Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
6 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Looks like my return from Greece is going to be met by exactly the same conditions as when I left,Yuk

Another blistering day here with a high of 36c

Thoroughly depressing having to come home to the dross you have endured,so to cheer myself up I have booked my vacation for 2024 until next year Greece cherio.And Yamos for the memories.

I’m back on Wednesday,looks bloody depressing ,lol

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Keep an eye on this evening. Quite a bit of CAPE. WRF breaking out a lot of convective precip amongst the dynamic. Most instability I've seen for two weeks. Can we end July with something at least halfway decent?

All a matter of what is considered as halfway decent but given the poor conditions of the vast majority of July; anything less than wall to wall sunshine and temperatures in the mid twenties would be disappointing so I daren’t type any of the words to sum up what we’ve had today🤬

I do get where your coming from though👍

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
4 minutes ago, iand61 said:

All a matter of what is considered as halfway decent but given the poor conditions of the vast majority of July; anything less than wall to wall sunshine and temperatures in the mid twenties would be disappointing so I daren’t type any of the words to sum up what we’ve had today🤬

I do get where your coming from though👍

Remember I'm a extremes of  weather fan first and foremost so halfway decent for me is anything that isn't boring as well as decent in the normal sense.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Just now, Chris.R said:

Remember I'm an extremes of  weather fan first and foremost so halfway decent for me is anything that isn't boring as well as decent in the normal sense.

That’s why I covered my backside with the last sentence but it’s all a matter of personal opinion and although I like a decent storm myself, I’d prefer it to be a memorable one that ends a decent hot few days rather that an odd rumble of thunder during yet another day completely ruined by rain, not that we even got the odd rumble of thunder😫

hopefully we get a change to something more seasonal into August and then when I’ve had my few hot, sunny days I’ll be happy to see a good thunderstorm🤞

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Man Ap reporting hail shower.

• Like 7

Posted

Not sure the incoming rain band was very well forecast? Looks like a whole new trough has popped up.

• Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Not sure the incoming rain band was very well forecast? Looks like a whole new trough has popped up.

Aye there’s a few in the Mod thread not happy that todays forecast dry day didn’t work out as they wanted.

obviously there aren’t many shouting “southerly correction anyone” in summer.

• Like 6

Posted
27 minutes ago, Alexis said:

It's associated with a really sharp cold pool aloft. It is what creates the instability in the next few hours.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Aye there’s a few in the Mod thread not happy that todays forecast dry day didn’t work out as they wanted.

obviously there aren’t many shouting “southerly correction anyone” in summer.

And I bet most of them live in the midlands southwards where let's face it whilst it's not been great there it's been a hell of a lot worse in our region this month. Some areas of the NW have seen 3x the average rainfall.

• Like 5

Posted

That cartoon was drawn in 1936. Must have been like that at the seaside today.

• Like 6

Posted
16 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

That cartoon was drawn in 1936. Must have been like that at the seaside today.

It was rather choppy to say the least, another out of character day, quite getting used to this now 😄

• Like 7

Posted

244.4mm is 9.6 inches of rain this month… 

missed the showers this evening just to the north… might have exceeded 250mm if they’d of come over…. Forgettable month locally other than for rain & thunderstorms and cool temperatures 

• Like 7

Posted

I don't know if synoptically this set-up would be any good during the winter months but I can't help but think of all the snow potential resulting from northerlies we could have had if this was late January instead of July, hopefully there's at least some respite during August from now on when/if we get any clear spells. The cloud is manageable but the rain is beginning to overstay it's welcome. 

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, toggerobz said:

I don't know if synoptically this set-up would be any good during the winter months but I can't help but think of all the snow potential resulting from northerlies we could have had if this was late January instead of July, hopefully there's at least some respite during August from now on when/if we get any clear spells. The cloud is manageable but the rain is beginning to overstay it's welcome. 

It’s been an unusual, if grim set up for our region in that just about every system has had our name on it and add to that the fact that the conditions have persisted for several weeks and it’s been a summer to remember for all the wrong reasons.

Difficult so say whether the same set up would deliver in the depths of winter but given the sheer number of different wet weather events we’ve endured since late June, I’d be amazed if we didn’t get several snow days out of it and I’d imagine the higher hills would have been buried in the stuff at times.

One things for sure, it’s been a summer of two completely opposite weather types so far, hopefully the last third sees an improvement before time runs out.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Into the start of August now and a continuation of the theme we've got used to it seems. A cloudy start here with some showers. It might dry up later, but then it's back to prolonged heavy rainfall again tomorrow but the looks of it.

Not much hope on the horizon of a change to the pattern we're stuck in during the reliable timeframe.

• Like 6

Posted

... even on a day were nothing much is going on we get a patch of persistent drizzle just to keep the ground wet.  Sun is being very shy of late.  Tomorrow looking more lively... campers will be tested down south with the strong winds.

• Like 6

Posted

Utterly incredibly awful amount of rain in July.

Picked up 32.8 mm this morn -- so that's 345.4 mm for July

Far above the average of 110.3 mm

This July's total beaten only by 393.4 mm for Oct 2000 and 399.1 mm for Dec 2015.

Or looking at it another way -- this is the 3rd wettest month in the total of 647 months measured here since we started daily recording.

Previous max for July was 266.0 mm in 2020.   No months April- Aug have been above 266.0 mm until this July.

And it's still raining./ drizzling.  Vegetation looking bedraggled and autumnal.

• Like 8

Posted
41 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

This July's total beaten only by 393.4 mm for Oct 2000 and 399.1 mm for Dec 2015.

Or looking at it another way -- this is the 3rd wettest month in the total of 647 months measured here since we started daily recording.

Previous max for July was 266.0 mm in 2020.   No months April- Aug have been above 266.0 mm until this July.

And it's still raining./ drizzling.  Vegetation looking bedraggled and autumnal.

July has been a shockingly poor month. We got to 256mm for the month here. When you consider that the average annual total locally is 1200mm, that means that over 20% of the rain we expect for the year, fell in the peak summer month of July. When you add in low daytime temps and low sunshine amounts, it has to be one of the worst. Another grim day today. On what surely should be expected to be one of warmer days of the year, we've managed to get to a toasty 13.8c. A temperature not out of place in March or November. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Rain Lady said:

Heard a mention by TV forecasters that Preston area has had 3 times average amount of rain for July.  Environment Agency has a few automatics on watch   eg at Haighton Reservoir.   But of course those of us on western upslopes get even bigger quantities.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
3 hours ago, carl1980 said:

Just in that thunder storm warning for tomorrow 

Hopefully that thunderstorm warning will be so bad that I have to spend another day in paradise with all flights grounded,oh the ironey.

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 6