Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, dryfie said:

The Glasgow max is 31.9,  but why let the facts spoil the story.  Further, the official city site is on a hilltop many miles away, totally unrepresentative.  They could use the airport, but seems the Met doesn’t trust them in Scotland.  Then there’s Pollok Park, nicely on the outskirts and an official site, but no.  The city has more green space than any other UK city, but apparently none suitable.  I’d reckon that daily max temps are regularly two degrees higher than the poor site.

Whether it’s 31C or 31.9C doesn’t really change the point though - it’s still a very low record temperature (compared to what is frequently achieved in southern Northern England), and the official heatwave threshold is hilariously low for much of England imo. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, dryfie said:

The Glasgow max is 31.9,  but why let the facts spoil the story.  Further, the official city site is on a hilltop many miles away, totally unrepresentative.  They could use the airport, but seems the Met doesn’t trust them in Scotland.  Then there’s Pollok Park, nicely on the outskirts and an official site, but no.  The city has more green space than any other UK city, but apparently none suitable.  I’d reckon that daily max temps are regularly two degrees higher than the poor site.

Sounds exactly like Swansea, which is much warmer than the exposed rock the weather station is sited at Mumbles. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Sorry to my fellow east of England folks further north than me.....the clag has burned off here today, and we now have a lovely afternoon to enjoy. Further up into the NE it's the same old story. Ghastly cloud yet again.

Good to hear that some of you further south have managed to catch a break. I don't begrudge anyone who has evaded or been liberated from this grey slab of doom and gloom.

Another day without sunshine for me, but just scraped 14C, which I'll take as a conciliatory improvement over the last few days. 😬

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Howie said:

Am I the only one not really looking forward to storms? Just want it dry and sunny please 😭

Chris Alder same I think? Bournemouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 minutes ago, Howie said:

Am I the only one not really looking forward to storms? Just want it dry and sunny please 😭

I'd like to get hit with a few showers this weekend and next week. When I am trying to grow my own food having no rain for a month is detrimental.

• Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, northriding said:

Good to hear that some of you further south have managed to catch a break. I don't begrudge anyone who has evaded or been liberated from this grey slab of doom and gloom.

Another day without sunshine for me, but just scraped 14C, which I'll take as a conciliatory improvement over the last few days. 😬

The sun came out here around 4pm as mentioned above but it‘s still a wasted day. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

A beautiful early Summer evening.

Blue skies, 21c, very still air, making it feel properly warm.

Enjoy👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, cheese said:

I think that’s a bit silly really - I certainly wouldn’t consider 25C a heatwave here. I also think it’s strange that cities like Leeds, York and Manchester have the same heatwave threshold as Glasgow & Edinburgh. Glasgow’s highest ever temperature is a measly 31C - that’s the kind of temperature you see almost every year here. 

I suspect this is a recent phenomenon that sooner or later will become a feature further north. Scotland recorded its first 35°C last year.

Anyone got the maximum temperatures for Leeds and/or Manchester going back, say, to 1970? I suspect 30°C wasn't anywhere near as frequent back then.

Posted

Reading the summer net weather forecasts, best analogues summers 97 and 09. These were very mixed summers, with alot of thunder notably June 97, Aug 97 and Jul 09. 

Aug 97 was very hot and humid and wet. 

Perhaps this summer may be a mix of both, I am expecting a progressively wetter summer, bouts of humid heat quite regularly but no sustained very hot dry weather, but also litte cool weather, consistently warm to hot, sometimes dry sometimes very wet and thundery. It shouts plume territory but not the excessive heat to tap into compared to last year.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

FGS look at the satellite pic. Ye olde Clag is coming back. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I suspect this is a recent phenomenon that sooner or later will become a feature further north. Scotland recorded its first 35°C last year.

Anyone got the maximum temperatures for Leeds and/or Manchester going back, say, to 1970? I suspect 30°C wasn't anywhere near as frequent back then.

Oh I’m sure that’s true. The 60s-80s in particular were pretty cool decades. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.
40 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

If you look at my post from earlier that is on this page you’ll see a great site that has historical weather record for just about anywhere in the world 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth. Storms.
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Is this an actual joke? For a couple of days of warm weather that’s not even a certainty. 

It's only 2 days ahead, though, through to D+5. Confidence is pretty high, and it's less useful issuing a warning less than a day ahead. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth. Storms.
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

seems so weird, going over the top with warnings! since when has 24 degrees or so, been a heat health alert, unbelievable

While many of us enjoy temperatures of 25C (not 24) and above, it is undeniable that there are people for whom increasing warmth is a health issue. And some places are forecast to get to the upper 20s or 30C. If it's inapplicable then it's easy enough to ignore.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Is this an actual joke? For a couple of days of warm weather that’s not even a certainty. 

Classic Britain! Health and Safety gone mad. Nanny State nonsense.

It's literally just 2/3 days in upper 20s (if that!) with some thunderstorms. 😱😱

Meanwhile large swathes of the USA gets 30c+ for weeks on end in Summer, and -10 to -15 in the Winter for weeks, and they all crack on as normal. 😂

2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

seems so weird, going over the top with warnings! since when has 24 degrees or so, been a heat health alert, unbelievable

We'd already exceeded 25c numerous times by this time last year...

We hit 27c in May in London last year, and not a peep from anyone about it. Was just a wonderful hot late May day. 

Ridiculous.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looking forward to a bit of humid air! I often find the fish biting more when doing a nighttime beach fishing session.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
29 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

FGS look at the satellite pic. Ye olde Clag is coming back. 

Can this be name of the Netweather pub?

Few pints down at Ye Olde Clag and wait for this to all blow over...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Looking forward to a bit of humid air! I often find the fish biting more when doing a nighttime beach fishing session.

Yup, have you noticed the change in the feel of air today? Much much warmer this evening too. 

Posted
49 minutes ago, Theo said:

It's only 2 days ahead, though, through to D+5. Confidence is pretty high, and it's less useful issuing a warning less than a day ahead. 

Might as well put out a yellow warning for whole of rest of summer if this is the benchmark. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

25°C shouldn't be a problem to reach here tomorrow.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

I'm a little more dubious about Friday.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Just a quick one for those who might be interested:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Land Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors

Mid-tropospheric humidity today vs saturday night/sunday, which will obviously impact weather at the surface.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1