Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Think i'll be wearing a coat on school run ...

People quite literally ARE wearing those coats today in London. Theres like a weird cold mist/moisture to the air where its not actually raining but it's just not *dry* if that makes sense.

Keep seeing groups of poor tourists with suitcases looking quite forlorn 😔 All in shorts, t shirts etc because they probably thought London would be warm at the start of July. Come off their plane from whatever warm and sunny place at this time of year to this! 🤢

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I was going to mention the A-word but thought better of it 😉

Seriously though this is very similar to a disturbed spell in early September in overall feel.

Feels like a standard June/July unsettled spell tbh.

I'm enjoying this unsettled weather personally. Sunshine and warmth is nice for a while but after a month of it, fresh, rainy air is heavenly. I've really made the most of the last month but now I'm bored of being hot and sweaty.

Perhaps I'll have had my fix of fresher conditions come mid-July.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

People quite literally ARE wearing those coats today in London. Theres like a weird cold mist/moisture to the air where its not actually raining but it's just not *dry* if that makes sense.

Keep seeing groups of poor tourists with suitcases looking quite forlorn 😔 All in shorts, t shirts etc because they probably thought London would be warm at the start of July. Come off their plane from whatever warm and sunny place at this time of year to this! 🤢

I wore one on school run this morning when it was 14c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well drizzle has reached Dover now, but it's still warm enough to go to the shop in a t-shirt and not feel cold. Probably got used to this temp with sun and an east wind in march April may, early June.

Posted

Goodbye June 2023. You won't be missed. Total lack of variety weatherwise just endless sun, heat, humidity and a very poor attempt at a t- storm. Looks like early- mid July is going to offer the weather enthusiast something much more interesting.Once we hit August it doesn't matter as we'll be on the home stretch to autumn then anway. Plus there are some flying toys in the MAD group which is always fun. 😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

An alternative viewpoint could be that 10-11C with sunshine, when the days are lengthening noticeably (such as can happen in February, but not earlier in the winter) can actually feel pleasantly warm to be outside. This February had a fair amount of that sort of weather. Indeed, my favoured type of winter is cold and snowy in Dec/Jan/early Feb, then milder and sunny from around mid-Feb.

By contrast, temps in the high teens, cloudy and breezy (when you've been used to warmer conditions) in early July - which looking at the model runs, could happen in the next few days in some areas at least - can feel distinctly unpleasant.

Sunshine does make a huge difference to the feel of things yes. Whilst I enjoy hot weather in summer, if push comes to shove I'd rather have a day consisting of 19 Celsius and blue skies than an overcast one at 29 Celsius.

In winter, I enjoy blue sky cold frosty days (and of course some snow). They feel much more pleasant than overcast and drizzly mild winter days.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Sunshine does make a huge difference to the feel of things yes. Whilst I enjoy hot weather in summer, if push comes to shove I'd rather have a day consisting of 19 Celsius and blue skies than an overcast one at 29 Celsius.

In winter, I love blue sky cold frosty days (and of course some snow). They feel much more pleasant than the usual overcast and drizzly mild winter days.

Someone who gets it, love a cold frost winters morning, that doesn't actually mean I like been cold, it's just how fresh the air feels, and the colour of the white frost on the ground roofs cars etc, snow is a bonus while it's fresh, not once it's icy, or a dirty slush.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Someone who gets it, love a cold frost winters morning, that doesn't actually mean I like been cold, it's just how fresh the air feels, and the colour of the white frost on the ground roofs cars etc, snow is a bonus while it's fresh, not once it's icy, or a dirty slush.

Yes, snow does start to lose its appeal once it becomes all dirty and slushy. But it's great when it's fresh and feels good to walk in. 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
49 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Grim 17C in mid afternoon on the day of june. 🤮🤮🤮

I think the temps today are putting the kybosh on the theory that warm SSTs will prevent it being unseasonably cool by day in the coming weeks.

We don't have particularly cool uppers, it's not currently raining (there was some intermittent rain earlier), but the temps are still around 4 degrees below normal for the time of year.

I fancy that if July is indeed dull and wet through most of the month, it will not be especially warm by day hence I'm still going for a CET in the mid-16s.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I dream of 17C, only 15C here in North Down.

Well it’s raining quite a bit here now as well. And the day is WAY worse the models were indicating only last night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
17 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I dream of 17C, only 15C here in North Down.

I suppose relatively speaking it's the same, 4C below average. Nice in Dec and Jan, ok from October to April, sometimes ok in May and September, complete rubbish this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I don’t know why there’s so much moaning. Cool, overcast and drizzly conditions like today’s are just so rare in the UK, we should all enjoy it to the maximum. We just never know when we’ll get the chance to enjoy these conditions again in our hellish, desert climate. Could be decades. Remember that sunshine is so very dangerous and you could die if out in it for more than 20 seconds 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I can’t believe the forecast for this evening is now several hours of proper moderate rain. 

To be honest looking at the synoptic chart I'm not surprised, I had today down as a poor one about a week out though surprised just how cool it is. At least it increases the chance it might clear this clag out.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I can’t believe the forecast for this evening is now several hours of proper moderate rain. 

Good!!

If it's going to be cloudy at least give us something useful for the plants!!

• Like 3

Posted

So that's it......schools in half the UK nations have now broken up for the 'summer' holidays.  The weather continues good up here for most folk, with sporadic rain keeping the ground moist (but nowhere near enough rain yet),  sensible temperatures, and a decent amount of coastal sunshine.  Obviously not so good for the kids, but many Scots families take overseas holidays in the next few weeks, before the rest break up.  Flights costs are much cheaper, especially from Newc or Manc.  Hopefully twill be better when they return to home shores.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Not sure where all the moaning is coming from. We have one cloudy day with 19-20c temps, before it goes back to average 22-26c and partly cloudy the rest of the week, and then most likely warmer after that.

There will still be plenty more 25+ sunny days through July, August and September.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, dryfie said:

So that's it......schools in half the UK nations have now broken up for the 'summer' holidays.  The weather continues good up here for most folk, with sporadic rain keeping the ground moist (but nowhere near enough rain yet),  sensible temperatures, and a decent amount of coastal sunshine.  Obviously not so good for the kids, but many Scots families take overseas holidays in the next few weeks, before the rest break up.  Flights costs are much cheaper, especially from Newc or Manc.  Hopefully twill be better when they return to home shores.

Really? Mine still have two weeks left, GCSE students have finished though.

Posted
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

Not sure where all the moaning is coming from. We have one cloudy day with 19-20c temps, before it goes back to average 22-26c and partly cloudy the rest of the week, and then most likely warmer after that.

Would be surprised to see 26C anytime soon. Perhaps next Friday/Saturday in favoured spots, briefly.

3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Really? Mine still have two weeks left, GCSE students have finished though.

Scotland and NI I guess.

Not sure what school terms are like nowadays, but back in the 80s, down here we broke up any time between July 13 and July 24 depending on the year and the school.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Would be surprised to see 26C anytime soon. Perhaps next Friday/Saturday in favoured spots, briefly.

London has 27c next Saturday and Sunday. This weekend and most of next week has temps of 23-25c, which is average for July.

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

London has 27c next Saturday and Sunday. This weekend and most of next week has temps of 23-25c, which is average for July.

About 3C higher TBH than I would expect from the synoptics, maybe this is the SSTs kicking in?

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Scotland and NI I guess.

Not sure what school terms are like nowadays, but down here we broke up any time between July 13 and July 24 depending on the year and the school.

And a good job, too! 👍 It's 20C here, today, and I'm nae moaning; my flat is cooling nicely. 😁

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Methuselah said:

And a good job, too! 👍 It's 20C here, today, and I'm nae moaning; my flat is cooling nicely. 😁

House is still 28 lol, was 27 this morning, I guess the sun before the cloud and drizzle turned up was enough to warm things a bit 

• Like 1