Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What would be your year from Hell?

SunSean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I did one for an ideal year but now, how about a year from Hell??

Again, using only the last 12 full years from 2011 to 2022 and only 1 month from each year (All 12 years have to be used), what would be your nightmare year?

For me-

January 2014- Absolute washout with over 160mm of rain!

February 2011- Was either this or 2017 and this one was very dull and monotone.

March 2018- The snow was pretty cool but the lack of sunshine made it poor for me. Could have also picked 2013 and if 2023 was an option, I'd pick that!

April 2012- Way too much rain, completely unsettled.

May 2021- Mostly dull and wet.

June 2016- I think 2012 was a bit worse and more unsettled but I have picked 2012 for April and this one was still as dull as dishwater.

July 2017- Would have used 2011 probably but already used and although this one had a nice spell at the start, it reached almost 100mm of rain!

August 2015- Way too cloudy for my liking.

September 2022- Wet, dull and unsettled and coming off the back of 4 decent Septembers in a row, this was disappointing.

October 2020- Complete washout.

November 2019- Complete washout.

December 2013- Wet and dull.

So overall i prefer sunshine and settled weather but I got no problems with low temps, snow, or a mix of sun and rain. A mix of dull and rain however, is a hell no from me.

What's your nightmare year?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I think we all had that a few years ago, apart from the weather, I think everyone agrees 2020 was the year from hell.

Weather wise I'm not really one for hating any type of weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

January 2017

February 2018

March 2013

April 2012

May 2021

June 2016

July 2011

August 2014 (2011 and 2021 were worse but July and May had to be used for those years)

September 2015

October 2020

November 2019

December 2022

• Like 1

Posted

January 2014 - Mild Washout, say no more

February 2020 - More Mild washout, A theme starting here

March 2022 - Yet More Mild washout. Only saved a little bit by the tiny bit of snow at the end of the month.

April 2012 - More Washout but at least not that mild. I think you can tell I don't like mild washout months in the colder part of the year.

May 2013 - A cool and unsettled month and such a disappointment at the time of year I want it to be warm

June 2021 - A poor summer month after some better Junes before it and even the following one in 2022 was better.

July 2011 - A poor summer month overall and part of a poor summer in general

August 2018 - A let down after that decent weather in May to July 2018. 2014 also a candidate here for that excessive cool weather but already used for January

September 2017 - A bland and boring month as far as I can remember.

October 2016 - Was the only year left and not very memorable. Must have been bad or boring.

November 2019 - Washout

December 2015 - Freakishly mild and wet, Enough said

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

January 2014 - Mild Washout, say no more

February 2020 - More Mild washout, A theme starting here

March 2022 - Yet More Mild washout. Only saved a little bit by the tiny bit of snow at the end of the month.

April 2012 - More Washout but at least not that mild. I think you can tell I don't like mild washout months in the colder part of the year.

May 2013 - A cool and unsettled month and such a disappointment at the time of year I want it to be warm

June 2021 - A poor summer month after some better Junes before it and even the following one in 2022 was better.

July 2011 - A poor summer month overall and part of a poor summer in general

August 2018 - A let down after that decent weather in May to July 2018. 2014 also a candidate here for that excessive cool weather but already used for January

September 2017 - A bland and boring month as far as I can remember.

October 2016 - Was the only year left and not very memorable. Must have been bad or boring.

November 2019 - Washout

December 2015 - Freakishly mild and wet, Enough said

Yeah, doesn't get much worse than a washout month. Surprised March 2022 was a washout in your area though, was nice and bright here unlike this March, which was a total washout.

Posted

Taking the last 12 years ..

Jan and Feb 14

March 20 - weather took  a back seat

Apr 12

May 21

June 12

July 15

Aug 20

Sep - mmm most have been ok, can't think

Oct 13

Nov and Dec 15

Posted
6 hours ago, Don said:

Easy one, 2006 and not just because of the weather!! 😬

I don't remember 2006 much as I was only a teen but looking at the stats, it seems similar to this year so far, with Spring being pretty dull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Using the same rules as last time.

January 2020 probably because it's the only January I have in recent memory that seemed to lack anything notably wintry whatsoever and to me that's just awful. In terms of dullness though I don't remember it being that bad. There have been worse January's but in this timeframe I'd say it takes cake as the worst. I remember a very powerful windstorm around the middle of the month that knocked the power out twice. I was home alone at the time and the roaring winds and pitch blackness wasn't very fun!

February 2019 is an easy one. The "warmwave" was plain disturbing. I don't think warm conditions in the winter do any favour. There's an argument for mild conditions but it just felt very much like a tipping point kind of moment and knowing what would come in July cements it even more. I did see *some* snow at the beginning of the month but that's nowhere enough to save it!

March 2021 I pick for lack of choices. I don't really have much to pick a bone with this month. It was alright. I remember an anticyclone at the start of the month actually producing quite a bit of wet and cloudy weather, then clearing to cool and stormy weather mid-month. It was on course for near normal temperatures until that exceptionally warm end. I wasn't a massive fan as I don't like extremes of warmth too early or late in the year (not a fan of them at any time tbh!). The 31st felt genuinely like a June day which felt utterly bizarre amongst bare trees.

April 2018 is quite an easy pick. The weather seemed determined to be as unusual and unpleasant as it could be during this month. I vaguely remember a sunny day around the 24th of March being the last one until the 5th/6th of April, then returning to dull conditions just right up until the heatwave. That first half was just so mind-numbingly dull. I remember family and friends noting how late the spring was during that year and a complete lack of vegetation. Then of course it flipped. Again, I'm not a fan of extremes of warmth so I just felt like it was too unusual to enjoy it. It was a very fleeting affair though. I remember storm watching on the like the 20th and being amazed at the power of the storms on the south coast. The storms completely fizzled out by the time they got to me and only produced about 10 minutes worth of drizzly rain. The rest of the month was nondescript.

May 2012 I pick not particularly strongly. I don't have much of a memory of the first-half but I do feel like I have vague memories of the heatwave. Little did anyone know that was summer done for many!

June 2017 wasn't a particularly nice month at all. Despite June 2016 being so mind-numbingly dull, I did enjoy it for its thundery nature and the well and truly biblical amounts of rainfall during the month locally (and I've spoken at length of the most intense storm I've ever witnessed on the 25th). June 2017 had nothing going for it really. The first half was often quite poor. I remember a very strong windstorm on the 6th causing local damage and making note of the fact that after a winter devoid of any windstorms it was ironic. I didn't enjoy the hot spell in the second half as I seem to remember it being quite humid. Not great times personally either.

July 2022 I pick not even for the fact I disliked the weather for much of the month. A lot of the times it was very nice, dry and sunny. But that heatwave was freaky and I worry about it being a sign to come. That's a large part of the reason. I went on holiday from the 4th to the 8th down in the southwest and it couldn't have been better weather really.

August 2013 I only pick for the fact there's not any other choices. It wasn't bad. I remember two severe thunderstorms, one on the 2nd and one on the 5th which brought torrential rain and hail. I do remember bright weather at times as well. After mid-month it gets a bit hazy.

September 2016 dragged the summer out a bit too long. Locally there were no storms. The heatwave on the 13th was very interesting though. I long for longer cool nights and this month just failed to deliver any nice autumn chill. It did help to produce some fantastic colours and October and November of this year were very enjoyable. One day that sticks out like a sore thumb was the 3rd which was a grey, cool and wet day.

October 2011 was rank. Way too hot to start with then generally just humid and unpleasant. No autumnal chill and settled weather or cold snaps, just crap. I do remember the 1st very well and how summerlike it was. I also remember the 25th well because thunderstorms were forecast and being afraid at the time I was very anxious. I don't think any materialised in my area though. Does anyone else remember this?

November 2014 is ironically my pick for both. No new info to add to this one. I just remember it being quite mild and unlike other posters I didn't experience any storms that I can remember.

December 2015... vile, disgusting, abhorrent- words that could get me banned. Just a total disgrace of a winter month. I would fill the skies with ash clouds for 500 years just to prevent anything like it happening again. 

That would produce an exceptionally warm year at 11.68C. That's a tad warmer than the warmest 12 months ever, May 2006-April 2007. I dread to think that a year this warm could pop up in the next ten years. 

Surprisingly a slightly wetter than average year with 932.2mm. Massively bumped up by November and December.

• Like 2

Posted

January 2014

February 2022

March 2019 (unremarkable but nothing left)

April 2012

May 2021

June 2016

July 2020

August 2017

September 2018

October 2013 (unremarkable but nothing left)

November 2011 (don’t remember but had to put somewhere)

December 2015

March, October and November are the hardest because I don’t expect anything from these months.

Edited by TheOgre
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, TheOgre said:

January 2014

February 2022

March 2019 (unremarkable but nothing left)

April 2012

May 2021

June 2016

July 2020

August 2017

September 2018

October 2013 (unremarkable but nothing left)

November 2011 (don’t remember but had to put somewhere)

December 2015

March, October and November are the hardest because I don’t expect anything from these months.

Surprised to see September 2018- It was really good in the South East! Not so great in your area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

January - 2020 - a very wet month

February - 2023 - a tiresome month with nothing happening

March - 2013 - as much as I like cold and snow, I don't appreciate it beyond mid March

April - 2012 - a notoriously cool and wet month throughout

May - 2021 - cool and wet until the last few days

June - 2016 - another very wet month, bar the first week

August - 2015 - a coolish month that didn't feel very summery

September - 2017 - quite wet for much of the time, but at least temps were seasonal I guess

October - 2022 - for the same reason as March 2013 but in reverse

November - 2019 - a wet month and overall a very wet autumn

December - 2018 - don't remember much about it

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Surprised to see September 2018- It was really good in the South East! Not so great in your area?

Hot first weekend, rest of the month meh. Not a bad September but there’s no Septembers that stuck out as terrible other than 2017 which I used for August.

Posted

Doing it this time purely for this area:

January 2014

February 2020 

March 1992 (dull, damp and lacking in either serious cold or any warmth. A kind of March version of April 2023)

April 2000 (2023 quite a close second, 2000 for being wetter. 2012 and 1998 are out because both had some snow)

May 2015 (complete waste of a month, didn't reach 20C at all- even 2021 and 1996 managed that.)

June 2012 just beats 1997 as it was duller and cooler. The absolute June from hell would have the first half of 2012 and second half of 1997. Or maybe that's too bad even for there, it's supposed to be hot in hell.

July is a hard one, first 1988 was ahead, I also considered the equally wet 2009. I think I've nominated both on similar polls before. But 1988 wasn't actually too bad for sunshine. July 2010 was just so disgustingly dull at the height of summer and was still wetter than average. It goes in this time.

August 2008. Beat off stiff competition from 1992, 2010 and several Augusts that ruined a good summer (2006, 2014, 2018). All three summer months below 100 hours of sunshine. Surely that can't ever actually happen even round here???

September 1994. The worst overall of the 4 successive poor Septembers 1992-95. 2017 definitely the worst of the 21st century followed by 2001.

October- 1998, 2000 and 2019 are in a very close race. 2019 "wins" this time.

So 2000 "wins" for November instead. I've said 2002 in the past but here in Shropshire it doesnt seem to have been as grim as it was up in Newcastle where I was at the time. 

December- new nomination, 2021. Revoltingly dull, a fortnight without sun at one point when it was often chilly but not cold, it lacked snow and went very mild at the end. Can't put 2015 in as it was so extraordinary.

What does this year give? Temp/rain/sun for Shawbury:

Mean temp 9.77C

Rainfall 1132mm

Sunshine 1014.7hrs

Driest month 52.7mm, sunniest 152.5 hrs, only 3 months above 100 hrs sun and 7 with over 100mm rain.

First day over 20C: 20th June 

Max temp 26.0C on 10 July

25C reached on 2 days

Last day over 20C: 2nd September

Lowest max 5.0C on 19, 21 and 22 Dec

Lowest min -4.4C on 21 Nov

No lying snow

Wow. Never thought I could make a year quite that bad from actual months that happened!

Posted
6 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Doing it this time purely for this area:

January 2014

February 2020 

March 1992 (dull, damp and lacking in either serious cold or any warmth. A kind of March version of April 2023)

April 2000 (2023 quite a close second, 2000 for being wetter. 2012 and 1998 are out because both had some snow)

May 2015 (complete waste of a month, didn't reach 20C at all- even 2021 and 1996 managed that.)

June 2012 just beats 1997 as it was duller and cooler. The absolute June from hell would have the first half of 2012 and second half of 1997. Or maybe that's too bad even for there, it's supposed to be hot in hell.

July is a hard one, first 1988 was ahead, I also considered the equally wet 2009. I think I've nominated both on similar polls before. But 1988 wasn't actually too bad for sunshine. July 2010 was just so disgustingly dull at the height of summer and was still wetter than average. It goes in this time.

August 2008. Beat off stiff competition from 1992, 2010 and several Augusts that ruined a good summer (2006, 2014, 2018). All three summer months below 100 hours of sunshine. Surely that can't ever actually happen even round here???

September 1994. The worst overall of the 4 successive poor Septembers 1992-95. 2017 definitely the worst of the 21st century followed by 2001.

October- 1998, 2000 and 2019 are in a very close race. 2019 "wins" this time.

So 2000 "wins" for November instead. I've said 2002 in the past but here in Shropshire it doesnt seem to have been as grim as it was up in Newcastle where I was at the time. 

December- new nomination, 2021. Revoltingly dull, a fortnight without sun at one point when it was often chilly but not cold, it lacked snow and went very mild at the end. Can't put 2015 in as it was so extraordinary.

What does this year give? Temp/rain/sun for Shawbury:

Mean temp 9.77C

Rainfall 1132mm

Sunshine 1014.7hrs

Driest month 52.7mm, sunniest 152.5 hrs, only 3 months above 100 hrs sun and 7 with over 100mm rain.

First day over 20C: 20th June 

Max temp 26.0C on 10 July

25C reached on 2 days

Last day over 20C: 2nd September

Lowest max 5.0C on 19, 21 and 22 Dec

Lowest min -4.4C on 21 Nov

No lying snow

Wow. Never thought I could make a year quite that bad from actual months that happened!

At the rate 2023 is going, your created year may be a dream in comparison! Lol.

Posted

Easy for me, 2022, far too hot. I am a confirmed heat hater, I was miserable for a good bit of the summer.

What is interesting is that I was born in 1957, and had an interest from meteorology from probably 10 or 11, growing up in the 60s and early 70s I could never have envisaged 40C (104F in the units in use around that period) being acheived in the UK. It was the sort of temperature associated with the Mediterranean and Africa. 36C was the record back then, with even the summer of 1976 only almost breaking the record.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

An interesting one though i don't remember that many hated months since i tend to forget poor months.. 

Jan - 2014 (this was not winter)

Feb - 2014 (this was not winter)

August - 2004 (humid)

Dec - 2015 (not winter)

• 6 months later...
Posted

Using years 2012-2023

January 2016 - Basically a colder version of the horrible December 2015, though there was snow mid-month. 2014 was worse, but I used it for August
February 2022 - The worst month of 2022, as it was very wet mid-month, though the 3 storms mid-month were interesting. The month only had 1 frost
March 2013 - I like cold and snow, but I dimply do not appreciate it through March, and it was also very dull. 2018 and 2023 are other candidates due to wet and dull weather
April 2018 - Despite the exceptionally hot spell from the 18th-22nd, this doesnt hide the fact that the rest of the month was cold, dull and miserable. Only 20 hours in the first 13 days.  2012 was worse, but I used it for June
May 2021 - A huge contrast to all the other good Mays before it, as well as the April. It was cold, dull and never stopped raining until the 26th. The last 5 days were nice, but couldnt save it. This wasnt May, it was November in my books. The absolute worst May would be 26th April - 26th May 2021
June 2012 - Isnt it obvious, it already holds two of the worst records, wettest and dullest. Maximum temepratures werent too far from the record either. Only 5 dry days, just 77 hours of sun and only 3 days above 20c. Simply, a June version of August 1912. The only good thing is the supercell thunderstorm on the 28th
July 2023 - A flashback to the poor summers of 2007-2012, being cool, dull, wet and windy. Basically, a July version of April 2012
August 2014 - The worst August I can think of in the past 12 years. Despite it being very wet, and cold after the 10th, sunshine was still good. There wasnt a really dire August since 2008, but this ruined a good summer
September 2017 - Easily the worst September of the decade. It was just so boring, and poor for all parameters
October 2020 - A dire and boring October. Other than the 14th-19th, it didnt stop raining, and became windy in the last week. No frosts, and no days above 16c, and the 3rd dullest on record. I woulds have picked 2019 iif it wasnt for the cold, sunny spell at the end. 2023 was a lot wetter, but had redeeming features, so its not in the bad pile
November 2019 - Not as bad for other locations, but this was a horrible month, and the worst of the 6 month period of dross. Even 2009 brought in more interesting storms, but that boring November brought in just rain and floods. Sunshine was few and far between. No redeeming features at all
December 2015 - Obvious, as it was way too mild, and also wet and dull too. December 2010s enemy in my opinon. At least, I would spend less on gas though. The only mild winter months I like are Feb 2019 types

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Simple. 2023 😉

Seriously, a year close to being one from hell could be obtained by taking 2023 and:

1) Replacing the second half of January with that of 2014

2) Replacing all of February with February 2020

3) Replacing May 13-31 with the equivalent period in 1983

4) Replacing June 1-25 with the equivalent period in 2012

5) Replacing September 1-15 with the equivalent period in 2017

Overall, few years beat 2023 for tedious damp, dull Atlantic-dominated dreariness for such a large proportion of the year.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Following OPs rules this would be my nightmare year

Jan 2014

Feb 2020

Mar 2023

April 2012

May 2021

June 2016 (would have used 2012 but April 2012 exists)

July 2015

August 2017 

Sept 2022

Oct 2019

Nov= Blur to be honest

Dec= 2013

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 hours ago, Weather-history said:

2002!  It was a snoozefest

Combining months 

January 2014 

February 2020:  extraordinarily wet and failed cold zonality

March 1988

April 2012

May 1991

June 1987

July 1988

August 2008

September 1994

October 2000

November 2000

December 2006

July 1988 really was a stinker 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 16/11/2023 at 08:44, Weather-history said:

2002!  It was a snoozefest

Combining months 

January 2014 

February 2020:  extraordinarily wet and failed cold zonality

March 1988

April 2012

May 1991

June 1987

July 1988

August 2008

September 1994

October 2000

November 2000

December 2006

Don't disagree with Jan and Feb.

March 1988 was unusually boring (weather wise) for March, I agree, very southwesterly, dull and often rather damp, if I remember right. Not as bad as March 2023 though, nor March 1981 though my memories of the latter are somewhat vague. 1989 was similar to 1988 but was saved by the warm and sunny final week.

Don't disagree too much about 2012 though perhaps 1983 was even worse.

I have to disagree about May 1991 though, a long way from the worst May. Benign and very dry, but not that sunny. Easily "beaten" by many other Mays. I'd probably go with 1981 or 1983 for worst May though can't remember either of them that clearly. In more recent times, has to be 2021.

1987 wasn't the worst June for me, as it did have an interesting convective spell with a slow moving low, sunny starts and showers or thunderstorms during the afternoon, from around June 8-15. Worse for me were 2012, 2016, 1985 and 1991.

1988 would probably be second worst for me. Based on the report here, 2023 would likely be the worst though I missed much of it.

August 1985 was probably even worse than 2008, as the latter at least had a settled week towards the end. Aug 1985 seemed to be constant zonality, if I remember right.

Difficult to find one for Sep as it's rarely that terrible. Perhaps 2017.

Oct and Nov - no disagreements!

For Dec it's got to be 2015. 2006 at least had a cold and frosty spell for around 10 days from mid-month.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
18 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

For Dec it's got to be 2015. 2006 at least had a cold and frosty spell for around 10 days from mid-month.

Very much depends on location.

Virtually no frost here during December 2006. That cold spell was basically, chilly and cloudy. Anticyclonic gloom and little variation in temperatures. It was tedious, the only good thing about it was at least dry.  

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1