Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Ever feel left out!?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map

Oh my word. Shall we all move to Finland? Or perhaps the tropical climes of Lithuania or Poland? 

I'll definitely be taking a trip somewhere outside of this godforsaken island if this model materialises

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
22 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Met Office writing off the first half of May by the looks of things:

"On Sunday, a band of rain and patchy cloud should push northeastwards bringing low cloud around many western facing coastlines. Showers will develop during many afternoons; these showers have the potential to turn heavy with some hail and thunder at times across the UK. Some mist and fog are expected overnight. As we move into May, milder and relatively humid conditions will continue to affect much of the UK, with colder conditions hanging on in the far northeast of Scotland. It is likely to turn more unsettled and changeable by the end of this period with higher likelihood of rain especially across central and southern parts. Temperatures becoming close to average for this time of year."

and for the 10th-24th, it only gives evens chances of fine weather:

"Remaining unsettled and changeable for the early part of this period. Confidence in the forecast is low as we move into the second half of May, with fairly equal chances of fine or changeable weather. Lower than usual chances of any significant windy spells, and temperatures are more likely to be above average overall."

A pathetic joke of a "spring" in a pathetic joke of a year. Let's just throw 2023 in the bin right now, fast-forward to March 1 2024 and start again.

Don't wish your life away........😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

To very honest mate its not been constantly overcast and wet where i live, good degree of blue skies days . as i type for instance. 

That’s good, maybe in Sheffield it’s not been too bad. Much worse in London and here too, grim. Need more sunshine now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
33 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I just hope May is nice here. The in-laws will be visiting from Australia for a month and it’s their first time in the Czech Republic. If spring continues in this grim vein, it’ll seriously hamper what we’re able to do. There are low temperature warnings for this week, enough already

Hope so too.

Talking of Australia, I suspect the weather in even Melbourne in May will be better than it will be in the UK. 😉

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
40 minutes ago, al78 said:

The weather does seem to have been in full-on troll mode in the 2020's. Beautiful spring weather when we were locked down, a poor spring this year when there seems to be nothing but doom and gloom and people could do with an emotional uplift, and a summer which was way over the top for heat last year.

Indeed, the 2020s have generally been near-constantly unsettled and changeable here. The only two really notable exceptions were, as you say, mid-March to end-May 2020 (lockdown) and July/August 2022 (which I missed, being out of the country!)

My perception of 2020s weather has been constant cloudy and often damp weather with mostly flat-lining temperatures, varying relatively little between winter and summer (Jul/Aug 2022 being the obvious exception).

55 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Christ. You may as well go to Latvia, Poland or Romania instead!!

Funny you say that, my partner is in Lithuania currently. She got there Friday just gone had 4days of clear blue skies and temps of 20-22C, it was all finished off yesterday with a two hour severe thunderstorm which for the time of year was apparently very unusual. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

To very honest mate its not been constantly overcast and wet where i live, good degree of blue skies days . as i type for instance. 

Cloudy and 8c here

27 minutes ago, Dusk1983 said:

5 days from May and had my heating on low all night. 9 am and 6 degrees. Simply atrocious.

Yup sweet! My heating is on as we speak!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Oh my word. Shall we all move to Finland? Or perhaps the tropical climes of Lithuania or Poland? 

I'll definitely be taking a trip somewhere outside of this godforsaken island if this model materialises

Same story as usual, better off going to Greece for snow in winter and Lapland for sun and warmth in summer. Genuinely hate our climate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 25/04/2023 at 07:34, SunSean said:

When did I say I want boiling hot temps? I don't give a rats a** about how hot it gets, just let it be sunny! I loved April 2021 for example- was that a sweaty humdinger of a month?? Don't know why coldies hate the sunshine so much!

I loved spring 2020 in general, but obviously not the actual lockdown side of things. However it gave me plenty of time to sort out my garden and then use it. 

On 25/04/2023 at 07:50, ANYWEATHER said:

GMTV well we know it’s pants but reporting of low reservoir levels in the West Country? 🤣What the hell is going on? 🤣🤣🤣

They are still low,from last year's heatwave unfortunately.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 25/04/2023 at 07:34, SunSean said:

When did I say I want boiling hot temps? I don't give a rats a** about how hot it gets, just let it be sunny! I loved April 2021 for example- was that a sweaty humdinger of a month?? Don't know why coldies hate the sunshine so much!

I think coldies are opposed to warm/hot weather rather than sunshine. They may like sunny days during the winter (last December for example), but not so much during the summer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

I loved spring 2020 in general, but obviously not the actual lockdown side of things. However it gave me plenty of time to sort out my garden and then use it. 

Yes people say it was wasted but imagine going through that 1st lockdown with this year's Spring climate. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

They are still low,from last year's heatwave unfortunately.

There are no excuses 

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Don’t forget it’s tree pollen at the moment, grass pollen won’t get going for several weeks yet. 

Also ones susceptibility to pollens can change as you get older. I have been more affected by tree pollen this Spring than previously.

I get it all year round these days, not sure what triggers it in winter, but it's there but not as bad as in spring summer and autumn 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
50 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Cloudy and 8c here

Yup sweet! My heating is on as we speak!

Scattered clouds and warm Spring sun here.....must be a case of the sun shines on the righteous! 😉

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I do wonder where the rain is falling because after a fairly wet March, the ground has dried up well here.

Here in the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
10 hours ago, SunSean said:

Yeah, I agree with you. That SSW was liquid ecstasy for the coldies as it ensured complete low pressure domination for a whole season and possibly longer. This is their "best Spring ever" and if this garbage keeps on going, they'll get their "best summer ever" too! If that ends up being the case then to compensate, I'll pray for all 3 winter months being like February 2019 please (My fave winter month of all time but a coldies nightmare).

I loved February 2019!! January 2022 and February 2023 also some nice sunny recent winter months. Also found December 2015 quite interesting just for how mild it was. I like snow but I prefer a sunny dry winter just for the mental boost it gives you.

I guess the coldies are having their way now but I will always find Christmas 2021 in the models really funny as so much cold was promised then taken away just a few days before. Then we had a lovely mild dry New Year, the mildest on record widespread 15C, sunny where I was as well! Jan 1st 2022 felt very springlike and definitely set the tone for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't see how there has been a lack of sun this month. Last month was full, but this month, most places are somewhere around average for sunshine. My local weather station has recorded 78% of the average sun, with a few days left. Heathrow 75%, Nottingham 82%, Yeovilton 76%. Realistically unless we have no sun in the next few days at all, then the bulk of England will end up over 90 percent, which is about average. There is no evidence to say it's been the dull cloudfest I'm reading about on this forum. The lack of hot days seems to have seriously skewed perception. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

No doubt this has been a terrible Spring so far when it comes to warmth. I was looking back at a few photos from April last year and we had plenty of warm, sunny weather. Some photos popped up when I went to watch Liverpool at the FA Cup semi final at Wembley last April, and it was glorious. 20c and sunny. Just a reminder that we can get good Spring weather:

Could contain: People, Person, Urban, City, Shoe, Walking, Adult, Male, Man, Jeans

Could contain: Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Male, Man, Crowd, Arena, People, Stadium

Spring is one of those seasons here in the UK that is very fickle. We've had some great Spring's (2007, 2020, 2022) and some really poor one's (2008, 2013, 2023 so far). You can never rely on the weather in Spring in the UK. Northern blocking is more common, and the recent SSW hasn’t helped. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Speaking of the SSW, what does it really stand for?

Sudden Sunshine Withdrawal?

Self Sustaining Winter?

Somber Soulless Weather?

Spring Sadly Wasted?

Any others? Lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I don't see how there has been a lack of sun this month. Last month was full, but this month, most places are somewhere around average for sunshine. My local weather station has recorded 78% of the average sun, with a few days left. Heathrow 75%, Nottingham 82%, Yeovilton 76%. Realistically unless we have no sun in the next few days at all, then the bulk of England will end up over 90 percent, which is about average. There is no evidence to say it's been the dull cloudfest I'm reading about on this forum. The lack of hot days seems to have seriously skewed perception. 

I think that’s the issue most places will see little to almost no sun until the month is out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

Yes people say it was wasted but imagine going through that 1st lockdown with this year's Spring climate. 

As I live in a flat, I would've preferred the weather to have been wet and cold as it would've made being locked inside more bearable. As it was warm and sunny it was wasted for me.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I think that’s the issue most places will see little to almost no sun until the month is out. 

I see sunny spells on my forecast on the BBC, especially for the last couple days of the month. It would be unusual to have 6 days of solid cloud at the end of April, though it could happen of course. 

4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Are people moaning about the temp or about the constant rain, dullness and lack of consecutive dry days though? For the latter measure this spring is definitely in the "top" 5 !

If May was about 1C below normal but drier and sunnier than normal I'd certainly quit moaning. 😉

not looking likely based on the latest gfs output just a few dry days at the beginning of the month