Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
11 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Means nothing to be honest. 

Exactly! What good are the models when even the professionals like the Met Office get it wrong ? 

It doesn’t look like any charts are showing anything remotely wintry over the southern half of the UK in the foreseeable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Just about 1 single eps member showing the desired outcome out of a 50 member suite!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

2% chance 😂

You watch,EC46 will be spot on now it's crap.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, MJB said:

I used to take note of EC 46 but last year it got absolutely nothing right , it's a crap model BUT what model is good after 168hrs 

It's not crap, people take a mean chart in isolation and jump to conclusions. Obviously the futher out the less accurate it becomes but you need to view the entire data suite to get a broad view of the medium range outlook. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
15 minutes ago, zubzero said:

It's not crap, people take a mean chart in isolation and jump to conclusions. Obviously the futher out the less accurate it becomes but you need to view the entire data suite to get a broad view of the medium range outlook. 

Isn't that what I said ?

After the first week , it is crap end of , you name me a model in the last 10-14 days that could get near the xmas outcome we've just had , it was only within the 120 - 144 range it could pinned down .

EC 46 will show a mass of blocking one week and drop it the following BUT to repeat is no different to any other model 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, MJB said:

Isn't that what I said ?

After the first week , it is crap end of , you name me a model in the last 10-14 days that could get near the xmas outcome we've just had , it was only within the 120 - 144 range it could pinned down .

EC 46 will show a mass of blocking one week and drop it the following BUT to repeat is no different to any other model 

It's not crap at all its your interpretation of the data that is. It's very rare that a data suite will show a very strong signal post 10 days. 

If your seeing a mass of blocking by looking at a mean chart in the +168 range, and your interpretation of said chart don't come to fruition what's crap? Your view of the model, or the model?? At a basic level it's done by % chance.

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/opencharts_extended_meteogram?base_time=202212260000&lat=51.4333&lon=-1.0&station_name=Reading

The key is at the bottem.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Strong support for mild into the foreseeable.  Good news for keeping those bills down.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Chandelier, Lamp

Don’t know about anyone else but we still put our heating on at least once a day. It’s bitter outside right now too. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Some noticeable changes to the local synoptics between T+72 & T+84:

T+84

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

T+72

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Two bowling ball LPs north of UK obliterated, northerly feed being introduced to Scotland. Incoming LPs across the Atlantic are further east.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, MJB said:

Isn't that what I said ?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Atlas, Diagram

plenty of ec46 runs over the past month have indicated the euro high for Xmas to new year week. A few of them are attached above. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Atlas, Diagram

plenty of ec46 runs over the past month have indicated the euro high for Xmas to new year week. A few of them are attached above. 

True, although the one on the far right is a poor run because it depicts a trough West of Spain and we have nothing of the sort.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

True, although the one on the far right is a poor run because it depicts a trough West of Spain and we have nothing of the sort.

the week 26th to 2nd has troughing to our west extending south to the cut off canaries fella  

Could contain: Pattern, Accessories, Art, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

The differences at day 10 on the last 2 runs prove day 10 is deep FI, they are quite different in our neck of the woods . Therefore I feel we could easily see something better pop up at this point as the MJO moves along. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Accessories

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

the week 26th to 2nd has troughing to our west extending south to the cut off canaries fella  

Could contain: Pattern, Accessories, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Ok - not perfect and D10-17 not extreme FI but decent - get your point -  i will give it a pass.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Exactly! What good are the models when even the professionals like the Met Office get it wrong ? 

It doesn’t look like any charts are showing anything remotely wintry over the southern half of the UK in the foreseeable.

I am inclined to believe they get it right most of the time, though . Although I don't have stats to back it up. Of course even if my assumption  is correct they could be wrong regarding their latest update. I am just worried that if the previous updates about a colder turn around mid January were influenced by the MJO, that they may have picked up a new signal regarding the MJO phase not being good enough this time around to promote blocking far enough North to bring cold our way.  

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Small signs of a better shunting of the upper Stratosphere and Stratopause vortex with the warming signal over Eurasia backing up the Pacific Wave-1 signal so small hints of a strong Wave-1 signal stretching right up into the Stratosphere and really shunting up that aspect ratio. I would prefer to see tentative signs of Wave-2 to backup the Wave-1 signal as Wave-2's are much more linked with major SSW's but that's if one were to happen in the first place. I'm still being cautious though the disconnect between the Trop and Strat vortex is clear to see, it remains fairly far out for now. Notice the strong amount of EHF reaching the upper Strat and into the Stratopause on today's update as they are looking to back up the wave pattern. Notice the clear displacement in the Stratopause; if that can force reflection down to the upper Stratosphere (especially 10hPa) area then we can start to get fairly excited but like I said, I would prefer it if we did see Wave-2 increasing as the upwards wave flux activity may wane slightly early which would weaken the reflective Strat properties without Wave-2. It's a good update but still too far out for my liking and it'll be a long wait to see how things evolve. The thermal gradient and change in vortex placement is what I'm going to be looking at as things get closer as they will have a big impact on whether or not a SSW happens in the first place. Beware that a minor SSW is a possibility unless upward wave flux doesn't wane or Wave-2 comes out of pretty much nowhere and that's if we see a SSW happen. It's still unlikely but based off how the upper Strat and near the Stratopause is evolving there are tentative signs that we're moving in the right direction for one...

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, SpiralCould contain: Spiral, Nature, Outdoors, Moon, Night, AstronomyCould contain: Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Night, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

When was the last time a displacement of the Vortex worked out for us? Maybe I am reading your post all wrong but I get the impression you think a displacement is more likely at this stage, unless we get the Wave 2.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
8 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

When was the last time a displacement of the Vortex worked out for us? Maybe I am reading your post all wrong but I get the impression you think a displacement is more likely at this stage unless we get the Wave 2.

Yes, Wave-1 favours a displacement compared to a split hence why I'm hoping for Wave-2 though if we get enough upwards wave flux a displacement can help us at least partly as that might be enough to weaken (though not reverse probably) the Trop zonal winds. Right now, we're having to take what we've got unfortunately but that's often the way Winter goes for us, I take a 30% chance (as a guess) of a SSW right now and then a further 30-40% of it helping us get cold (if it is indeed a displacement) compared to some recent Winters to be honest. The Trop isn't significantly zonal and AAM is +VE right now though we should start losing it over the next few days, it should stay fairly neutral and prone to upwards rebounds. Meaning that should a weaker (even if not reversed) Strat reflect it's weaker zonal winds down due to large upwards wave flux (some new research suggests this is a good indicator of the Strat reflecting at least partly) then we should see the Trop zonal winds weaken and so cold chances may go slightly up. It's not the best pattern but it's not the worst I can think of.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
Just now, Mariescb said:

So can you tell me what the difference is between someone getting giddy over Narnia charts and someone getting excited over milder charts? This is a MODEL thread, not a cold lovers only thread and people have the right to have a weather preference, especially when the models back up said preference. Some of you want to make snowmen others want lower bills. Each to their own.

Are you serious? You can discuss cold and mild weather conditions here as winter goes on. Have I denied to you the right to talk about all this? Seeking mild weather for financial reasons has no place in this thread. It's confusing, it's wrong. 

• Like 4

Posted

The first attempt is now guaranteed to be Fizzler (minor warming), however, the secondary warming is coming hot on its heels, it could be we need a few attempts, there's a small cluster on the EC 46 going for a late Jan SSW - analogues for this - 91,09. and 12 - i think anything remotely wintry for South UK gone pretty much for first 2 thirds of Jan but i don't subscribe to the view that Feb is a bust for cold just because its a nina year.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Why does many on here take every run as gospel? Wasn’t long ago we was staring down the barrel to a massive freeze, kept hearing the words locked in? Yes we had a couple of weeks or so of cold frosty winters weather but was mainly dry and boring in my book.

All I’m saying is the model runs will and do change pretty rapidly once a signal is picked up, so yes may look pretty uninspiring for the foreseeable at present but things will look different in a week or so….maybe time for a little break 

I think you'll find that most people look at the models together with the met Office long range forecast and lose all hope of seeing snow. 

• Like 1