Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

gens-0-2-150.png

Snow on Xmas Eve for most if the Control is to be believed 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, MJB said:

gens-0-2-150.png

Snow on Xmas Eve for most if the Control is to be believed 

I’m sure the low to the west would be a slider too delivering snow on its northern Edge for the big day I might be wrong though 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, clark3r said:

I’m sure the low to the west would be a slider too delivering snow on its northern Edge for the big day I might be wrong though 

Its a great run for scotland. I'm hoping its just showing those lows from 23rd a couple hundred miles too north ; )

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Purple, Outdoors, Nature, Map

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Its a great run for scotland. I'm hoping its just showing those lows from 23rd a couple hundred miles too north ; )

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Purple, Outdoors, Nature, Map

Isn't it strange how we have very few Scottish members. Maybe they just get it every year so it's no big deal. It does look like a white one there

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

Isn't it strange how we have very few Scottish members. Maybe they just get it every year so it's no big deal. It does look like a white one there

Yeah or maybe they have had there snow fix for now, think they just like to stay in their own scotish thread lol 

• Like 2

Posted

I'd take the Control , chilly and snow around on CE , CD and BD 

• Like 5

Posted

gensnh-0-1-192.png

Just wondering on the Control if the cold to the NE will move across further down the line 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

JFF the D16 GFS op: Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Nature

I think this is where we are heading for the end of the year. The tPV displacing the Arctic High and cycling around the regions. There will be pressure rises in the Atlantic-Euro sector, and this run we have the repeat of the Atlantic ridge/Azores trough/Euro high combo that we will see in a weeks time. With the E Pacific high, that is def one option of a few, so more runs needed obviously at this point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
18 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

It's Sunday and I'm a tad confused...some of the posts claiming its poor moving forward,while others claim its looking better!

Ecm ens look better than this time yesterday with a fair chunk of colder runs.

And while some on here are saying things could go down the pan into January....we have the met talking of greater chance of cold spells!

Welcome to the British weather where man or beast do not seem to have a scooby in what direction we are actually heading.

Go and get the decorations up and ease some stress 😉

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Any ideas why the op has been an outlier to varying degrees over the past few days ….surely if it’s correct and that much more accurate it’s ensembles are a waste of time 

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

There are quite a few of us... just that it has been somewhat less marginal for snow for us recently, so can simply look out of the window!  I do see a lot of comments suggesting "snowmageddon for Scotland" etc. when a Northerly is modeled, but that rarely delivers for Edinburgh and Glasgow, just  the far North and coasts.  And it doesn't snow here every year either, just to dispel the myths.

Anyway, the models showing potential battleground along the boundary of mild and colder air.  Potentially cold enough for wintry weather, but nothing spectacular in my opinion.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
31 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

I visit both this and the Scotland thread.

I am sure that other people north of the border do the same, however I do find that there is very little mention of Scottish weather on this thread with contributors seeming to comment on weather that will affect their local/areas of England - a point I have made recently when weather charts were posted which went as far as the England/Scotland border.

How inclusive !!!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
17 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

If you have 30 runs in a suite and half or 3 quarters go milder or colder how could you say they would be a waste of time? You need ensemble agreement to make a more solid and accurate forecast.

Can you imagine how many times a forecast would be changed daily if we only had the det run to use?

The bigger picture is complex and for me that's why we are seeing so many alternating runs.

We always need ensemble agreement when making a more rounded forecast,especially beyond that critical 7 day period.

Put it this way if all the det runs were going cold now,but the ens were not backing them up....I can guarantee you many on here would be saying...im not having it until there's ensemble support! But it appears some seem more convinced when it's a milder outlook they're showing.

Yes not saying they are a waste of time and understand the forecast logic …. Just confused why so many consecutive runs where the op is the outlier and your last few sentences add to my confusion as you say people seem to be taking the op as gospel …….

Posted
6 minutes ago, DanStormUK said:

I think i'd rather safely bet on 15C over Christmas period than Snow.  Safer bet.

New year looks mild/SW wind rain too.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

15C in the Scillies and snow in Shetland on Xmas day is a reasonable double this year......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
8 minutes ago, DanStormUK said:

I think i'd rather safely bet on 15C over Christmas period than Snow.  Safer bet.

New year looks mild/SW wind rain too.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

But the bit between looks cold 🥶 

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Storm

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Lightning, Thunderstorm, Storm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1