Cold?
IGNORED

Emergency Alerts - GOV.UK service

Jo Farrow

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not sure our systems update quick enough for weather warnings. Often warnings are still up there when nothing is happening.  Another problem if you're out of the location but travelling towards it you may not get the alert and mobile signal in a lot places is fairly poor still as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 21/04/2023 at 10:38, ANYWEATHER said:

Not really the thread to talk about climate or tornadoes.  😂

Thanks mate ,I,ll be doing the same, really wouldn't want that alert to wake me up on a Sunday afternoon, unless their giving out  £50 notes 😁😂

Well if a big tornado that is causing damage comes along, a warning, for now anyway, to stay inside away from Windows until the storm passes would be good. There have been a few such tornadoes in recent years in this country.

Posted
On 21/04/2023 at 10:50, The PIT said:

Not sure our systems update quick enough for weather warnings. Often warnings are still up there when nothing is happening.  Another problem if you're out of the location but travelling towards it you may not get the alert and mobile signal in a lot places is fairly poor still as well.

Our weather warning don't agreed, but they do have a quicker system for events, I just lost the link for it, unless they've stoped it. Weather warning page won't be where the alerts come from, it'll be from the met them selve monitoring, the people who monitor water levels, the police if there's something going on in your area you need to know about, and stay away from, the fire department, etc etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Anyone see the false alarm alert in Hawaii in 2018 about incoming missile attacks ,when it goes wrong it goes wrong spectacularly 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I imagine very localised flood warnings could be a useful aspect of this service. 

Well if I get flooded we need noah to drop by.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Well if a big tornado that is causing damage comes along, a warning, for now anyway, to stay inside away from Windows until the storm passes would be good. There have been a few such tornadoes in recent years in this country.

I think the idea of a Nanny State sweeping away any common sense is more likely than an EF4 tornado in the UK 😀

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I think the idea of a Nanny State sweeping away any common sense is more likely than an EF4 tornado in the UK 😀

I believe we have had about 4 EF4 tornadoes in the U.K. in the last 1000 years ,lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Well if I get flooded we need noah to drop by.

You'll need all the help you'll get, considering you don't get any in this country these days in a lot of walks of life, yet we have this emergency alert thing tomorrow which they think will be helpful.

Righty-ho 🤔

Posted
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Hmm, so we could potentially be all dead by 3:05pm tomorrow afternoon.

Oh well, I’m halfway through my dayshift by then lol.

Lol honestly, it's a test, there won't be the type of emergency this is designed for tomorrow, obviously so e unlucky people will have so e sort of emergency, hopefully not serious but it'll be nothing to do with this. Pmsl. I really do not understand the fear from some, ps I do know you are joking about.

Posted
7 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Lol, who said anything about an f4, we've had plenty of smaller ones causing slight damage, but enough for people out and about to get into trouble with flying bricks,wood, tree branches. Why stay inside away from Windows is enough 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Alerts turned off 👍😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I'm leaving mine on, more out of curiosity. If its useful and helps then I don't see the issue myself. I don't think it'll be that common to get alerts however as we don't really get that much life threatening situations do we? 

Those who say that the Gov't are snooping.. they're always listening anyway. And if it's not the Gov't, it's the companies that own the devices that ARE always listening anyway. Alexa and siri are known to always be listening even when not interacting.  Algorithms now a days, tailored adverts. For example; I was googling for a new matress a few weeks ago on my phone. Few days later watching YouTube all the ads mid video suddenly are all about mattresses or bedding. Coincidence? 😉

• Like 3

Posted

It is pretty limited the use of this system in the UK, we are lucky that natural events that do happen are less severe than in other parts of the world

Earthquakes, active volcanoes (we don't have any), tsunamis, tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires, whirlwinds.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It is pretty limited the use of this system in the UK, we are lucky that natural events that do happen are less severe than in other parts of the world

Earthquakes, active volcanoes (we don't have any), tsunamis, tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires, whirlwinds.

I hate to be 'that guy' but the UK does have active volcanoes, not mainland at least but on the oversea territories of Montserrat & South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, UKSnakey said:

I'm leaving mine on, more out of curiosity. If its useful and helps then I don't see the issue myself. I don't think it'll be that common to get alerts however as we don't really get that much life threatening situations do we? 

Those who say that the Gov't are snooping.. they're always listening anyway. And if it's not the Gov't, it's the companies that own the devices that ARE always listening anyway. Alexa and siri are known to always be listening even when not interacting.  Algorithms now a days, tailored adverts. For example; I was googling for a new matress a few weeks ago on my phone. Few days later watching YouTube all the ads mid video suddenly are all about mattresses or bedding. Coincidence? 😉

Even we can track our own phones if they get lost stolen etc, so I don't get how people don't realise should they want to the government could track any phone easily. This alarm has nothing to do with tracking phones or hacking phones, the former also applies here. It'll be useful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

well my phone beeped into life at 3pm and my daughters 

hubby's didn't (nothing turned off/changed)

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Nothing here. 😕

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

just sounded like a tornado warning you hear on the weather channel

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Seriously a load of moaning and fuss over nothing, folk need to get a life.

• Like 5

Posted

Nothing for me! I'm feeling disappointed ... And I'm using my phone right now ... Hubby complained it was a minute early on his 😂

5 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Nothing here. 😕

Me either!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Nothing here in Liverpool