Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
38 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I'm holding onto the fact that Faversham recorded 38.5°C on August 10th 2003 and London had 5 consecutive days of low-to-mid 30s last August and hoping that summer returns to the SE in the next few weeks. Fortunately we have plenty of potential for hot weather even into September. But perhaps the clock is ticking for those further north to get proper summer warmth. 

It wouldn't take much for that extreme heat to get here. The 30C 850hPa line is in southern Spain, even a brief southerly flow and we'd be hitting the mid-30s with ease I imagine. There would be little moderation as the land to our south is parched and SSTs well above average.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, reef said:

It wouldn't take much for that extreme heat to get here. The 30C 850hPa line is in southern Spain, even a brief southerly flow and we'd be hitting the mid-30s with ease I imagine. There would be little moderation as the land to our south is parched and SSTs well above average.

Yep the heat is within touching distance. The issue is an entrenched synoptic pattern that won't draw in that hot air. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Goes from bad to worse. Payback for those beautiful sunny weeks in June. Wondering when payback will happen for the 3 grim months of Spring, though? 😂

Probably in November and December when we'll get 3/4 weeks of clear skies and temps of 14-18c 😆 Because that's exactly the time of year we want such patterns! 😑

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Anyone else cancelling holidays because of the European heat or is it just the media creating panic and feeding the snowflake generation?? Quite sure there have been far hotter heatwaves down there.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Fair enough. Glad this summer is at least fairing well for some! Us warmer/sun lovers lucked out last year, so by law of averages we were due a cooler summer this year

I am sorry you've not had anywhere near what could be called a great Summer, i know how both frustrating and disappointing  it is when a season lets you down....I get that ever year with Winters! Its 14 years now since a proper one! Fingers crossed something more akin to your liking arrives in August. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Probably in November and December when we'll get 3/4 weeks of clear skies and temps of 14-18c 😆 Because that's exactly the time of year we want such patterns! 😑

what's wrong with that in December better than the usual grey skies wind and rain

Posted
36 minutes ago, reef said:

We will need a southerly/southeasterly flow though and that has looked pretty unlikely to materialise in such a stagnant pattern. I can't remember a more entrenched pattern than this one.

Posted
8 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Quite sure there have been far hotter heatwaves down there.  

You seem to be missing the issue totally

_130419468_waterfountainitaly.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Parts of Sardinia and Sicily will be the hottest in Europe with highs of 46C or 47C.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Anyone else cancelling holidays because of the European heat or is it just the media creating panic and feeding the snowflake generation?? Quite sure there have been far hotter heatwaves down there.  

I doubt many are cancelling. People are probably thinking yes nice weather. Then getting there, and depending where, enjoying it, or if it does happen to be somewhere where it is a bit to much/somewhere near a wild fire, then regretting not cancelling.

Posted
39 minutes ago, danm said:

Yep the heat is within touching distance. The issue is an entrenched synoptic pattern that won't draw in that hot air. 

Most i suspect would say thank god!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

We will need a southerly/southeasterly flow though and that has looked pretty unlikely to materialise in such a stagnant pattern. I can't remember a more entrenched pattern than this one.

But the NH wave-5 pattern is very similar to what we saw last year; It just isn't in the right place this time. Sod's law!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

You seem to be missing the issue totally

_130419468_waterfountainitaly.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Parts of Sardinia and Sicily will be the hottest in Europe with highs of 46C or 47C.

Isn't it always 40c plus in Southern Europe? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
Just now, 38.7°C said:

No.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
12 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

There was some talk on Twitter expressing concern over the potential for extreme heat next month, I didn't think I'd see such concern again this year! There certainly does seem to be a likelihood that the heat will disperse into Northern Europe once the current pattern responds to tropical wind changes and the Jet Stream plateaus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 minute ago, 38.7°C said:

Looking lovely in Barcelona high 20’s lower 30’s 

That’s just about perfect and obviously not a chance in hell we not going 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, danm said:

I'm guessing about 3 people cancelled and the media have made sure to interview all 3 and use their quotes as scary headlines. 

It’s a protracted heatwave for sure, which I guess is the main issue. Nothing sells like fear, though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
7 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

All time records might not be broken, it is close though in that regard, and believe it or not temps in the high 30s and 40s isn't all that common right at the Med coasts, inland it is though, the coastal places have had this sort of heat for days on end now. It's more the persistence of this pattern in the central and eastern part of the Med that is the main thing really. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Its the protraction...to be honest i thought that would be obvious

2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s a protracted heatwave for sure, which I guess is the main issue. Nothing sells like fear, though

Nope, fear of wasting money sat in a hotel room sells though....which many are doing.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes it absolutely is. It's an intense heatwave and no doubt a sign of climate change, but the media do whip up the hysteria beyond all necessity. As usual. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Nope, fear of wasting money sat in a hotel room sells though....which many are doing.

Well, here I am sitting in my sitting room with my windies wide open, wondering why anyone would spend a holiday in Greece or Italy. Boil me alive! 😱

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

If you have access to a pool or the sea, plus an air conditioned room, then not such an issue

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

If you have access to a pool or the sea, plus an air conditioned room, then not such an issue

If not?......cancelled holiday? Many are. Many can't afford them.

Posted

Neighbours just returned from a three day (I kid you not!) jaunt to Corfu.  Complaining bitterly about the heat and how nobody warned them.  They kept asking what was causing all this, and it took great constraint to avoid telling them it was partially selfish bastards like themselves.  They were quite upset to find us sitting out in a sunny 22c sipping ouzo (much cheaper in Lidl than in Tesco BTW).

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

If not?......cancelled holiday? Many are. Many can't afford them.

WHat percentage of holidaymakers in the worst affected areas are actually cancelling their holidays? A tiny, tiny % i'd suspect. 

Just now, dryfie said:

Neighbours just returned from a three day (I kid you not!) jaunt to Corfu.  Complaining bitterly about the heat and how nobody warned them.  They kept asking what was causing all this, and it took great constraint to avoid telling them it was partially selfish bastards like themselves.  They were quite upset to find us sitting out in a sunny 22c sipping ouzo (much cheaper in Lidl than in Tesco BTW).

So families wanting their one holiday per year (in most cases) are selfish bastards? Ok then...

• Like 5