Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

I’m crew. Part time now after 22 years (I also teach). Snow is a very difficult one for a UK airline lol, so many horrible dramas. Fog can be bad too, shame as I like snow and love fog

Just be glad you don’t have to deal with Bristol Airport! Snow, fog, cloud, wind… any of those and there are problems lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

nice morning here, plenty of blue sky but got some bubbly clouds around

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My Mum turns 58 on Saturday and looks like it will barely scrape 13C. Must be the coldest birthday she's ever had. Dreadful stuff.

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Don said:

Alright, 1.5C or below the 61-90 average then.  Too me that would class as a 'proper' cold month and these do still occur, albeit rarely!  We have not had a February with a greater cold anomaly than that since 1991.  

1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

What is your expectation for "cold"? Last year December had days where it was below freezing during the day, and numerous snow days. I have tonnes of snow photos on my phone from last December as it last nearly two weeks on the ground due to the cold conditions. Admittedly it didn't quite reach Christmas but it was a good, solid chunk of the month. I was quite happy with it! Made for some great Christmassy build up.sq

2018 had Beast From the East at the end...

We are a maritime climate, in the same way as people tell me I can't expect weeks of 25c and sunny weather in summer, is it not also unrealistic to expect weeks of snow and extreme cold when mild, wet and overcast weather is our 'default'?

Where have I said we have not had cold episodes recently or in the last few years?  I'm fully aware we have!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

2005 was decent and 2009 was the best out of those very poor summers near the end of the decade. But 09 suffered from a poor July, but we did get quite a few thundery periods.

Winters became better for a time, but I don’t like losing our summers to achieve snowy winter periods. 

I'm one for a good winter too so I did enjoy the snowy period during them years. I personally thought there seemed a decline in thundery weather but that may be down to a imby view, the s/e did seem to benefit well from good thundery periods.

• Like 1

Posted

The dreadful wet weather now causing sewage issues at a large number of beaches in the South West, incl popular summer vacation ones. Sewage overflows in 'operation' as normal sewage pipes cannot cope.

Yuk🙄

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

The dreadful wet weather now causing sewage issues at a large number of beaches in the South West, incl popular summer vacation ones. Sewage overflows in 'operation' as normal sewage pipes cannot cope.

Yuk🙄

The water companies must be delighted they can use that excuse for a change, rather than just dumping it in there anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
5 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Yuk🙄

Never fear, we'll probs be back on hosepipe bans after the few days of mid 20c and sunny temps that are impending for mid August. 

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely atrocious period of weather, as bad as anything from the poor summers period of the late 2000s & early 2010s. No redeeming features whatsoever. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
55 minutes ago, Nick L said:

My Mum turns 58 on Saturday and looks like it will barely scrape 13C. Must be the coldest birthday she's ever had. Dreadful stuff.

My mum turns 58 in December - her birthday could well be warmer than your mum’s birthday. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, having escaped rather lightly with July's grot, today is positively horrible: 17C and wall-to-wall grey! 👍

Posted

Not too bad here this morn. 17c, fairly cloudy but sun trying to poke through. Showers forecast this afters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
26 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Yuk🙄

hmm not good!
image.thumb.png.28b0c235cdda845b6c954a024b029928.png

https://www.sas.org.uk/water-quality/sewage-pollution-alerts/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 hours ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

We need to be mindful over the GFS and that it can make things worse than they are, I think it's better using Google for temps for your area personally.    

If I want to know if he temps for Saturday, in advance, won't even look till Friday, and then I normally think it'll be a degree higher.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

getting a bit much now, taking the wet, umpteenth weekend like this

image.thumb.png.9af1de30d45ec8528e1fbbbb3f29fd16.png

That looks a little different to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
36 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Not too bad here this morn. 17c, fairly cloudy but sun trying to poke through. Showers forecast this afters.

I personally could call 17c and mostly cloudy, with showers later on, as pretty bad for August! 

• Like 5

Posted

Looking forward to some warmth next week, just hope it lasts longer than 5 minutes so that my planned garden party on the 13th is dry and warm!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

Yuk🙄

Read an article the other day about the terrible state of our rivers now. Full of raw sewage, nappies, pharmaceuticals, etc. Many court cases against the water companies are being quietly dropped. Absolutely disgusting, what’s going on in the UK?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Read an article the other day about the terrible state of our rivers now. Full of raw sewage, nappies, pharmaceuticals, etc. Many court cases against the water companies are being quietly dropped. Absolutely disgusting, what’s going on in the UK?

But no, it's definitely the rain that's the problem. We never get rain in this country so it's completely unprecedented!

• Like 7

Posted
56 minutes ago, Summer18 said:

Absolutely atrocious period of weather, as bad as anything from the poor summers period of the late 2000s & early 2010s. No redeeming features whatsoever. 

You have to wonder if this is a turning point towards something colder this coming winter, but that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Its probably a similar picture to those late 80s summers that gave us cool summer weather, but also very mild winters.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Its probably a similar picture to those late 80s summers that gave us cool summer weather, but also very mild winters.

Worst possible combination.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

But no, it's definitely the rain that's the problem. We never get rain in this country so it's completely unprecedented!

I was shocked by the report, must admit. After all the hard work that’s gone on in the last few decades to improve water quality, seeing some very positive results with hitherto rare species making a comeback. The water companies are only allowed to discharge raw sewage when the pipes can’t cope, but they’re doing it all the time now (rain or no rain). Sickening. 

4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You have to wonder if this is a turning point towards something colder this coming winter, but that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Hope not, that’s just perma-autumn which the UK gets often enough anyway

Posted
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Just be glad you don’t have to deal with Bristol Airport! Snow, fog, cloud, wind… any of those and there are problems lol.

Heathrow (my base) is worse. It runs to 98% capacity so any weather issues and drama results. Crap planning really, and snow is the ultimate nightmare. I used to love snow so much but that’s been tempered somewhat after some awful situations with passengers 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I personally could call 17c and mostly cloudy, with showers later on, as pretty bad for August! 

I did say "Not too bad here this morn" - the clue's in the word "morn". And in the context of last few weeks that's what it is👍😁

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Never fear, we'll probs be back on hosepipe bans after the few days of mid 20c and sunny temps that are impending for mid August. 

I don't think they've stopped in areas that have them here in the se. Unfortunately it wasn't caused by shortages, just supply and demand, the pumps even at full strength couldn't get the water to everyone, while use was high, in June. So they put a hosepipe ban in so supply at pressure got to those who had only a trickle or nothing for a while.