Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted

Today first day I think of the whole of June failed to deliver a max higher than 21 degrees anywhere. Correct if wrong. Ironic its the last day as well. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Today first day I think of the whole of June failed to deliver a max higher than 21 degrees anywhere. Correct if wrong. Ironic its the last day as well. 

Definitely wrong the whole east coast was cold till the first hot spell, with storms, so second week of June. Temps where held back to a out 16 in the sun, less under North sea clag

sorry I think I got your post the wrong way around, you are correct as the west side was warmer at the time. I though you meant min being 21.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
25 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well  sorry, i falsely presumed common sense and a understanding of the English language would be enough, my apologies....I must make any future posts very simple to understand obviously. On this occasion i should have used the word Most not Some.

I think 'Some' would suffice not 'Most'? Thank you for the clarification tho for us simple folk innit 👍

I will leave it there but know doubt you will have the last word! 😎

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Definitely wrong the whole east coast was cold till the first hot spell, with storms, so second week of June. Temps where held back to a out 16 in the sun, less under North sea clag.

I mean, absolute max UK wide, I suspect somewhere in the west or Scotland saw a temp higher than 21.0 degrees each day first week of June. I know many parts of the east had to wait until the 9th/10th for their first 21 of the month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
Just now, damianslaw said:

I mean, absolute max UK wide, I suspect somewhere in the west or Scotland saw a temp higher than 21.0 degrees each day first week of June. I know many parts of the east had to wait until the 9th/10th for their first 21 of the month.

Yep sorry, already editted my post, got it the wrong way around, thought you was talking min temps at first

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
20 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I think 'Some' would suffice not 'Most'? Thank you for the clarification tho for us simple folk innit 👍

I will leave it there but know doubt you will have the last word! 😎

🤐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

🤐

😂😂👍

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Evening all,

So it looks like a record breaking (or at least a podium position) June comes to a close. Must say regardless of how the rest of the Summer goes I'd have been pleased if you told me last Spring that Summer 2023 will feature a very warm June. 

Having done some research it appears that even the classic Summers have included several cool and unsettled spells. For example, 1976 had a cool spell first third of June, middle third of July and last third of August. 

In addition, I've been lucky enough to be in a few parts of the world in their Summers and we are not the only ones to experience days like today in Summer. I recall staying with relatives in Southern France in July and having blustery showers with temps around 18c for a week. Same too goes for Northern Spain and Germany. 

More surprisingly Australia and New Zealand also experience disappointing weather in Summer. Many days did I experience that drab, overcast, cool and windy conditions in places like Melbourne and Christchurch. 

So no need to panic just yet. If we're in the same scenario in a months time with cool ensembles into mid August then we can write the Summer off. I'll admit though it's easy to overreact to poor forecasts, but sometimes a step back is needed to look at the bigger picture!

I can agree with that. Melbourne Boxing Day 2006 and a few days after. Drab. Cool. Grey and misly about 14c. Adelaide December 2014.  Same. Cool drizzly grey for a few days.  Get a southerly down there and you are in trouble!

• Like 1

Posted

For those interested June 1976 remains the king in London. Noticeable though how 3 of the top 5 warmest have occurred since only 2017, that’s quite alarming or pleasing to some.

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That run of 20°C+..

Screenshot2023-07-01000429.thumb.png.b8b9cd55e924c32eb9834aab306256b0.png

That last day of June 🤬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

IMG_8405.thumb.jpeg.090580f74fa17ec756dec14ddb8e1a4d.jpeg

As I look out of my window just now….with the rain falling from a lead grey sky, and the wind swirling….it could easily be October. Depressing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Sunshine Table for June 2023-

Found more stations as the month progressed so I have both the old and new table.

Very good month for most places ☀️

Notes-

Found an amateur weather station in Eastbourne with a working sun recorder so now East Sussex will have more accurate results. 

A few of these new ones may not be so accurate so feel free to suggest other weather stations to me.

I have Cambridgeshire and Durham, only reason they're not included is because of missing data for the month.

Only missing 8 counties now!

- City of London (relying on some random weather station in the city so doubtful ill ever get this one)

- Greater Manchester 

- Hertfordshire 

- Merseyside 

- Rutland

- Tyne & Wear

- Warwickshire 

- Worcestershire 

If you know sun recording stations from these 8 counties, please link me so that we can have all 48 counties in the table ✌️

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
8 minutes ago, Howie said:

Can't wait for this cloudy rubbish to go away 

Unfortunately we could be seeing 2 weeks of this…Unless a major change happens mid month, we could be on course for a bog standard normal UK July…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

IMG_8405.thumb.jpeg.090580f74fa17ec756dec14ddb8e1a4d.jpeg

As I look out of my window just now….with the rain falling from a lead grey sky, and the wind swirling….it could easily be October. Depressing.

Yep, dire again today. Which when people on here on Thursday started going "why is everyone moaning? It's only 1 overcast day!"

Well, it's not, because our weather patterns don't work like that. Once the cloudy dross comes, it stays for days. If we had just 1 cloudy day then back to sunny and warm (20c+) I wouldn't mind. But most of last week was pretty bad from Tuesday onwards, and now today is a continuation of the same. Tomorrow looking similar too.

10 minutes ago, slater said:

Unfortunately we could be seeing 2 weeks of this…Unless a major change happens mid month, we could be on course for a bog standard normal UK July…

Standard? No, that'll be temps below normal and less sunshine hours than normal if this persists...

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Sunshine Table for June 2023-

Found more stations as the month progressed so I have both the old and new table.

Very good month for most places ☀️

Notes-

Found an amateur weather station in Eastbourne with a working sun recorder so now East Sussex will have more accurate results. 

A few of these new ones may not be so accurate so feel free to suggest other weather stations to me.

I have Cambridgeshire and Durham, only reason they're not included is because of missing data for the month.

Only missing 8 counties now!

- City of London (relying on some random weather station in the city so doubtful ill ever get this one)

- Greater Manchester 

- Hertfordshire 

- Merseyside 

- Rutland

- Tyne & Wear

- Warwickshire 

- Worcestershire 

If you know sun recording stations from these 8 counties, please link me so that we can have all 48 counties in the table ✌️

Could contain:

Could contain:

I see Staffordshire is bottom of the table.South Staffordshire is literally 5 minutes down the road from me. No wonder I didn't find June to be glorious. But shouldn't moan.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

June 2023 finished 3.6c above average here, making it the warmest June of this century by a country mile. It also finished with 240 hours of sunshine, leapfrogging May 2023 to become the second sunniest month I've recorded. 35% of average rainfall. A truly remarkable month with the most unfitting end possible!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

That run of 20°C+..

Screenshot2023-07-01000429.thumb.png.b8b9cd55e924c32eb9834aab306256b0.png

Possibly even more infuriating is that thanks to yesterday there is now no clear winner for the longest streak of 20c days in my area 😭

047B97C1-C348-454E-B2D3-6C5E0FE8C630.thumb.jpeg.7eec5075892a9134283f4cf0f13f7ab2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

As is unsurprising, it's dark outside with a light drizzle pattering against the window.

Of course, that must mean - partly cloudy! 

I know we've said on here many times about how the phone weather forecasts aren't accurate but it is quite laughable.

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
10 hours ago, saintkip said:

I f&ck in hope not

Doubt we'll see that again for years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Genuine request, are the rainy storms showing in the forecast  for UK 10 -13 July likely to verify? I will be doing field-work on the rocky shore of Gower and prob need to buy more adequate waterproofs if what I see coming turns out to be real. What a shame we couldn’t have run the trip in June 🙃