Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Absolutely chucked it down this morning here, then we had a dry slot and now the main belt of rain has just arrived. Looks like setting in for a good few hours. Once again our region in the beeline for a soaking. ☹️

• Like 7

Posted

Rain just started… 14c… was 19c in sunshine ☀️ earlier… just made pork chops with a plum and citrus sauce ( James Martin from recipe on tv series he was in Valencia) and nice crispy roast potatoes 😋 

going to get a bit wet walking to crystal ballroom in 45 minutes for monthly end of month comedy night…  

May least this weekend has been mostly useable compared to the last one… 

Could contain:

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 9

Posted
22 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Picked half our plum trees… and made lamb bhuna and homemade chapatis for tea… just sieving chicken stock that’s been bubbling away all day since 8am…

been fairly decent day…21c and some sunshine between showers or cloudier periods… 

off to see the sinha man, Supriya Kumar "Paul" Sinha, among other comedians, at Crystal ballroom in glossop tomorrow evening…. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Plums look good.  Have they ripened extra early?  What variety?    I've been picking blackberries for the last 3 days.  Really big in the snug sunny places. Never picked in July before. Normally pick mid Aug onwards. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Neither my tomatoes or plums will ripen, we have not had a decent sunny day with warmth for weeks(Northants), my Mums tomatoes, raspberries and everything else is producing masses.(Blackpool). I've brought a large box of tomatoes home with my as Mum is struggling to use them all.

• Like 8

Posted

Rain has certainly set in here and dark and dismal for the time of year.

In the 7-day forecast on Countryfile this evening, the suggestion was made that next weekend could be wet and windy. Now where have we heard that one before in recent times?! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Folks, 

I’m currently working for Contact Renewables and Solar.

https://solar-installers.co.uk

If you or any friends or family are thinking of adding a solar array to your house let me know and I can sort a free survey and quote.  We also fit to commercial properties. Any of you guys get me a big commercial contract from wherever you work there’s a good chance I could fit a £10,000 system on your house for free. 

GFS 216hrs please be right 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 6

Posted

It's looking positively delightful outside today waking up to grey-skies with more rain on the way for the week ahead 😄 (trying reverse psychology tactics on the weather.) In all fairness there is a hint of some convective potential for Wednesday that might produce a few lightning storms depending on the pivot-axis of the passing low down to the south, other than that it's the usual cloudy borefest to look forward to.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yep, look out of the widow 🙄💦🦆🦆🦆💧💧💧💧💧.

Another miserable Monday morning. 

• Like 7

Posted

Not dry here, we've had a pesky narrow band of rain ribboning over the area since early this morning.  It's easing off a bit now but I was hoping we'd have at least a dry spell before the rain gathers again this afternoon/early evening.  It's all a bit drizzly.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Keep an eye on this evening. Quite a bit of CAPE. WRF breaking out a lot of convective precip amongst the dynamic. Most instability I've seen for two weeks. Can we end July with something at least halfway decent?

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 7

Posted

22.4 mm measured this morning for previous 24hrs.   July total currently 312.6 mm and another day to go.  This July is already the 7th wettest month since we started daily readings here for Met Office in 1968.     We've never had monthly totals over 300mm during April- August before,   So this is extraordinary.

Countryside and garden in an appalling mess.     Is anyone managing to grow and harvest any food crops?

• Like 8

Posted
16 hours ago, Rain Lady said:

Plums look good.  Have they ripened extra early?  What variety?    I've been picking blackberries for the last 3 days.  Really big in the snug sunny places. Never picked in July before. Normally pick mid Aug onwards. 

Think they are Victoria plums? Yes they’re early this year… apples and pears are early this year too… not fully ripened yet but should be ready in the next few weeks… think decent dry sunny weather in May & June May have helped… 

22 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

22.4 mm measured this morning for previous 24hrs.   July total currently 312.6 mm and another day to go.  This July is already the 7th wettest month since we started daily readings here for Met Office in 1968.     We've never had monthly totals over 300mm during April- August before,   So this is extraordinary.

Countryside and garden in an appalling mess.     Is anyone managing to grow and harvest any food crops?

I’m on 240mm for the month… very wet July… 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'm on 214.4 mm for July. 127.2 mm in June. 14.7 mm in May 🤣😂

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Think they are Victoria plums? Yes they’re early this year… apples and pears are early this year too… not fully ripened yet but should be ready in the next few weeks… think decent dry sunny weather in May & June May have helped… 

I’m on 240mm for the month… very wet July… 

It seems that it's been equally horrendous up here too. Just registered 240mm here with 23 days on which rain has fallen. Looking at what's to come for the rest of the day, that total could exceed 250mm. Many places must be at 250 or 300% of the normal July rainfall. Extraordinarily wet, cool and cloudy for the entire month. Things can only get better. 

Could contain:

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, Rain Lady said:

I've had tons of blackberries and my raspberries are the best since I planted them in lockdown. They both love good moisture and aren't bothered by the temp. Early plums were ok but not very sweet. Victorias are just coming ripe. Most of my apples seem to be getting knocked off by the wind. Squirrels got my pears very early, I think they were looking for moisture when it was dry in May/June, remember that time?

Veg-wise courgettes are good this year, just pulled out a 2kg marrow I missed! Leeks are looking good, beans growing well but not fruiting yet.

Tomaties would like a bit more warmth I think but growing strongly.

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Keep an eye on this evening. Quite a bit of CAPE. WRF breaking out a lot of convective precip amongst the dynamic. Most instability I've seen for two weeks. Can we end July with something at least halfway decent?

Very heavy belt of rain just gone through here.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, alr1970 said:

.... and here. Rain has been continuous since 11.30am but has stepped up a gear in the last few minutes, suggesting that we may be in for something special as the afternoon wears on. And it is so dark and gloomy as well!  

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

Here too. I guess that was the cold front. Lapse rates start to steepen quickly from now on.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Yet another vile day. Surely August can deliver at least a few sunny warm days?. Doesn't have to be hot to be enjoyable!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Looks like my return from Greece is going to be met by exactly the same conditions as when I left,Yuk

Another blistering day here with a high of 36c

Thoroughly depressing having to come home to the dross you have endured,so to cheer myself up I have booked my vacation for 2024 until next year Greece cherio.And Yamos for the memories.

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 6