Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I’m probably just thinking of the 1961-1990 data as that’s what I grew up with as being ‘average’ and was the main data set used.

Can I just say, we'll done Crewe for admitting your mistake. A lot of the time people double down on here and it ends up with a page and a half of arguing! Quite refreshing.

Edited by Seasonal Trim
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
4 hours ago, IcySpicy said:

I do admit that our forecast for early August looks better than the UK. Then again, while I know it wont make up for a poor July and early August, I envy that you guys can still get proper hot weather in late August or early September and have mild temperatures even in October. Here in Estonia it usually starts cooling down mid to late August (with a few exceptions, last year's August was hot all the way until the end of the month and in 2018 the first week of September was also very summery), when the jetstream gets more active and those arctic lows start reaching us here at 59N. September is usually full autumn already and in mid/late October we usually get frost and the first snowfall of the season. But who knows... this year the jetstream has been messed up all summer, so maybe we will also get some record breaking warmth in late autumn.

Estonia has a decent climate. Funny thing is I'm related to Finno-Ugric peoples in that area as my Y-DNA is Haplogroup N, which probably got to the UK via the Norse or Flemish weavers or it could have got here earlier via other migration routes. I'm interested in family trees and all that kind of thing. 

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Last completely dry weekend here?

3rd/4th June. That's 8 weeks ago. Not sure even 2007 or 2012 managed a run like that!

Sums it all up really. Woeful.

A completely dire evening here. Ongoing drizzle, and so dark at 7pm I've put the lights on. 17c.

My fleece has gone on - first time I've done that in July (indoors) for as long as I can recall. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The forecast for the next week or so is obscene. Unchanging, relentless dross with temps below, and sometimes quite alot below, average maxes.

God-awful. I feel so sorry for all the children on their summer holidays, and of course all the families spending £000s on British staycations which will be completely ruined by this.

Nobody can claim this is good, or even close to average, unless they're some sort of masochist. 

It's not even a case of being "glass half full" by this point...there's optimism, then there's just delusion.

Could contain:

Exactly the same forecast up north, minus a few degrees. This has to be the longest period of subdued summer temperatures since 2007. Can't recall anything like it.. 

Screenshot_20230730-193102.thumb.png.3bb58a733c49fa49b54f89e1305d94f3.png

Edited by Frigid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 minute ago, Frigid said:

Exactly the same forecast up north, minus a few degrees. 

Screenshot_20230730-193102.thumb.png.3bb58a733c49fa49b54f89e1305d94f3.png

How does it feel living in Reykjavik without having to catch a plane!? 😁

• Like 3

Posted

Now that we are at the end of July, those of us who said the month was a write-off have been proved right. It was clear what was gonna happen and so it has. More of the same for August, methinks. I don't believe for a nano-second that it will get better in the latter part of August. Maybe September, but not August.  Worst summer I can remember (bar 2012).

7 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Isn't part of the fun of camping being out in all weather's battling the elements? 🤔 

No.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

Now that we are at the end of July, those of us who said the month was a write-off have been proved right. It was clear what was gonna happen and so it has. More of the same for August, methinks. I don't believe for a nano-second that it will get better in the latter part of August. Maybe September, but not August.  Worst summer I can remember (bar 2012).

No.

Well, it hasn't been a 'write-off' over here.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I thought you were in the UK.... oh well, my mistake 🤣

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, StingJet said:

What part of North Wales are you heading to Andy (approx)?

Near Colwyn Bay as a base to access Snowdonia, Anglesey etc and various castles.

I might join the Welsh regional thread in a few days time.

Been looking at the radar on recent days to get a jist of how different set ups play out in that area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

According to the 7-day forecast on Countryfile this evening, it is due to get a whole lot cooler with Northerly winds and the possibility of yet another wet and windy weekend next week!

Aye chilly, horrid

image.thumb.png.86e09e10c13efb73dce26e15f2b9cc3e.png

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

those of us who said the month was a write-off have been proved right. It was clear what was gonna happen and so it has

I had a hunch it'd turn out this way because these patterns get super locked in, they always do, but was mocked and dismissed with comments of "you got a crystal ball mate?" 

Well, evidently I did. Lol.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

In what regard? Not trying to pick sides here just genuinely curious as to how one can claim that k this July has been anything other than dire!?

There's been very, very little to smile about weather-wise for anyone other than the most avid lovers of cool, wet and cloudy conditions. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
46 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Or here, though today has been, and only about 4 others.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Another disgraceful summers day. 5 weeks of this rubbish now. I thought back in mid Jan when the azores high was in control that we would pay for it with a dire summer. So it is. 

Yep. And don't check the forecasts for the week coming either if you wanna retain your sanity...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Quite the sharp boundary there between front and clear skies, Scotland fairing well. 

Back in the UK in a few hours time. 

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I envy that you get snow. 😁

Hard to come by over here. Even a frost is hard to come by in some years.

It's true that our climate is quite good for snow and cold lovers. Although the darkness in winter is no joke. December sunsets are around 3:30 PM. And its very gloomy from October to February, just endless low level cloud unless we get a decent Scandi high. I think there are better snow climates, such as the mountain regions in central Europe, Canada/the Northern US, Hokkaido .

2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Estonia has a decent climate. Funny thing is I'm related to Finno-Ugric peoples in that area as my Y-DNA is Haplogroup N, which probably got to the UK via the Norse or Flemish weavers or it could have got here earlier via other migration routes. I'm interested in family trees and all that kind of thing. 

Oh thats interesting about your ancestry. Yeah, I think we have a decent climate if you are looking for variety and seasonality. And tbf its probably as good as it gets for the latitude. I just wish summers were slightly warmer and more reliable. I guess Northern Europe just got unlucky this year. I do worry though as climate change is causing these stuck patterns to become more frequent. A week or two of cold weather in high summer I can deal with, but it's sad to see all of July go to waste. Sure, we might get stuck on the warm side of the jet too, but Northern Europe will always be prone to troughing and its not great if these troughs are geting more stubborn.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, CharlieBear9 said:

No worries. I said exactly the same as you and got flak for it.

Yes, it makes sense now, sorry once again about earlier!

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Last completely dry weekend here?

3rd/4th June. That's 8 weeks ago. Not sure even 2007 or 2012 managed a run like that!

Good old Shrewsbury! 🤪

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I had a hunch it'd turn out this way because these patterns get super locked in, they always do, but was mocked and dismissed with comments of "you got a crystal ball mate?" 

Well, evidently I did. Lol.

Anyone who makes a prediction weeks ahead is at best making an educated guess and if they turn out right are almost entirely lucky. The weather just isn't that predictable in the UK.