Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted

Unless we see a massive flip which is unlikely the week ahead at least is the usual winter setup then. North/South split colder the further North which geographically is expected, and mild to average with rain at times. I can’t help but to think soon as that storm kicked off in the USA it was curtains for the UK cold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM and GFS both show the chance of widespread snow on the boundary between the arctic air to our north and warmer air from the south west late next week.  I get the feeling we are going to play ‘north a bit’ ‘south a bit’ for a few days and the winners prize could be a white Christmas ! 

I’d happily take Paris ……

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A very interesting battle going on, pretty much all predicated on what that bout of heights does from the Aleutian WAA, and how the residual greenland heights behave. If we can get that link up, that should change the outlook completely. 
Over the past, cold spells have often sprung up very quickly. 2012-2013 during January, it wasn’t until the mid timeframes that a scandi High suddenly built up. None of the models were interested one bit post 180 hours into each run until we got to more or less a week before the event unfolded! That was otherwise looking like a tedious mild winter. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Morning all,as Matt Hugo stated in his blog a very complicated picture as we run up to Christmas,Gem keen on a channel low keeping cold air well established to the north of the low pressure and a strong possibility of snow to most of England.ECM perhaps keeping the low tracking further north with less cold air over at least the south of the U.K. all still in the unreliable and open to change,prior to that a milder /colder regime looks to be the form horse for next week not seen such a good run up to Christmas for a very long time,white Christmas very much on the cards for some parts of the U.K. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

As expected, the ECM mean highlights that the op was on the milder side for the south:

Could contain: Chart, Line Chartgraphe1_00_311_155___.thumb.gif.8dcc595425288d0b4ab7c1f9aff53c73.gif

It also looks more progressive with the pressure drop around D7. I expect the op to separate the Atlantic low for longer in future runs more than the 0z op.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I only have 2 mins, plenty to play for and great post from @MattH there above.

You can see the difference in output quite nicely at 144 in order of a cold preference from GEM, GFS, ECM to UKMO.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Graphics, ArtCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, OutdoorsUN144-21.thumb.GIF.9b4a17033d73a06ce0c8a419d80663dd.GIF

Have a great day all 👍

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, Drifter said:

?? I’m in Hampshire!

I only noticed north east on your profile and missed out Hampshire.🤦‍♂️ sorry.👍

Posted

Those eps clusters have made me wonder whether the trough dropping to our sw will become cut off and allow the Atlantic heights  to connect to the euro ones across the top of it ?? The low anomoly to our sw is common across the ens suites 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Those eps clusters have made me wonder whether the trough dropping to our sw will become cut off and allow the Atlantic heights  to connect to the euro ones across the top of it ?? The low anomoly to our sw is common across the ens suites 

Trying to visualise if this would be good for coldies?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Scuro heights... 

1 minute ago, Drifter said:

I don't think so  calm and chilly at best is my take

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

Wow what a mess at 120t. Who would predict a festive forecast based on this mornings runs ? Basically, Arctic v Sub Tropical and who wins out ? Massive snow potential for some but where ? Basically sit tight and enjoy the ups and downs over the coming days. Experience tells me nothing nailed  . However, that cold up North looking intense but will it flood south ? Hang on to your hats !

C

The 500-1000hpa and mean sea level chart from ECM below for Christmas Day highlights just one example  presently of the difficulties in getting the forecast correct. For us in the Eastern Alps, looks quite simple , dry and mild. However, for you lot back in Blighty you are on the great divide between the two very different air mass types. Looking at the profile chart below you would expect the low to sink slowly SE and allow  Arctic air into Northern Britain with potential snow zone to develop. However, UKMO especially shows a big difference in its out put and indicates milder air pushing back any potential CAA.  Basically, the Festive Forecast remains in doubt until some kind of model agreement. Frankly all looks very messy at this stage with all possibilities on the table. I suppose going by the law of averages, milder scenarios usually win out BUT not all of the time !

C

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Accessories

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Drifter said:

3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Scuro heights... 

cluster  1 on the eps. A hybrid of the gem at day 9/10 

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art, PatternCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Person, Collage, Outdoors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
24 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Something like this, not good initially for those wanting proper wintry weather.

image.thumb.gif.f0cdd33e1e6f01d0126cc0da1c2ef2b8.gif

High pressure would build close to the UK and then drift eastwards. However that amplification may help further down the line.

If heights were to build over the top of a sinking trough, it would be far better to have this occur with a deeper trough to our east that could allow the high to build further north and have any northerly backing towards the east later on.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

You can see the subtle difference between the GFS and GEM that makes a difference at D6:

GFS 06z: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors GEM 0z: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

The more defined wedge between the Atlantic low and UK trough. The knock on for GEM is a sharper more perpendicular UK trough and the suppression of the Iberian high. Meaning a quicker sharper cold flow from the Arctic and more sustainable. Which way will the models trend? So far, a bit towards the GEM by GFS. So on this 06z run a N/S split for cold air at D7 rather than GEM cold nationwide.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

You can see the subtle difference between the GFS and GEM that makes a difference at D6:

GFS 06z: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors GEM 0z: Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

The more defined wedge between the Atlantic low and UK trough. The knock on for GEM is a sharper more perpendicular UK trough and the suppression of the Iberian high. Meaning a quicker sharper cold flow from the Arctic and more sustainable. Which way will the models trend? So far, a bit towards the GEM by GFS. So on this 06z run a N/S split for cold air at D7 rather than GEM cold nationwide.

GFS has a Bartlett high whereas GEM has much flatter heights.