Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
15 minutes ago, Nick F said:

MJO phase 7 10 lag amplification or trop response to SSW displacement / reversal? 🤣👀

Could contain: Plot, Chart

I think both Nick but that looks like a QTR to me,landing date of phase 7 is the 14th with lag that would be the 24th> so that chart would be plausable

be interesting to see where it sits in the gefs ens soon,...i hope it's a better set than previous though.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo/added text
  • Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

MJO phase 7 10 lag amplification or trop response to SSW displacement / reversal? 🤣👀

Or just the GFS doing a random tease?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Going to get slayed for this but every winter there are 14 day charts showing a cold invasion. I do understand this `may` have legs but posting 14 day charts is just keeping the forum going.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Well here’s the vertical cross section of zonal winds for the GFS 12z:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map

I’m not sure I’m any the wiser.  The plot on the left suggests it is trop led, maybe pointing to MJO.  But the anomaly plot on the right hints at more than an element of downwelling.  

Odd run this, we get a split at the end, but not in the same place as previous splits, both lobes on Europe/Asia side.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Going to get slayed for this but every winter there are 14 day charts showing a cold invasion. I do understand this `may` have legs but posting 14 day charts is just keeping the forum going.

But it's what we are looking out for right now in conjunction with the ssw towards the end of this month beginning of next

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A nice chart in deep FI on the face of it. Doesn't yield any snow (sod all even in the Highlands) and daytime temps around 4C not very exciting..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Modern Art, Art, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Nature  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Text 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Outdoors, Vegetation, Tree, Plant

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

This ECM run does tie in with the AO sharp drop towards neutral.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, ArtCould contain: Plot, Chart

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 4

Posted

So the wave 2 second warming could lead to the vortex splitting?  Will the daughter vortices move to the wrong place though? 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick F said:

MJO phase 7 10 day lag amplification or trop response to SSW displacement / reversal? 🤣👀

That’s a combo of both !  Winds actually reverse in the trop late on and the reversal high up makes it down below 100hpa at the end of the run 

whilst the trop is probably wrong at that range, it’s notable to see the downwelling from the strat …

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Face, Person, Head

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 3

Posted

Looking at the EC ENS it’s all very boring to about T300 then everything starts getting interesting, lots of blocking but obviously no real consistency as to where at this stage. So like the GFS Op it looks like around day 14 things could take off - around the same time as the BFTE then 😬😂👌🥶

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Tbh, I couldn't care what the MJO or the PDO  ,the AMO, or the ENSO, and the NAO, Along with the SSW And Polar vortex ,and of course cosmic bloody rays , the UK is going to experience some boring February weather....😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1