Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Emergency Alerts - GOV.UK service

Jo Farrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The new service to mobiles and tablets will be tested on Sunday 23rd april 2023

another way to receive UK warnings about the most serious incidents flooding Wildfires severe weather

Adobewildfirealert.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Emergency Alerts about the most serious weather conditions, severe flooding or major wildfires will be sent to mobile phones and tablets in the UK. There will be a test of the service on Sunday April 23rd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm hoping that should I turn off my phone until that malarkey has been and gone, it'll still work when I turn it on again... What a waste of time! 😁

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
10 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I'm hoping that should I turn off my phone until that malarkey has been and gone, it'll still work when I turn it on again... What a waste of time! 😁

Me too.  If that goes off I’ll be scraping me and the cats off the ceiling 😅

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Another step forward to a controlled society 🤣

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
42 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

It's optional, even though most people don't know about it. I opted out a while back on my Android phone > settings > type in emergency alerts > disable what is there. As long as I'm not out and about and a crowd of peoples phones start buzzing at the same time it should be a peaceful day otherwise it'll bring my tinnitus to the next level! 😬Can always enable it again in the future if I want to do that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

I turned this off as soon as I became aware of it I’ve managed 56 years without needing it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I have no problem with it. It's staying on mine, could prove useful later on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I don't get what the big huh-ha is about with this.   It's a cost-effective way for the Government to transmit messaging and safe lives etc, i.e. extreme weather (Cumbria Floods, Dec 2010 etc)

Say a certain word, and your phone will be listened to for a very long time by GCHQ.....

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I don't get what the big huh-ha is about with this.   It's a cost-effective way for the Government to transmit messaging and safe lives etc, i.e. extreme weather (Cumbria Floods, Dec 2010 etc)

Say a certain word, and your phone will be listened to for a very long time by GCHQ.....

I agree with the first part, and don't really care about the second, if they want to listen to my boring life, they'll just be wasting money lol. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I am more referring to the part about people saying they don't want the government to control them.

They already have laws in place since 9/11 and 7/7 that enable them to monitor, track and listen to what you are doing.

4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I agree with the first part, and don't really care about the second, if they want toieten toy boring life, they'll just be wasting money lol. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Would this be the same HMG that told us Covid would be over by Easter 2020? Excuse me, for being sceptical!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I am more referring to the part about people saying they don't want the government to control them.

They already have laws in place since 9/11 and 7/7 that enable them to monitor, track and listen to what you are doing.

Well, they can surveil me as much as they like, but they'll be bored to tears! 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Simply no long trust anything that comes from the government, WhatsApp  looks like  it could be banned due to its end to end encryption  and ridiculous amounts of CCTV spying on your everyday activities,I’ve had enough of nanny state and it’s ridiculous notions for our safety 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I can't see what the issue is. There are settings to turn it off if for some reason you don't want it. Folk seem to forget we've had a similar system for over 40 years now for broadcast signals...nobodies been up in arms about that. Its just the same just different technology. Just one more thing for folk to moan about on the internet.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Scuba steve said:

Simply no long trust anything that comes from the government, WhatsApp  looks like  it could be banned due to its end to end encryption  and ridiculous amounts of CCTV spying on your everyday activities,I’ve had enough of nanny state and it’s ridiculous notions for our safety 

Well, I couldn't give a toss, TBH. If HMG wants to waste its time surveilling me, they'll be missing what matters... But that's their loss, not mine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

This was one when I was on the Canadian Storm Chase tour, for a Tornado warning. More a way of life in some States.

Could contain: Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Computer, Tablet Computer

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

A mobile phone to save your life ,how the hell did our ancestors survive....😂

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Scuba steve said:

1 hour ago, markyo said:

I can't see what the issue is. There are settings to turn it off if for some reason you don't want it. Folk seem to forget we've had a similar system for over 40 years now for broadcast signals...nobodies been up in arms about that. Its just the same just different technology. Just one more thing for folk to moan about on the internet.

Exactly, you get a special news starting if you need to know something, it'll be on local radios too, yet getting a warning on the phone eqalls government control. Personally I don't get it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

I hope it is still end-to-end encrypted otherwise that is me spooned😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

I hope it is still end-to-end encrypted otherwise that is me spooned😂

What does encrypted end to end mean? I do use WhatsApp for msg family and friends from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

The gov will backtrack on that part of the online safety bill if enough tech/social media companies threaten to withdraw from the UK. If fb withdraws thousands of jobs will be lost as many businesses use it for advertising. If Google threatened to pull out millions of jobs would be in danger, they'll have no option but to amend it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

What does encrypted end to end mean? I do use WhatsApp for msg family and friends from time to time.

No third party can nose in on your discussions or intercept your messages.

• Like 2