Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Emergency Alerts - GOV.UK service

Jo Farrow

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Just now, lassie23 said:

No third party can nose in on your discussions or intercept your messages.

I see, thanks lassie 👍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

What does encrypted end to end mean? I do use WhatsApp for msg family and friends from time to time.

Basically only those you are talking to see the message, it's encrypted so it's very difficult for someone else to get acces unless they crack the encryption, and that'll probably be different for every message.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

A mobile phone to save your life ,how the hell did our ancestors survive....😂

They didn't...

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

A mobile phone to save your life ,how the hell did our ancestors survive....😂

Yeah to be honest I've cut back a lot on "modern living" over the past 5 years or so. I don't have Facebook, what's app, telegram, tik tok and all the rest of it. Last time I used Facebook was about 6 years ago. Little boy face Zuckerberg won't like that but so what his junk is nothing but a data harvester. Probably the biggest out there. Bored me to tears reading people's "perfect" lives when in reality I know for sure they are anything but 😂 most of it is just bs to try and "out do" other people on their "friends" list. And that can't be good for mental health, maybe this has been a factor in rising rates of poor mental health over the last decade in western countries? I know for me personally I'm far happier the less apps and social media I use. Ignorance really is bliss at times.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Yeah to be honest I've cut back a lot on "modern living" over the past 5 years or so. I don't have Facebook, what's app, telegram, tik tok and all the rest of it. Last time I used Facebook was about 6 years ago. Little boy face Zuckerberg won't like that but so what his junk is nothing but a data harvester. Probably the biggest out there. Bored me to tears reading people's "perfect" lives when in reality I know for sure they are anything but 😂 most of it is just bs to try and "out do" other people on their "friends" list. And that can't be good for mental health, maybe this has been a factor in rising rates of poor mental health over the last decade in western countries? I know for me personally I'm far happier the less apps and social media I use. Ignorance really is bliss at times.

Lol, I use it to share wildlife pic's, it good for that, you won't see anything about my life on there ever. Lots of arguments in groups, about a certain political event though, and had to unfollow but not unfriend a few people for some nasty stuff they were posting at that time on their pages. But it's not that bad, you don't have to have your friends lives on your feed if you don't want to. Used to play games on face book years ago, and follow some chasers that stream on face book, so have quite a global friends list 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
11 hours ago, lassie23 said:

No third party can nose in on your discussions or intercept your messages.

I'm afraid if it's Internet or telecom based ,yes unfortunately it can be intercepted, the world of Big Brother is here......😟😟😟😟😧

• Like 3

Posted

Maybe worth a read for anyone wondering about the alerts and what they're all about.

SEI_149503426.jpg?w=1200&h=675&crop=1
INEWS.CO.UK

In 10 seconds, you’ll know the sound to listen out for in a real emergency and be able to return to your day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The only issue with whatsapp is facebook hoovering the info up.

Back to the original subject not a bad idea as long as it isn't abused and you start getting too many messages so people turn the system off.

• Like 1

Posted

I cant see what the fuss is about, quite frankly.

Maybe those who object to HMG are just finding something else to moan about🙄.

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, The PIT said:

The only issue with whatsapp is facebook hoovering the info up.

Back to the original subject not a bad idea as long as it isn't abused and you start getting too many messages so people turn the system off.

I doubt we'll hardly hear it, apart from other tests to be honest. Like this one if there was to be another test, say same time next year, we'll know in advance. Hopefully we hear nothing in-between test, as that'll mean something is happening.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

I cant see what the fuss is about, quite frankly.

Maybe those who object to HMG are just finding something else to moan about🙄.

I'm not quite sure about that, else I wouldn't be for it lol. Some people I think just have trust issues, the vib I'm getting from comments against.

Posted

It's all fun and games until a warning is issued erronously or without prior-notice, i'm thinking of Hawaii residents a few years ago when they thought N.Korea had fired a ICBM in their direction. Mine is turned off because there's no need for it in the UK other than Terrorist/War threats (by which time it'll have been too late anyway.) I'd like to know how much this system has cost the taxpayer and what justification there is for it when that same money could have gone into the NHS and actually saved lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

It's all fun and games until a warning is issued erronously or without prior-notice, i'm thinking of Hawaii residents a few years ago when they thought N.Korea had fired a ICBM in their direction. Mine is turned off because there's no need for it in the UK other than Terrorist/War threats (by which time it'll have been too late anyway.) I'd like to know how much this system has cost the taxpayer and what justification there is for it when that same money could have gone into the NHS and actually saved lives.

Not sure money wise how much it cost tbf, your certainly right about the NHS, not sure you're right about it not being needed. Go back to last year a hot day with out of control fires, I'm pretty sure if that happens again, perhaps worse you'd like to know if it heading your way, before it's close enough to see. Depending on wind speed fires can spread pretty quick.

I'm not sure they could have got an advance warning out to that village that got a flood rushing down the rd when it got stuck under a thunderstorm a few years back though. Some things are just to instant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Interesting that the US are sending out the exact same emergency alerts, a lot saying they received them yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

US Alerts

• Like 1

Posted

I like how it says 'no action is required' except anyone who hasn't already turned this off in the options will be 'required' to acknowledge they've recieved the alert before being able to use their phone again. Also no word on how this is going to impact in-build phone SatNavs on the day.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Dreckly said:

Interesting that the US are sending out the exact same emergency alerts, a lot saying they received them yesterday.

They've had them for years in the states, they have tests every now and then, to make sure it's working right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
23 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

They didn't...

Aye not many around these days 😂💀

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
23 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

I see, thanks lassie 👍

I use it for business don’t want anyone snooping on my mostly legal activities 😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

On the actual topic of this thread... I'll leave the alert on for the 23rd and then see how it goes. If the authorities do the sensible thing and really do use this only for very urgent situations, then I'll leave it on. If they start using it every time there's a chance of 60 mph gusts or something, then I'll switch it off with no regrets.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

On the actual topic of this thread... I'll leave the alert on for the 23rd and then see how it goes. If the authorities do the sensible thing and really do use this only for very urgent situations, then I'll leave it on. If they start using it every time there's a chance of 60 mph gusts or something, then I'll switch it off with no regrets.

I agree there, don't need alerts every five minutes for nothing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

So what would be a suitable event for these alerts? In NAM, they are for tornado warnings in specific areas. iNews article spoke of a chemical spill. Alexis- there was Boscastle flash flooding 2004. Wildfires? These alerts are location specific and will give advice on what to do next. Not hearsay. Not social media nonsense and speculation. Hopefully considered, official steps with good local knowledge to enable people to make their own good or better decisions.

This is about resilience. That the risk of severe weather events is increasing, and people have to prepare and decide what to do. Some will need to just be rescued, but others may need to just help themselves. To move location, close windows, stay put. People might be on holiday in an unfamiliar area, out on the moors/hills, or using the tube network.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Just a reminder that we are part of the 'ground Zero' for the formation of funnel clouds....I'm not calling for an F4 in central London any time soon but if the energy available in the atmosphere is on the up & up then surely such an evolution is to be expected as we allow ourselves to drift ever deeper into our Climate Crisis?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Settings > Notifications > Alerts Off ✅

Job done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
14 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Just a reminder that we are part of the 'ground Zero' for the formation of funnel clouds....I'm not calling for an F4 in central London any time soon but if the energy available in the atmosphere is on the up & up then surely such an evolution is to be expected as we allow ourselves to drift ever deeper into our Climate Crisis?

Not really the thread to talk about climate or tornadoes.  😂

6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Settings > Notifications > Alerts Off ✅

Job done. 

Thanks mate ,I,ll be doing the same, really wouldn't want that alert to wake me up on a Sunday afternoon, unless their giving out  £50 notes 😁😂

• Like 1