Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
3 hours ago, laddie said:

Rubbish summer here carrying on from a cool north sea dominated spring, June was pretty cool until the last third, July one of the worst in my lifetime August tried to make amends but the damage has been done, low max  temperatures, cool nights wet July, so got to mark this one 3 out of 10 hopefully September will deliver as it often does in the east

Yeah, Summer 23 was definitely a bad one. For anyone who wanted normal sunny weather with nice warm evenings, well, they were in very short supply.

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

I'm not in any way telling people what to do, but people ought to be more mindful of me and some of my ways.  Have never mentioned these things until now where I have felt that it needs to be addressed.   This isn't at you at all.   

Sorry to hear this chap. It's important that you let folks know because if you don't they can't adjust their behaviour accordingly to take account of it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Thank you for letting me know. I’ve not interacted with you much before and I’ll bear it in mind. I haven’t noticed anything weird. Think quite a few of us on here are somewhere along that spectrum 

Yeah there does seem to be quite a few on this forum with Autism or Asperger's as it's not the first time it's been mentioned, loads of times actually. I haven't had a diagnosis myself but I do wonder if those who do take even more of a keen interest in the weather? 

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Sorry to hear this chap. It's important that you let folks know because if you don't they can't adjust their behaviour accordingly to take account of it. 

Plus HOW we need to adjust behaviour

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Not just summer, but it's been mostly a poor year if you like seasonal weather. Only January and June felt seasonal on the most part.

January had alternating periods of autumnal and wintry spells. A fairly typical UK winter month really.

February felt more like spring (not a fan of false springs personally as winter often arrives with a vengeance when it's no longer welcome)

March was more like winter (I don't mind wintry weather early on in March and I enjoyed the snow event, but spring was very delayed this year)

April and the first half of May felt more like autumn, though the second half of May saw a huge improvement.

June did feel like summer on the most part and the best month for seasonal weather so far this year.

Enough said about July the better.

August has been a huge improvement over July but nothing to shout about.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted

I am ranking 2023 as a more mediocre one
June - 10/10, an awesome month, loved it. Got clsoe to 30c on two occasions, on the 10th-12th and on the 25th. A fascinating T-Storm on the 18th
July - 3/10, very wet, dull and cool. The only saving grace was the one hot day on the 7th, and the T-Stormso n the 8th. And some mediocre days, like the 13th, 19th and 29th. Otherwise just dire
August - 7/10 (at a push) - The first 5 days were poor, especially that 12c on the 5th. After that, we seen lots of warm sunshine, and got a 27c on the 10th. A good hailstorm on the 26th too. The next 4 days looks not too bad. I still feel like this month could be better off as a September, but this would do

Edited by baddie
  • Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Desperate 6 months really if you like warm sunny weather like me. 2 and a half weeks in June and some half hearted stuff in August and that's about it. Autumn needs to deliver some pay back. 

There was still another 2 weeks in May, and 1 week (approx) in April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Yeah there does seem to be quite a few on this forum with Autism or Asperger's as it's not the first time it's been mentioned, loads of times actually. I haven't had a diagnosis myself but I do wonder if those who do take even more of a keen interest in the weather? 

I think so, seems to be the case. I’ve not been diagnosed either but when I’ve read about signs or symptoms there are quite a few ticks.

I will say that I know what I like and don’t like, weather-wise, and will say so on here (as everyone should be able to) without being told I’m wrong, overreacting, irrational, etc. Weather has been such a huge interest since I was a boy and it often has a big impact on my mind and emotions. I think it always will 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very wet here for the last 36 hours or so with much more rain to come. Just 16°C so definitely feeling like the season is changing. Though from Friday back up to 24-25°C, until further notice 👍🏻 Hopefully a nice Indian summer to enjoy this year in October. 

• Like 1

Posted

Granted it’s been a mostly decent if cool weekend locally and Bank Holiday Monday is glorious at the moment, however why would this summer end any other way than this …

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

They certainly take a keen interest in something, my son for the minute likes dinosaurs, watches anything he can find on them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
10 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Yes I am one of those. I blame it for my freak eidetic memory of stats no one cares for and unhealthy obsession of snow! 

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 4

Posted

Distant storms here. The country has been hit by a few thunderstorms yesterday and today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Huh?

I posted it was sunny in sheffield, you disagreed.......do you just click disagree when you see my name?🤣

Edited by markyo
  • Like 4

Posted

Cold, windy, and horrible. 19c. Kids keep leaving the front door open running back and forth to the park so the temperature has dropped indoors too. Grrr!

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Cold, windy, and horrible. 19c. Kids keep leaving the front door open running back and forth to the park so the temperature has dropped indoors too. Grrr!

That's tropical! Hit 16 here and no rain!! Mostly cloudy  but hopefully the start of a dry spell.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Looking at the cloud radar most of Europe is cloudy/overcast except for Central Iberia southwards, Balkans and Ukraine. This got me wondering randomly what factors make Europe cloudy away from the Med that I am missing. I would say from what I can see being surrounded by sea on 3 sides (Basically a peninsula of Eurasia), exposed to the Atlantic during any kind of westerly be it Swly, Wly or NWly, no north/south mountain chains to block Atlantic cloud and rain (No natural barriers for rain and cloud between the Atlantic and the Urals) and the high latitude with a large chunk of Europe being north of 45N meaning lower sun angle and shorter days in the winter so less cloud burn off. 

Compare to say North America which has overall higher sunshine away from the Great Lakes, Atlantic Canada and west coast north of say Eureka CA, they have the Rockies and Cascades to block cloudy Pacific airmasses from going over the landmass and more land overall around rather than sea. Winnipeg has 2350 sunshine hours a year while Ukraine at a similar latitude and distance from the sea has about 1800-2000 a year. If there was no Rockies Winnipeg would probably have about 1800-1900 sunshine hours a year. 

Edited by Catbrainz
  • Like 1

Posted

Why is it always cold at this time of year?! Well I don’t know about always but it seems to be a common theme for the last few days of August to regularly be colder than average. Last year was warm but 2021 and 2020 were really dull and chilly around now and I remember 2015 and 2012 were really cold in late August.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
Just now, TheOgre said:

Why is it always cold at this time of year?! Well I don’t know about always but it seems to be a common theme for the last few days of August to regularly be colder than average. Last year was warm but 2021 and 2020 were really dull and around now and I remember 2015 and 2012 were really cold in late August.

Likely a unlucky coincidence but the arctic vortex does start to form about this time of year and with the Arctic crossing over into long night and cooling down any kind of northerly influence can become outright chilly compared to say mid July. Today appears to be a NWly Pm airmass from Greenland which is a fair bit cooler than it would be in high summer. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
16 hours ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Aspergers syndrome @stainesblokeand I can be weird at times, but at least I have said so it's helpful to you guys and girls.   Hopefully we can see some compensation in September, question is when?

We all can be weird at times, your Asperger's will probably mean your far more intelligent than many of us on here! (i certainly include myself). I work with 2 guys with the same syndrome, they run rings round me on tech issues. I look it as a gift not a issue in anyway.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
17 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Looking at the cloud radar most of Europe is cloudy/overcast except for Central Iberia southwards, Balkans and Ukraine. This got me wondering randomly what factors make Europe cloudy away from the Med that I am missing. I would say from what I can see being surrounded by sea on 3 sides (Basically a peninsula of Eurasia), exposed to the Atlantic during any kind of westerly be it Swly, Wly or NWly, no north/south mountain chains to block Atlantic cloud and rain (No natural barriers for rain and cloud between the Atlantic and the Urals) and the high latitude with a large chunk of Europe being north of 45N meaning lower sun angle and shorter days in the winter so less cloud burn off. 

Compare to say North America which has overall higher sunshine away from the Great Lakes, Atlantic Canada and west coast north of say Eureka CA, they have the Rockies and Cascades to block cloudy Pacific airmasses from going over the landmass and more land overall around rather than sea. Winnipeg has 2350 sunshine hours a year while Ukraine at a similar latitude and distance from the sea has about 1800-2000 a year. If there was no Rockies Winnipeg would probably have about 1800-1900 sunshine hours a year. 

Not sure, looking east, blue sky, would be in the north sea. But yep I think the wind does pick up moisture and cause cloud, so perhaps no cloud over the sea it's self makes sense.

Posted
20 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Why is it always cold at this time of year?! Well I don’t know about always but it seems to be a common theme for the last few days of August to regularly be colder than average. Last year was warm but 2021 and 2020 were really dull and chilly around now and I remember 2015 and 2012 were really cold in late August.

Yeah the east was chilly in late August 2020, while we stayed in Reading. August bank holiday in 2021 was similar.

2022 bucked the trend and was nice and warm, although it was becoming cooler by this stage. I remember a few thunderstorms overnight during this time last year.