Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
34 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Yeah, likewise, going to be a tough day at work, a large coffee probably needed this morning to get through the day.

Yep, got up after my last post, on second coffee now, fed the birds in the darkness, the ground  was not overly wet so the shower couldn't have been much.  Walked through a couple of cobwebs, felt them stretch across my face.  Had a couple of daddy long legs in last night.  Loving these sunny warm days, I just seem to be getting less and less tolerant with warm nights.  As already stated, Saturday will be another sticky night but hopefully this time with some thundery entertainment.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
19 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Yep, got up after my last post, on second coffee now, fed the birds in the darkness, the ground  was not overly wet so the shower couldn't have been much.  Walked through a couple of cobwebs, felt them stretch across my face.  Had a couple of daddy long legs in last night.  Loving these sunny warm days, I just seem to be getting less and less tolerant with warm nights.  As already stated, Saturday will be another sticky night but hopefully this time with some thundery entertainment.

Yes, Saturday night looking to have decent potential for thundery activity. Nighttime definitely the best time for storms in my opinion, can see lightning from miles away as well. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Currently showing 19.8c on my outdoor sensor which is probably approaching a September overnight minimum record for my location.

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Currently showing 19.8c on my outdoor sensor which is probably approaching a September overnight minimum record for my location.

Yes, screenshot taken 6.30am, with Leek, Rhyl and Blackpool on there at 20°C or just above.

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted

Looks to have bottomed out at 18.1C here, certainly close to the warmest night of the year. Not sure if quite the warmest of the year, I'll need to check the data later on.

• Like 5

Posted

Much darker this morning compared to previous mornings with the cloudy skies, only just got properly light out.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

The modelling was actually quite good with the temperatures tonight...probably because we had a blanket of cloud which prevented the shallow inversion we've seen of recent nights. The cloudier it is the more humid and warmer it will be overnight now at this time of year.

What the models weren't as good at was modelling that pulse of rain that moved north through the west Midlands and into N England.

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up-looks like Leek (which is just outside the NW) didn't drop below 20C all night. Several places in Wales and the SW also remained above 20C. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Minimum was 19.7°C around midnight but it was just above 20°C for most of the night. Warmest night of the year. had quite a good sleep thanks to the AC; I feel for those that don't have it. A few light showers recently.

• Like 6

Posted
22 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Another nice day and now the holiday washing is done, my attention turns to the garden and the weedfest.

I'll keep my eye on the radar for the early hours and the slightest possibility of a storm.

Nice one, HW. Couldn't work out why it was so dark outside at 6.30am and then I looked out. Not a storm as such, but more than the MetO were forecasting last night. Can you take over and, whilst you are about it, let me have the winning lottery numbers for next Saturday please?

• Like 4

Posted

Low of 20.1c currently 23.5c humidity 60% 

heading to Marple and Stockport then going for nice walk along longdendale reservoir’s… 

off to see Alan Davies in Manchesterford tomorrow evening and Sarah Pascoe on Saturday should be good 👍 😄 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Expected maximums will be very wrong unless this cloud and rain clears soon. I'm not complaining though, need to cool down parts of the house without the AC.

Currently 20.6°C the same temperature it was in the early hours.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Echoing the thoughts of above, no chance 27/28C will be achieved today unless this cloud shifts. Surface winds are supposed to back E soon, wether that pushes the cloud with it we’ll see, but it’s all further east that forecast for sure. 

These showers were supposed to be over NI, not NW England 

Edit: oooo I shall check the low, wonder if we got a tropical night 

Verdict: no, 18.2C. Still impressive 

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 5

Posted
22 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Expected maximums will be very wrong unless this cloud and rain clears soon. I'm not complaining though, need to cool down parts of the house without the AC.

Currently 20.6°C the same temperature it was in the early hours.

19 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Echoing the thoughts of above, no chance 27/28C will be achieved today unless this cloud shifts. Surface winds are supposed to back E soon, wether that pushes the cloud with it we’ll see, but it’s all further east that forecast for sure. 

These showers were supposed to be over NI, not NW England 

Edit: oooo I shall check the low, wonder if we got a tropical night 

Verdict: no, 18.2C. Still impressive 

I think you might be surprised- full sunshine won't be needed to reach those sorts of values today IMO. In my area it's brighter now and the cloud is a lot higher. Some very warm air in place and temperatures are already in the low 20s so don't need to rise as much as previous days.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think you might be surprised- full sunshine won't be needed to reach those sorts of values today IMO. In my area it's brighter now and the cloud is a lot higher. Some very warm air in place and temperatures are already in the low 20s so don't need to rise as much as previous days.

This is also very true. This light rain here though is causing evaporative cooling now which is  offsetting that.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

This is also very true. This light rain here though is causing evaporative cooling now which is  offsetting that.

Very little rain here and nothing since before 6 am.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Agreed. Completely overcast here but the temperature is hovering around 24c. Not bad for a September morning with no sun. 

The warmth seems to be east of this rain band, even beneath the cloud. If we get any sun, and it does look likely from lunchtime, temperatures will rocket. 

• Like 5

Posted

Plenty of dust settled on the car overnight even if it was dropped with the lightest of showers and it seems the majority of car owners in the High Peak were also visited by the same Saharan Sand Fairy this morning, I don't think it'll be worth washing off just yet given the dust loading will be around the UK until midday Monday at the least. 

Still milky skies around for the afternoon ahead, but we're currently having a visit from the DLRAA Air Ambulance that's just landed on the other side of town.

• Like 5

Posted

Stubborn cloud, high humidity. It’s a very tropical feeling airmass. Not my favourite weather in all honesty feel drained at work and outside doesn’t offer any respite from it. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
17 minutes ago, toggerobz said:

Plenty of dust settled on the car overnight even if it was dropped with the lightest of showers and it seems the majority of car owners in the High Peak were also visited by the same Saharan Sand Fairy this morning, I don't think it'll be worth washing off just yet given the dust loading will be around the UK until midday Monday at the least. 

Still milky skies around for the afternoon ahead, but we're currently having a visit from the DLRAA Air Ambulance that's just landed on the other side of town.

Yup; cars are caked in it here in Preston, Lancs

• Like 4