thinking about the amounts today.  Hope we get the same tomorrow in snow. 

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Pretty miserable day he though just had a laugh as wife picked the rod stewart track on greatest hits radio 10 minutes ago 😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 hours ago, James M said:

Granted we had the added height above sea level here but this is 23rd April 2017 at about 250m. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Plant, Vegetation

We’ve had lying snow in June.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Well after the Thursday / Friday snowathon, we now have the rainathon.

Horrid today but some interest in the showery scene tomorrow.

I think plenty of areas will see some fairly hefty wintry showers tomorrow it has that sort of feel to it whereby even though it may be 3-5'C widely I think heavier showers may produce some big wet flakes. 

Nothing too notable though in terms of the accumulations - but some areas if you're very lucky a big heavy shower for 10-20 mins for example may give a temporary coating until it moves on and thaws. 

But I do think tomorrow's showers across the region will be more wintry/sleet/snow rather than just boring plain old rain. These types of northerly shots in Spring has that type of feel to it. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I think plenty of areas will see some fairly hefty wintry showers tomorrow it has that sort of feel to it whereby even though it may be 3-5'C widely I think heavier showers may produce some big wet flakes. 

Nothing too notable though in terms of the accumulations - but some areas if you're very lucky a big heavy shower for 10-20 mins for example may give a temporary coating until it moves on and thaws. 

But I do think tomorrow's showers across the region will be more wintry/sleet/snow rather than just boring plain old rain. These types of northerly shots in Spring has that type of feel to it. 

Sadly looks like to me tomorrow has gone from a potential sunshine and shower set up towards a more organised area of PPN which is non convective and because the NW'ly flow is no longer straight lined(look at all the kinks in the isobars!) The -8hpa fails to reach us which would make snow precip alot more likely. Usually kinks in the isobars can be a good thing but at this time of year and the flow not being the strongest, it could prove to be a negative for snowfall which would sums things up for the north west.

Roll on summer!

• Like 3

Posted

Reports of a 'mini tornado'.. yes I hate THAT word too 😛 causing localised damage in Great Hucklow (Derbyshire) some-time during this late morning, I didn't think it was convective enough as my first thoughts were straight-line windspeeds, but the damage pattern says otherwise.

Could contain: Countryside, Hut, Nature, Outdoors, Rural, City, Street, Shelter, Shack, TruckCould contain: Plant, Tree, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

• Like 8

Posted
5 hours ago, Chris.R said:

I don't think I've ever seen lying snow in April before personally. Falling snow occasionally but never lying.

What seems to have changed for tonight from a few days ago is the temperature gradient is much less dramatic. Cold air comes in more gradually and by the time it comes in the precip has nearly past and it's never as heavy as it was shown before as a result.

I remember a morning in the 90's in April when there was a good 3 inches in Manc. 3 inches is good for January never mind April. Not been able to fund any details but imagine a northerly or northe westerly with. Def no shadow. Blooming shadow!!!

• Like 2

Posted

And for tea tonight.....

Chicken-cinnamon-and-sweet-tomato-orzo.j
SATURDAYKITCHENRECIPES.COM

By Georgina Hayden From Saturday Kitchen Ingredients 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling 2 onions, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely...

Could contain: Plate, Food

Never looks like it does on telly

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

And for tea tonight.....

Chicken-cinnamon-and-sweet-tomato-orzo.j
SATURDAYKITCHENRECIPES.COM

By Georgina Hayden From Saturday Kitchen Ingredients 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling 2 onions, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely...

Could contain: Plate, Food

Never looks like it does on telly

Honey, banana shallots and lettuce for a greek salad? 

• Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I remember a morning in the 90's in April when there was a good 3 inches in Manc. 3 inches is good for January never mind April. Not been able to fund any details but imagine a northerly or northe westerly with. Def no shadow. Blooming shadow!!!

There were 2 mornings on the trot with lying snow in April in maybe 1994 or 1995 in West Cumbria. Almost t shirt weather for the afternoon of both days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can’t show you mine I’ve eaten it 😂

Currently peeing it down

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Sounds like mid April 1998. 

Easter 1998 was wintry, saw falling snow on every day of the Easter weekend and Easter Monday night, heavy snow showers moved in from the Irish that evening and left a covering. Next day, a small low became slow moving around the south of the region and wet snow fell in the afternoon which got heavier and heavier after dusk. Left quite  a covering.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Sounds like mid April 1998. 

Easter 1998 was wintry, saw falling snow on every day of the Easter weekend and Easter Monday night, heavy snow showers moved in from the Irish that evening and left a covering. Next day, a small low became slow moving around the south of the region and wet snow fell in the afternoon which got heavier and heavier after dusk. Left quite  a covering.

That'll be it. I'd moved back to my mum and dad's before moving to a new house and remember my dad shouting up the stairs that it had snowed

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

A real rash of wintry showers tomorrow afternoon rattling through.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

I think even I'll be ready for some spring warmth after tomorrow, just not sure the weather agrees...

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Pattern, Outdoors, Modern Art, Nature

• Like 1