Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
20 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Atmospheric River = Plenty of moisture. Tail of an Atmospheric River = colder(for us that's the, I think Polar Maritime?). I've been saying it for a while now and the timing with this could potentially bring A LOT of snow to somewhere across Great Britain. As long as the Atmospheric River doesn't retreat back North then I think somewhere could see exactly what I've been talking about.

They're very underrated these Atmospheric Rivers although I don't remember one streaming across the Atlantic since I've joined here (well, in Winter anyway) and I think they're quite rare at this strength in the Atlantic. Just wish we got them as strong as California can get them, just look at the amount of snow that fell from one of them.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant

Ours isn't as strong as that but imagine if it was, maybe one day...

Is Atmospheric River not just another name for trailing fronts or pineapple express or whatever else? And is it not just what happened in November 2009 and December 2015? And rather than burying us in snow do they not tend to just drown the west of the UK?

Edited by trickydicky
  • Like 2

Posted

Things definitely happening out east. Day 7 UKMO

spacer.png
If you run the sequence, there’s definitely a brick wall appearing - if we went to day 10 I’d expect that area of HP to extend to Scandinavia. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Drifter said:

As ever, it would seem the GFS has led us up the garden path once again. 

Let's be honest here, the GFS was "mostly" on its own.

Despite the model uncertainty if you have just one model showing thing and a majority of models showing another then it's bound to be wrong in most cases.

Game over for winter? By no means it's not but I would give it a yellow card.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Drifter said:

spacer.png
If you run the sequence, there’s definitely a brick wall appearing - if we went to day 10 I’d expect that area of HP to extend to Scandinavia. 

Could that also out pressure on the PV, too?

4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Let's be honest here, the GFS was "mostly" on its own.

Despite the model uncertainty if you have just one model showing thing and a majority of models showing another then it's bound to be wrong in most cases.

Game over for winter? By no means it's not but I would give it a yellow card.

The Met Office 16-30 day offers hope for mid January, so something to cling on to!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
46 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's nothing to do with meteociel. 

It looks the same on other model viewers as well.

Fact remains it struggles with forecasting showery activity when all parameters are conducive as it showed during our recent cold spell.It was atrocious. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Don said:

I think the Euro heights may be the thorn in the side for this winter and (think) it was shown by many long range models in the lead up to winter?

I think we are about to watch them disappear. Already starting in the GFS 6z. Let's see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Could that also out pressure on the PV

11 minutes ago, Drifter said:

spacer.png

On what basis do you expect the high to back west ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

I never thought I would beg for a NW’ly..ah well.. it is crimbo innit!…honestly, this is just like this time last year when the mean imploded!..lightening has seemingly struck twice.. unfortunately! …but we are slaves to what the models show, all the fancy talk doesn’t mean diddly squat when the models pull the rug from under us?…however..it hasn’t happened yet so perhaps I’m being presumptuous!.. 🧐😱😜🥶👍 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Hopefully the models do not trend towards an exceptionally mild New Year like last year as well!  That really would be a kick!!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Hopefully the models do not trend towards an exceptionally mild New Year like last year as well!  That really would be a kick!!

Surely that depends on the context of what looks likely to follow …..

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I didn’t say it would back west to impact us immediately. 
The trough is disrupting and filling over Scandinavia which would allow the Russian high to back west. 
We’d then have to wait for another round of disruption for to back westwards again. Discontinuous Retrogression, if we need another buzzword/phrase. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
23 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I never thought I would beg / pray 🙏 for a NW’ly..ah well.. it is crime innit:santa-emoji:!…honestly, this is just like this time last year (deja ..vavava.. va vu! 😉..when the mean imploded!..lightening has seemingly struck twice.. unfortunately?! …but we are slaves to what the models show, all the fancy talk (terminology) doesn’t mean diddly squat when the models pull the rug from under us?…however..it hasn’t happened yet so perhaps I’m being presumptuous?!.. 🧐😱😜🥶👍 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

I meant crimbo!...sadly there isnt enough time to edit mistakes!..so sad...🤣..merry christmas..hohoho

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Surely that depends on the context of what looks likely to follow …..

True but what followed last year/early this year wasn't up to much.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
50 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

Is Atmospheric River not just another name for trailing fronts or pineapple express or whatever else? And is it not just what happened in November 2009 and December 2015? And rather than burying us in snow do they not tend to just drown the west of the UK?

Not really, it's a tight corridor of concentrated water vapour transport (that can be very long in length but its not that wide usually). The pineapple express is just an example of one really, it depends more on the initial state of at Atmosphere and what air source it mixes in with. In a large zonal system it does create that pineapple express but in something like this, if it times itself with the cold(ish) air then the potential for snowfall will arise with it. Its not really a weather system in itself, its simply a large transport of water over time in a narrow corridor.

Anyway, away from that and...

As @Mike Poole says, it's not a 'roaring' +NAO that seems to be setting up here just yet. It does initially connect up with the Trop and we get a slight +VE zonal state going into the New Year. Yet, it doesn't look to be really strong and I think the AAM becomes fairly significant here. If we can get a significant rebound of AAM then the Trop-Strat connect up probably won't be long enough to build itself strong. Instead, thermal Rossby transfer poleward from fairly unstable inertia in a 'marginal' situation like this should probably be enough to swing us back into a slightly -VE zonal anomaly state.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 4

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

I'd expect UKMO 120 to produce snow at moderate altitude ..

Providing the collapsing ridge hasn't killed off showers at this point..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Light, Nature, Outdoors

Anyone know where to go (or have a link) for the UKMO precip charts 🙏?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I don't think they are available Tim

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Looks like we will be cooler than the whole of the United States for New Year. Bet it's not often that happens.

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Accessories, Nature, Person

I thought that the US was heading into the freezer?

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think there is a new trend today, but the flattening of euro heights is a by-product of it, not the main point of interest.  What has struck me from the afternoon runs so far, and to be fair was evident from the extended clusters this morning (although I failed to comment on it at the time), is where has the upstream pattern gone?  UKMO T168, GFS & GEM T192:

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Once the US storm remnants and other bits and pieces are out of the way, there isn’t anything else to come at us from a westerly direction, it looks very benign over the pond.  There is no sign of the trop PV setting up shop in a bad place.  You can see on this plot based on GFS 0z, T240 and T384, the position of the lowest, orange ellipse is squashed away from the USA by some margin, while the strat PV races away in pretty much a circle.

Could contain: Necklace, Jewelry, Accessories, Night, Outdoors, Nature, DiskCould contain: Necklace, Jewelry, Accessories, Night, Outdoors, Nature

I think there is a good chance of weather from northwest or even north of northwest if this pattern persists, and at the time of year, this could be interesting.  Certainly not a return to standard +NAO zonal fayre, I would suggest, and at best, a visit from the vortex itself down the line?

Absolutely, I noticed this too. I'm sure the US experienced similar benigness prior to our recent cold spell. This sluggishness over the US continent manifests itself with a resultant sluggish atlantic. This is certainly noteworthy and very positive for the UK as we approach deep mid Winter. Great timing!

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

I don't think they are available Tim

I’m sure I’ve seen them posted before . Perhaps they are behind a pay wall..or I imagined it 🤔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Here, for the UK:

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose de manière régulière le modèle à maille fine UKMO 0.1° du UK MetOffice (météo angaise) sur 5 zones (France, Nord-Ouest, Nord-Est, Sud-Ouest...

Edit, sorry that link doesn’t seem to work, go to UKMO page, click ‘UKMO HD 0.1 Pays’ and click UK flag.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, Tim Bland said:

I’m sure I’ve seen them posted before . Perhaps they are behind a pay wall..or I imagined it 🤔

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Sea, Water, Shoreline, Coast, Peninsula, Rainforest

1_precip_type.png
WWW.THEWEATHEROUTLOOK.COM

UK Met Office global model is one of the leading numerical weather prediction models

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1